What are you currently working on??

I finally got the wife to help me defrost the freezer I have in the garage. The door got left open slightly a couple time and it was full of frost. Got it as empty as could the then moved it to the edge of the drive. Sure was a lot lighter going back in. Now I will get some corn so we can freeze it next Sat.

I have one that has a bad seal across the top. Use a hair dryer on it every couple weeks as new seal is NLA. Don't move that kind of stuff any more. Had the shoulders repaired once and hope to keep them fairly good now. Corn is about done here. Ears aare smaller with smaller than normal kernals. Taste is good but not really what you want for canning/freezing.

The last several years we camped we have a 32' pull type. Older low profile unit 2 steps to get inside. Park it in the drive and do the cloths and fridge stuff the next day. Pop up is almost like a tent when it come to the work. Had both of them too.

Well we had thought of staying in Ohio an extra day kinda glad we didn't, kinda wish we had
On the way home from work yesterday as I headed west from work towards home it was getting darker and darker. Then came the wind. At one point I felt like my little Dakota got picked up and moved sideways about 6" as I cruised along, crossed the next intersection (surrounded by corn fields 8'tall) and into a wall of rain all of a sudden I couldn't see 10' in front of me.
Headed north now, felt like I was in the movie twister having to weave in both lanes to avoid running over tree branches in the road.
A lil farther north and a power pole was across the south bound lane with the cross pole right on the yellow stripe, about 4 poles north was another broke, held about 3' suspended by line tension
Was behind a maroon truck that had idiots pull out on him from side roads 2 different times. The 2nd one, I don't know how he didn't t-bone the idiot/ it was close.
As the idiot made his left turn (he definitely wasn't going very far after his left turn anyway) he was staring at me like deer in headlights, instead of looking at the truck he almost collided with.
About then my phone pinged with a text (I despise those) that said there was a huge limb down on the garage side of my house
But what it didn't say was that I had a 12" or fatter tree limb ON my house, but I do. Sitting on top of my attached garage.
Brand new gutters about 2 years ago the one on that side is destroyed. Mad dash 1st to get camper hooked to truck and backed between house and other garage for protection, then cleaned up what limbs we could, neighbor came over with a chainsaw and we cut up what we could. Got a tree guy coming to get rest off of roof, too big for me. And get the big limb out of the tree that is broke off and being held in the tree like a basket too high for me to access and right over the power line. Then moved stuff around in detached garage and got camper inside. Was told we had a 2nd wave of storms coming that wound up not coming.
Been 15 hours and counting on a generator, power has been out for 18 hours so far. Had to call off of work today.

Last edited:
After we got the camper in the garage I went over and climbed on another neighbors roof to help clear a tree off of it, we had 3 people up there, me plus the son of the owner and another neighbor on the saw with 2 of us pulling limbs away and tossing on the ground, as the 3rd guy sawed. They had 2 longer limbs than mine on the roof but we're only about 6-7" thick not 12" like mine. We found 2 holes in their roof and many soft spongey spots as we worked.
About the time we blew the last of the stuff off the roof the house owner's other son got there with tarps, and as I came back home the 2 brothers were cutting up blue tarps and nailing them down.
Made good use of about 1/2 of the dozen or so Coleman lanterns I have, with not having power. I lit them and gave a couple to neighbors to use. Gotta get to Wally world for more white gas after the tree guy comes and goes it sounds like I will need those at least 1more nite maybe 2 before power is restored

Finished up the new wood storing spot. Also went thru the pile that I have of old pallets and boards. Got that kind of sorted. 4 good pallets left and bunch of boards. Most of the other 15 or so pallets are no good. Some could be cut up for fire wood.

Attachments

• DCD7B237-E934-4387-B5DE-2260CD065C50.png
    DCD7B237-E934-4387-B5DE-2260CD065C50.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 4
  • C7A042BD-FE3F-4559-A71B-206805FD299A.png
    C7A042BD-FE3F-4559-A71B-206805FD299A.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 5
About an hour & half yesterday cleaning a dead tree off the gravel road and branches down on the East area. Another 2 hours this morning with cleaning up the rest of the yard. Love the trees, great shade and keep it a lot cooler around the place but when hose Hybrid Poplars get 16 - 18 years old they really start dropping branches in the wind. At least no building damage. Insurance companies, all of them, sure stuck it to the policy holders when they initiated the mandatory $1000 deductible for wind and hail damage. That is usually about 80% of their claims. Pocket liners for them. Pisses me off.

After we got the camper in the garage I went over and climbed on another neighbors roof to help clear a tree off of it, we had 3 people up there, me plus the son of the owner and another neighbor on the saw with 2 of us pulling limbs away and tossing on the ground, as the 3rd guy sawed. They had 2 longer limbs than mine on the roof but we're only about 6-7" thick not 12" like mine. We found 2 holes in their roof and many soft spongey spots as we worked.
About the time we blew the last of the stuff off the roof the house owner's other son got there with tarps, and as I came back home the 2 brothers were cutting up blue tarps and nailing them down.
Made good use of about 1/2 of the dozen or so Coleman lanterns I have, with not having power. I lit them and gave a couple to neighbors to use. Gotta get to Wally world for more white gas after the tree guy comes and goes it sounds like I will need those at least 1more nite maybe 2 before power is restored
Hope you folks get power back on soon! Sounds like a nasty wind storm!

Not only nasty but covered a big long area. Started NW of Omaha some place, then followed the highway 20 - 30 corridor across at least 3 or states.

power is back on as of ~1/2 hour ago, I had heard reports all day that we might be dead til Sat..... as it was we were without for 27-28 hours straight. aggravated with the tree guy we called yesterday... said he would be here today. Waited here ALL DAY, took off work, etc and I STILL have a 12" diam limb on the roof over my head as we speak.... reluctantly made a gas run thinking Id miss him this morning, finally went to Wally world for white gas for the lanterns about 3:30, got out of truck made it 2 steps before I heard "Sorry we are closed due to no power" so I made a mad dash 8 miles north on the interstate to the next most likely place to have it and just as I got on the off ramp, my wife called looking for the gas cans I filled up this morning which were in the bed of the truck I was in.... generator just ran out of gas. Id checked it about 1PM and thought it had more in it than that.

gutter is trashed, metal roof panels trashed at least last 6" to eave that I can see so far.... not even a call saying "sorry got tied up" or a drive by, nothing. at least I wont have to get dressed at 3:30 AM to refuel the generator again. didnt sleep last nite, just laid in bed for ~8-1/2 hours with my eyes closed...... got everything that I can, cleaned up in yard and piled up last nite before dark. . I am in a real jam as far as going to work (or not) tomorrow..... I don't want anyone coming here without me being here, had I known he'd be later in the day (if at all) I could have gone to work today,
I'm the only mechanic at that location and am slammed as it is. even had I been there today and if I would be there tomorrow as if nothing happened....
I think that I have enough leftover metal roofing from when I did the roof in 09 to do the whole west hip if I would have to.... strapped to the inside of the roof rafters in the detached garage...... Menards threatened to send someone out to measure as "they usually dont trust customer measurements" as everything is computer input, they were supposed to send me exactly just enough.... I dont trust computer estimation programs.... at the time they cost me a ton more than they should have. At the time I put the old gutters back on for a few years before I could manage to get the new ones.

Pulled RV into lake lot and smoke started billoWing out from under hood. Waited 2 beers to let things cool down and found newly installed power steering pressure fitting had come loose. Tightened it back up but I wonder if they forgot to install a compression washer?? Or just did not tighten fitting?

Well, tree guys finally got here late this morning, were here all of 20 minutes, picked up the huge limb on the roof just had a small amount in the grapple bucket and lifted it right off, it was several feet longer than the Bobcat that the bucket was attached to, if it were alongside of it. He had as much of it in the bucket as possible with the rest sticking out length wise with the Bobcat, and dropped it in the ditch on top of the smaller limbs that already filled it. i'm surprised that the Bobcat didn't do a nosedive holding the load like that.

Then he had his wife all 120 lbs of her, in the Bobcat raise him up while standing on the grapple bucket, in the tree that lost the limb. He wrapped a rope from the winch on the chipper/ shredder around the other busted limb that was still being cradled by limbs below, and used that to drag the limb out of the tree, parallel to my power line.
Said that he woke up this morning with 92 tree calls still to go so he was off and running. Before mine he had a couple of others in the neighborhood, I went over where they were and helped them feed the chipper and clean up the street while they worked on those jobs.
A not so well liked neighbor of mine came over and asked his help if they could cut this one limb of hers that is split lengthwise and points towards the house and is somewhat over it.
Mike put the bobcat back on the trailer, and was telling his guys which jobs to head to next, I mentioned the neighbor that came over and was asking his help to come cut that limb for her....
2 weeks ago she had somebody else take out 2 trees in her backyard.
That's when I found out about the 92 customers stacked up, which is about a month worth of work, Mike told me that he had bid that job and that she can call whoever took out the trees in her back yard to take care of her/ or else call HIM and get in line.
I was getting a little aggravated with him myself just not knowing when he would get over here as he told my wife it would be yesterday, so I stayed home from work for nothing. I stayed home again today just hoping.

I figured he would have climbed on the roof and cut it up in sections from up there.

I guess that the village has hired some guys with pickup trucks and trailers to haul whatever people put at the ditch, they were in and outta here probably 25x each yesterday. Mike the tree guy said they were coming around, just to cut up what I have a bit smaller for them to haul, so I went to farm and fleet and bought me a new stihl.
I have an old remington in the garage that I haven't tried to start since I got it, and needed something "now". They had 2 on a rack yesterday that had been bought and returned, today they only had 1. So I bought that one. Paint wasn't worn off the bar at all but I could tell it had been used a little. Still warranty as if I'd gotten a brand new one but a little bit cheaper. New ones there were slim pickens. All cut up now, just gotta pull the nice burnable stuff out and separate, and do a little restacking of the pile in the ditch

Now I see my metal roof is wrinkled on that side, I gotta go up and see if there's any holes but so far not looking like it from the ground. And then up into the attic to check the rafters. I hope those are ok, all of them on that hip were brand new when I put the metal roof on in 2009 house was built in '67, same age as me.

Spent the day cutting down a few tree limbs that were cracked from Mondays storm. 2 were touching the roof but small enough I was able to cut them with my pole saw. Then I took the chain saw to a few more limbs that in a few years will be up over the roof if they were not cut down. 4 pick up loads of limbs to the city tree dump site.
After tree duty I painted the snow blade frame for the case a couple of coats of orange paint and then one coat of Flambeau Red. I was able to get a gallon of Flambeau Red mixed up but was told one of the toners is not being made any more so I am using it just as a final top coat color.
Once painting was done I pulled around the MF14 I usually mow with but the last time I mowed the engine was really laboring with the deck going along with pulling the hills. I decided to check the valve clearances and both were to tight, once they were adjusted correctly and carb reinstalled I mowed my front yard with no issues and it mowed the small hill going to the back yard with no issues, I hope to have the issue resolved. I then pulled my other MF14 i have used to mow with a couple of times and redid the valve clearances on it also.

Nothing, waiting for the phone repair to show up. No usable phone since Friday noon.
Got a msg this morning around 11:15 on my cell that they had been dispatched. We were in Omaha 85 miles away. At 3:20 the repair guy called and said they were trying to find my place. 5 freeking hours to find my place and they provide the phone service ? ? Found a wire shorting to ground at the house box. Glad I have the in house line service with them. 5 days no usable service is about 18% of the month so I might just deduct 18% from the bill when I send it in.

Bought this yesterday for $50. Got it running on carb cleaner. I have another mower with a bad engine I plan to rob the carb from and see what happens. If this has too many issues, I'll put this engine on the other mower.
DSCN5248.JPG DSCN5249.JPG DSCN5250.JPG

Going to check oput a Cub 782 this morning. Been parked for a few years so i weather rough. We agreed on a price if I decide to take it. Had good clothes on when I talked to the guy the other day so no close inspection. If motor turn over with compression will take it. Not sure if it is IH or MTD built but either way.

I got started at cutting the 16 cord of hardwood today. I spent about two hours at it this afternoon. Some pieces are a little to big for me to drag to the saw by my self, so will have to cut them in half with the chainsaw to get them to the saw or just cut up the whole log in the lengths I want.

Noel

Attachments

• FC37EC8E-1AE7-4345-B374-5CA3B03262A7.jpeg
    FC37EC8E-1AE7-4345-B374-5CA3B03262A7.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 470F5152-1F0D-409A-948C-6A6A850CB9BF.jpeg
    470F5152-1F0D-409A-948C-6A6A850CB9BF.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 7
Replacing a/c compressor in my daughters 2004 chevy cavalier. She text me last night the a/c stopped working and the battery light was on, the compressor locked up and broke the belt. She made it the 1 mile to my place without the engine stopping, I was planning on leaving with a jump pack to put on it to get it to my house. The compressor is on the bottom for access the tire and 2 inner fender liners have to come off, just glad it is all back together. I just need to replace the electrical connector for the a/c clutch the clutch would engage for awhile and then if the wire was bumped shut off. I will pick up a connector tonight and finish in the am.
While the car a/c was charging I went to go move a MF14 that would not stay running yesterday, stuck float, but when I went to start it the starter made a strange sound. I went over the right side to see what the issue was and when I hit the key the whole starter moved, the bracket that holds the starter in was in 5 pieces. This is a low mount starter on a K341 engine, I had another starter in the garage for parts and used the mounting bracket off the parts starter to replace the broken bracket. Reinstalled and the mower fired up and got moved to the back yard.

Back