What are you currently working on??

Got the carb swapped on the YS4500. Engine runs great. But has one bad spindle and the rear end is not working. Won't even free-wheel. So I pulled the engine and put it on the Poulan 300EX that was locked up. I'll finish getting the deck back on it today. It has new blades on it too.

Here's the Poulan. I just got done mowing with it. May need to level the deck some.

DSCN5251.JPG DSCN5252.JPG DSCN5253.JPG

DSCN5254.JPG

Still has the original price tag on it.

DSCN5255.JPG

The engine. Seat has a few cracks.

DSCN5256.JPG DSCN5257.JPG

Otherwise, a decent mower! Has a bit of smoke under load, but that was going away the more it ran.

Picked up a Toro snow thrower at an auction a few weeks ago. Had been stored inside for a couple years, exhaust was loose from the block and no gasket. Found gaskets on eBay so put it back together, new plug after shot of gas. Put some 40:1 fuel mix in. Primer bulb still worked, pulled the choke and it started on the third pull. Runs a little rough but gets better the longer it runs. Got $25 in it so far.

Waiting on the adjuster to call me on my roof damage. I think that I can fix for less than deductible but my wife jumped the gun on calling the insurance before I had the limbs cleared off of the house (and therefore could see the extent of the damage) so now we wait.

I'll be working on a Polaris RZR 170 today, installing new drive chain and tensioner. I worked out a deal with the owner for the labor as he does granite countertops. I have a small table on the front porch that had a cheap pressed wood top that was coming apart. This is what he fixed me up with:
DSCN5267.JPG DSCN5268.JPG

I'm happy!

Still waiting for state farm on the roof.
I have been getting tons of calls that my phone labels as either "telemarketer" or "spam" either way with a stop sign/exclamation point symbol along side the number, never calling from the same number twice. I've had calls from Wisconsin, Kentucky, W.VA, and more, and got a letter saying that they have tried and can't get ahold of me, wanting me to do THEIR job and send in pictures, estimates and such.
This morning they sent me a damn text.... Asking for the same thing.
When they have gotten ahold of me it's always been an 800 or 877 type toll free number so I don't think those spam calls are from them. Still asking around among friends who they'd suggest I call for a contractor since what few times I have had someone do something for me I have always come away feeling screwed.
As it was, I put this roof on myself because of that. Being a steel roof cuts down on who I can get to come out.

I have been missing a good tool or farm sale for longer than covid has been around, there just haven't been any for a few years in my area, been to 2 in a week. Went to the 1st expecting to bring home an air compressor that I got blown away on, took the trailer for nothing.
Today's had a Generac welder/generator from 1979 that looked brand new. 7000 watt, 16hp Briggs opposed twin, I've been wanting a bigger one than I currently have, I chickened out and lost on it and am still kicking myself. even though there werent any welding leads included.
I didn't take the trailer today though and should have. I got a sleeper couch (wife wanted it for her mother) that took the whole bed of my little Dakota, got a bunch of rakes, garden hoes, and a post hole digger (manual, 2 stick chopper type) for the kid as he's been needing to borrow them a bunch lately, plus a Jacobsen gas powered reel mower and a pair of Roof brand weed mowers (like the Jari sickle mower), had passed up a few other things earlier in the sale not knowing if end up with what I did towards the end, wish I had the trailer today,. Wound up having to make a 2nd trip to the auction site with the trailer an hour away.

Last edited:
Brought the JD 112 up today. Having issues with the electric lift. Goes up good, not down. Found out there are 2 solenoids, but they are under the battery tray. Once you get to them, no way to find the offending one. So I'll just order two new ones and install.

in the house to eat, 2nd time a fire has been lit in the new Weber kettle.... the 1st time we used the new one, , everything we made on it came out tasting weird.... meat, potatoes and even the sweet corn we made that time, made Hobo style.. no weird taste this time. the old Weber went to my son.... nothing wrong with the old one, except my wife saw this copper color one that she just "had to have".... this one has all the frills and bells and whistles... thermometer in the top, fancy scraper for the ash and stainless bowl for the ash....instead of an aluminum tray that half gets spilled before the spring clips that hold it in place, can be spun outta the way...... I usually just fling the old ash into the lawn, anyways..... spread it as far as I can when emptying.

spent the rest of the day going to Farm and Fleet for a new tongue jack for my trailer, and tried to get some (used to be) most basic of the basic briggs and Honduh parts (carb gaskets and air filters) but they don't carry much parts stock any more.... I aint paying "freight" on gaskets that cost less than $2 each.... and good luck finding someone at the "small engine" counter there anymore, even during "bankers hours" to begin with. so came home and ordered the Briggs parts I needed from Feebay with mostly free shipping. gonna check the Honduh stealer a block from work for what I need for the GX160 thats on my power washer...... (a ripoff from Uncle Willie and his trailer follies.... . dontbuyahondaanything)

also delivered the hide a bed couch we picked up at yesterdays auction to my mother in law, we had to take a couch out of the back family room, take it to the curb, then take the one that Donna (my wife) thought we were replacing, to the back family room, before we could bring the replacement into the front living room....
spent the rest of the day working on the "junk-haul" from yesterday's auction...... If I had known we would be gettin a couch that would eat up my whole truck bed and that we would have to make a return trip with the trailer anyways, Id have bought and brought home more than I did.... passed on an 8hp 3 stage snowblower that looked like barely used, for less than $10 (would have bought that for flip in a couple months) and stopped short on a bigger generator (and welder combo) than the one I currently have, I really wanted that, once I saw it. I think a neighbor of the seller got it, it got loaded in the bed of a Gator. now last week I took the trailer because I didn't think the compressor I wanted there, would fit in the back of a short bed Dakota (surely not in the back of the Durango either) and came home with the trailer as empty as it was when I had gotten there, surely didnt think I'd be needing the trailer for this sale. but I wish Id have taken it down there in the 1st place.

tongue jack was a casualty of gettin in a hurry to get back to auction and get my stuff.... .... didn't retract it far enough and bent the snot out of the old one. probably got bent on ledge of my own driveway on way outta here. and something I have reamed my kid for in the past, he did the same thing to 2 jacks-ago on that same trailer.... it mounts on the 3 bolt flange right behind the coupler, it don't pivot like some.

Last edited:
Put white wheels and tires back on the 782. Final wash got rid of a lot of the junk around the hydro and rear end. Will cool much better now. Removed the battery dated 3/12 for turn in. Hooked the booster to the cables, tried the switch - nothing. About what I expected with the safety switches. Went to the starter side of the relay and the engine turned over OK. Now to clean the fuel tank, replace lines and filter, replace or clean a couple switches and with a good battery it should run. Going to be hot this afternoon so may be a good time for a run to Orschelns F&H for batteries and couple other things I need.

Got to thinking about the 112's lift some more and made some jumpers to test things in the tractor. Found the issue.
DSCN5270.JPG

It the pic, the two solenoids are at the top. The LH one is for down. Found the small yellow wire that plugs into the front was loose fitting and corroded. Cleaned it up and all is well! This also has a 30A circuit breaker for each solenoid.

Last edited:
Discovered another leak in the MF8E transaxle. Cleaned it up to see where it's coming from and put some cardboard under it. left axle seal for sure but somewhere up front too. Axle seal is only two years old. I put a new used axle in it at that time too. Will give it a couple days to see if there are drips.

DAC

I got time to put a new axle seal in the MF8E today. It was a pain to remove the old one. I cobbled together a puller to use with a light duty slide hammer and it did work with a little trial and error.
DSCN2391.JPG

The axle bushing was tight so that was a relief! Didn't see any previous damage.
DSCN2387.JPGDSCN2388.JPG

I was wondering if I had a piece of tubing or something to use as a seal driver then it dawned on me to just use the hub. It worked fine. I put a washer on there that fit the axle right.
DSCN2392.JPGDSCN2393.JPG

Put the hub, wheel and weights back on and filled it with gear lube. I didn't get time to drive it around yet, daughter drove into town this afternoon, but I jacked it back up and spun the wheel a few times for now. Will drive it tomorrow.
DSCN2395.JPG

Hope it doesn't leak!

DAC

Last edited:
Spent the biggest part of the day on the PTO clutch on the CC782. The one that came on it had a bad a bearing that was seized. Had another assembly I thought had a bad coil, so took the pulley, which had a good smooth bearing and put it on. Now when I tighten the bolt that holds the pulley to the crank shaft and turn the pully, it turns the crank shaft to. Wire is unplugged. Don't make any difference how I try to adjust the air gap - there is none. It all fits tight together. Photos in the manual don't a help a bit as they have items identified wrong, etc. Have this assembly on and off and apart and back together 4 or 5 times and nothing has worked. First time dis-assemblying one of these critters so at a complete loss as to what to do. It looks to me like there needs to be a spacer between the bearing on that pulley unit and the piece behind it. When the bolt to lock the bearing to the crank shaft is tightened down, it appears as though the bearing is binding the pulley and not allow it to turn free. Would appreciate any direction to go from here as I don't have much hair left after today.

Spent the biggest part of the day on the PTO clutch on the CC782. The one that came on it had a bad a bearing that was seized. Had another assembly I thought had a bad coil, so took the pulley, which had a good smooth bearing and put it on. Now when I tighten the bolt that holds the pulley to the crank shaft and turn the pully, it turns the crank shaft to. Wire is unplugged. Don't make any difference how I try to adjust the air gap - there is none. It all fits tight together. Photos in the manual don't a help a bit as they have items identified wrong, etc. Have this assembly on and off and apart and back together 4 or 5 times and nothing has worked. First time dis-assemblying one of these critters so at a complete loss as to what to do. It looks to me like there needs to be a spacer between the bearing on that pulley unit and the piece behind it. When the bolt to lock the bearing to the crank shaft is tightened down, it appears as though the bearing is binding the pulley and not allow it to turn free. Would appreciate any direction to go from here as I don't have much hair left after today.
Thay usually have a spacer in between.

Back