What are you currently working on??

so many things going, IDK which end is up, can't seem to stay on 1 thing, having to bounce around like a yoyo on things to get done...
working on my newest (to me) truck, got it to run, got exhaust built, working on refurbish of wiring, waiting on CD copies of factory service manuals, for their wiring diagrams..... for the year of truck and 1 year prior// as that's the year of the "junkyard donated" wiring harness..... so that puts me "on hold" on that project for the moment.... I did put the overhauled carb on in the meantime, can't run it yet, though.

went to (automotive) junkyard yesterday, have had my eye on 2 Cubs there, since winter/ they had a pretty complete 108 come in that seemed decent.... that tractor was in nice shape, just dirty and missing a couple of minor things. and a 127 that has seen better days. wasn't worried about them when it was cold out..... but the 108 has since disappeared, and the 127 has been moved each of the past couple times I have been there...... yesterday, I noticed that all the recent drop off cars that usually occupy the entry lane outside that fence, were gone, replaced by a road grader and piles of fresh gravel, within the past few days.... and the inside of the fence where the motorcycles and GTs are usually at, had been similarly cleared.... and the GTs had been moved farther down the (inside of) the fence line..... the 127 seemed a little more "beat up" than before, certainly more bent up, as I'm sure they aren't very careful in how they move things..... Cub spec (narrow base oil pan, 1" diam crank) Kohlers seem hard to find around here. and this one still had its engine// so I went and made it "mine".... before it wound up in the crusher. I originally thought of it as a "rebuildable core" but it turns free, has compression... and has 2 stickers on the shroud, it seems that somewhere along the line, this engine has been short blocked.... I can see "kohler gray" under the dirt and grime on the block... might make the original engine on the 129, the rebuildable core!
carb throttle shaft has slop, but not siezed.... even came with a K&N air filter element.... looks like it had been thru at least a couple of farm style auctions before it wound up at the junkyard..... might have to bolt it to my 129 and let it rip, see if it runs...

had taken the starter/gen for said 129 to starter shop this week, as it had struggled to get its engine over the compression stroke hump... OK now. That engine runs again now, but it's obviously tired. (smokes blue, whenever throttled up) also now have a spare starter/generator to take to starter shop.
Over the past couple days, my son (new home owner) has been calling me asking me about water well issues.... as it turns out, his well tank was waterlogged (bad bladder) This morning I took the wife to work, then went to garage to start working on getting slop out of hydro linkage of the 129.... just about got it apart, and kid showed up wanting me to go to store with him, to get what he thought was last of fittings he'd need, and go help him swap the tanks out....
went to menards and got his fittings, back to his house (20+ miles 1 way from closest place to get plumbing fittings) went in crawlspace to scope out what he had for myself and realized he had about 1/2 the wrong stuff including a way too small well tank compared to the old one and how many faucets he has in that place... so BACK to Menards to exchange what he had gotten for what he really needed... then BACK to his house to finally swap them out..... got home just in time for the wife to get off work and she wanted take out pizza for mothers day.... and since I already cut off the gas for the season to the garage furnace/ and I didn't feel like climbing up there and relighting the pilot but didn't feel like working in 38* raw and wind, I said screw it and came in here and got on the computer...… not much gets done like that.
Pot pizza for mothers day. Novel idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rust hole above gas filler door. Welded patch in.

Noel

Attachments

• C5C25960-3FCE-4C51-BB3F-276C4BE25A2A.jpeg
    C5C25960-3FCE-4C51-BB3F-276C4BE25A2A.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 4
  • 351046A3-19EA-4F47-800A-19A96357770E.jpeg
    351046A3-19EA-4F47-800A-19A96357770E.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 46AE0AAD-7E20-4AB2-B4BD-9757A25AAF03.jpeg
    46AE0AAD-7E20-4AB2-B4BD-9757A25AAF03.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 4
  • A8A609B6-8095-434C-927D-41EEB4FB74AC.jpeg
    A8A609B6-8095-434C-927D-41EEB4FB74AC.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 955C968E-249D-49C8-83DA-EC5DAA7DB73D.jpeg
    955C968E-249D-49C8-83DA-EC5DAA7DB73D.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 6
  • A64FDB34-DFB2-42BE-AF16-FA6CAC0569CC.jpeg
    A64FDB34-DFB2-42BE-AF16-FA6CAC0569CC.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 6
Saturday I had to replace a broken door handle on my Toyota truck, had a spare door. After replacing door handle I fitted one of the Toyota arm rests in my '41 IHC,,,looks fine, sits right so installed the pair. Armrests been on my bucket list for years.
As well found my OLight big help working inside door panel of Toyota. Light has both a belt/hat clip and powerful magnet.

Attachments

• IMG_6647.JPG
    IMG_6647.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 61075132453__A4AC1369-D53F-49DD-9285-739C827FF051.JPG
    61075132453__A4AC1369-D53F-49DD-9285-739C827FF051.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 11
All I got done tractor-wise this weekend is to order another set of bearings to rebuild one more MF610 mower deck spindle so I have one ready in case of a failure. I was darn lucky that I had one ready when a bearing failed last year. I had gotten one done preparing for the deck rebuild in the coming winter/spring but couldn't do any more as the deck was still cutting grass!

DAC

Last edited:
Saturday I had to replace a broken door handle on my Toyota truck, had a spare door. After replacing door handle I fitted one of the Toyota arm rests in my '41 IHC,,,looks fine, sits right so installed the pair. Armrests been on my bucket list for years.
As well found my OLight big help working inside door panel of Toyota. Light has both a belt/hat clip and powerful magnet.
I like that armrest idea! I never put any in my '55. It is still all stock armstrong steering but they would still get used occasionally! What year Toyota?

DAC

Got an 04 Tacoma with a loose outside driver door handle. Just about doesn't work. Been putting it off cause I hate working on auto doors. Especially since they started putting all the electrical in them. So how bad are the Toyota doors?
Don

Got an 04 Tacoma with a loose outside driver door handle. Just about doesn't work. Been putting it off cause I hate working on auto doors. Especially since they started putting all the electrical in them. So how bad are the Toyota doors?
Don
Easy. I checked YouTube as to how to remove inside door handle. The rest was quite simple. My truck is all manual, not a wire in my door
This is what causes looseness. See the white plastic. That is the breakE047E567-2114-4A69-9669-9F3C44D01DC7.jpeg

Looks like that box is shaping up Noel! You'll get a bunch of years out of that truck yet!

My plans for after work got put off for a while. I went in to talk to my wife for awhile, and about the time she wanted to watch news I started for the door and rain started pretty hard! Got to the shop anyway and went on the 'net for a while. Finally about 6 the rain quit so I got the overhead door open and checked the timing and idle speeds on the '55 GMC. I had the carb off of it last weekend and have been wanting to tune it in a bit. Weather never cooperated enough the have the door open until after this rain.
Got it idling well and timed. I'll hit the pavement and gravel again with it in the morning. Tomorrow, I'm only working until noon. Took the afternoon off to try and get the mowing done.

DAC

That the white between your thumb and finger?
Don
/
My thumb is on the piece that broke away from the rest which is the white piece..

So yesterday on my way home my right rear brake shoes locked up. Not sure whats happened but I read its likely a faulty wheel cylinder. Never experienced this. Brake smoking when i got home so I'll be dealing with this today.

Finally got the BGB in the AC 912 but haven't got it put back together. If it drys up I will mow the grass today other wise I will get the tractor put back together.

Done of the body work and paint.

Noel

Attachments

• 8AA47450-902D-4243-86B8-C33FD7315A1B.jpeg
    8AA47450-902D-4243-86B8-C33FD7315A1B.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 98889B09-CFF1-40F6-AFFC-4700BF22DB18.jpeg
    98889B09-CFF1-40F6-AFFC-4700BF22DB18.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 7
  • FC88A454-64D9-4262-99BA-6756C31EE8C6.png
    FC88A454-64D9-4262-99BA-6756C31EE8C6.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • E8E0D9BC-DFFB-4B80-8B36-FAFA78056BB6.jpeg
    E8E0D9BC-DFFB-4B80-8B36-FAFA78056BB6.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 7
  • DBCD5C0B-DBAF-482B-AB6B-7CEC375A279F.jpeg
    DBCD5C0B-DBAF-482B-AB6B-7CEC375A279F.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 846FEB8B-D315-4C1B-A896-5AFC37318BC6.png
    846FEB8B-D315-4C1B-A896-5AFC37318BC6.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
well... last day of this week off due to COVID (I always have weekends off anyway, since I took this job/ so I'm not counting tomorrow and Sunday as "days off") as of now I work next M-F, and have the next week off again (COVID related, company mandate) but I haven't been counting on that next week off, til Friday at 3:30 comes, and I haven't heard different by then. the kid (my "only") came by with their Trailblazer, wanted me to check it out for a bad wheel bearing, a couple days ago... Oh yeah/ driver front is beyond shot… noisey by 20 MPH, can feel the gas pedal vibrating/buzzing because of it, jacked it up and the wheel had ~3/4" of wobble/slop.
It was quiet as can be, Sunday, when we made that Menards run in it, for the plumbing work we had to do at his house... IDK what happened to it, between Sunday and Tuesday?
Once I got into it I discovered both ball joints on that side had play, what I had to pull off for that bearing, was about halfway to getting the spindle off for the ball joints.... so they got changed too.... I did the other side, back when the daughter in law 1st bought this thing almost 100K miles ago (bought with 150K, now at 250K) the pass side ones were shot then, and I suggested doing all 4 then, she said "her Dad says only change the ones that show 'bad' at this time, dont do the others".... I'm surprised it went this long between the pass side being worn out and the driver's side showing bad...
I put outer tie rod ends on this thing last summer, they had it aligned/ ball joints seemed fine then. I need to check the ones on the other side... just because it's been 100K since I changed them/ but now that last month, she started a new job 2 counties away, and over an hour travel time each way, "on a good day"/ whether she likes it or not, when it comes here for service, she'll have to put up with my "executive decisions" being I'd be the one playing "Roadside Rescue".... which I DON'T want, to have to do. I avoid going into Chicago, like the plague. so I DON'T want her breaking down there.
The past couple days, I have been hard at it, finishing my underhood rewire on my newest to me truck, my 85 D-150. I went to a yard and got the best harness they had on a yard truck at the time, I went thru and fixed all the bad spots (cracked insulation, much less previous owner interference on the junkyard harness than my original, plus it was already set up for plain old electronic ignition, rather than the "computer ignition" that mine originally had.... which was getting ripped out and tossed in the trash, no matter what. even if it hadnt come to me with hacked wiring.
Yesterday I finished modifying the mount bracket for my junkyard sourced underhood fuse box, so it would fit my truck, involved welding, bending 3/4" flat stock in the vise, adding a few Nutserts, back n forth between the truck and the vise several times.... and re did my drawing of said fuse box since my original went MIA, so I could know which wires coming from beneath the fuse box went to which fuse slot with it mounted and the bottom cover in place.... so I could tell which circuit from my truck, was being put to which fuse slot within the fuse box....

One thing I have always hated about Dodge products, was their wiring protection setup... fusible links. To pop in a new fuse, is so much easier... and whether I rebuilt the old hacked harness, or the junkyard harness, each had at least 1 blown fusible link to be tended to, (original harnbess had 2) so the truck could run without jumpered out wiring, (which I did just so I could hear the engine run, to make sure it was in serviceable shape...) though it's nearly impossible to kill a Slant 6..... though older Fords had a similar system with multiple fusible links back then, too.....
so today, I laid out the new harness and hooked up what I could, mounted the fuse box, and trimmed/crimped/soldered/ applied heat shrink as needed, 1 circuit at a time, while I went back to that drawing and charted what circuit I put to which fuse.... I split things up and put a couple more things thru the fuse box than was originally fused, with those PITA links.
how they worked was, they put a short length of wire 4 gauge sizes smaller than parent circuit (12 ga circuit got a length of 16 ga fusible link) with different (lower melting temp) wire, and different insulation that was supposed to "contain" the heat when a link blew, to keep from having a "wire fire"..... but they'd blow at the worst times, and I never had fusible link wire of 4 different gauge sizes, dykes, crimpers with me when I had issue with them, I've only had a couple blow over the years and fortunately in the driveway or close to home..... a few extra fuses of the different style from original, in the glove box, is an easier alternative. I used the huge "MAXI" fuses..... larger version of the bladed plastic fuses we have gotten used to.
now to hook up carb linkage, make my new fuel line from filter to carb (old one leaked at carb fitting), fire it up and dial in timing and carb adjustments, it should be ready to go down the road. I have 3 people wanting me to do "car-work" side jobs/ and the original muffler on my daily driver 96 Dakota is screaming at me// so while I wasn't initially in a hurry to get this truck done, and I'm still not, at least when I get that carb hooked up and plop the battery in, I can move it in n out under its own power, so I can free up my hoist. I ain't doing front-to-back brake lines on a Chevy truck, or shocks/struts on both a Clown Vic and some kind of (ugh) Toyota on my back, no more..... especially when I have my own 2 post lift.
I plan on getting/doing the needed body work and fresh paint, down the road (wife don't know that yet)
GT/small engine wise, I finally got me a good commercial duty push mower, a Ransomes Bobcat the other day.... been looking for a while. PO didn't want to spend the crazy money for new wheels, they thought "the only" solution was OEM replacements, I had some here (brand new!) that work fine, same diameter and width, just slightly different in hub width. I bought them for something else a while ago and *brain fart* they wouldn't work for the original intent, so they have been sitting here.... got them "on a deal" at a surplus store I stopped at while passing thru 2 states away... thought they'd work on another machine, I have but they're 10" and I needed 8s for that one.... but they fit this one! Steel hubs, and ball bearings too, just like the originals from this machine.
I initially put them on this mower, spaced out with a stack of 4 washers each, and I discovered that what is basically a square nut that fits in indentions in the deck, depending on cut height you want, was cracked in half....
the next morning after I got it, I went to mow my yard and "discovered" the cracked square nut. so I tacked it together, put it back on and did about 4 swipes, now it cracked in "quarters," instead of just in 1/2. good thing I have a few more push mowers in the garage, huh?

so I asked the kid if the machinist at work could do me a "gov't job".. the original nuts were ~7/16" thick, and threaded 1/2" coarse within, I had 2 each made, that were 3/4" thick and 1" thick, to try. The 1" thick ones fit perfect, no extra washers needed, to prevent rubbing. It's back together, I mowed Wednesday, we had 5-3/4" of rain yesterday (and expecting more Sunday) my yard already looks like it needs cut again... I guess the Turf Builder did its job... If I don't cut it again tomorrow, I'll have to call a combine and a baler after this next batch of rain.....
next job small engine wise, when I get a chance, I want to swap on that "new" K301 that I got from the boneyard onto my Cub 129, and see what it'll do....... see if (and how well, at that point), it runs or not. just because. Its original one runs, has plenty of power/ but smokes noticeably out the breather under heavy load. the "new" engine has been short blocked, is stickered as such, and is that "universal Kohler gray" but who knows how recently...... you guys know how that goes......... I want to check it out and see.

You have been super busy Trucker! It has to take quite a bit of time to remove a donor harness from a vehicle doesn't it? Sounds like a cost effective way to get the stuff you need though.

I did some "environmentally correct" disposal of some fluids today. I have a lot of floor dry on hand so I emptied my old solvent tank that I really don't use any more since the pump quit. The solvent looked pretty good yet not mixed so I saved 5 gallons straining it through paint filters. I'll just pour out a bit here and there for washing parts. Will scrap the rest. Then I figured since I was on that roll I would also dispose of a couple gallons of old anti freeze that I had in a "redneck mouse trap". there were 7 or 8 dead mice in the bottom of the bucket. If I would have been better at maintaining it there would have been a lot more. It was out in one of my sheds and got tired of having it in the way.

The dump and garbage collectors will take that kind of stuff long as it isn't runny liquid, hence mixing it with floor dry.

DAC

There, all undercoated.

Noel

Attachments

• E75F4682-5923-4DD5-8B28-D0C0F9901244.jpeg
    E75F4682-5923-4DD5-8B28-D0C0F9901244.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 7AF75E0E-5808-4894-B606-66A31B2DD568.jpeg
    7AF75E0E-5808-4894-B606-66A31B2DD568.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 94A211F9-72B6-41B3-880C-AD11846F6B26.jpeg
    94A211F9-72B6-41B3-880C-AD11846F6B26.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 0CAC38F8-366C-4ADA-94A5-2759E80A0014.jpeg
    0CAC38F8-366C-4ADA-94A5-2759E80A0014.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 9
  • DE6F8689-D9DD-452A-A327-AA2CDEBE73ED.jpeg
    DE6F8689-D9DD-452A-A327-AA2CDEBE73ED.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 46CEF864-4726-4D73-8529-453D6C9F7D55.jpeg
    46CEF864-4726-4D73-8529-453D6C9F7D55.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 762B00E8-FEDE-45F7-B7AA-9D227BA7E515.jpeg
    762B00E8-FEDE-45F7-B7AA-9D227BA7E515.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 8
Right rear wheel locked up Tuesday morning on pickup. Seems glue let go on pad and it jammed in drum. When they quit riveting pads to brake shoes.
Also installing new exhaust this week and replacing a crossmember that supports fuel tank...centre of support rotted at bottom...of course everything all good and solid,,,I just created a bunch of work for myself, but its been on my "to do" list for a few years.

There truck done. Just need to finish a couple small things and get my cap back from my son. Didn’t think I would have truck ready till weekend. Oh well a couple days early.

Noel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 3051D300-650F-47F9-B372-D2CFB5292580.jpeg
    3051D300-650F-47F9-B372-D2CFB5292580.jpeg
    315.1 KB · Views: 15
Back