What are you currently working on??

I got a little work done on the MF1450. Both GT batteries are in other tractors so I hooked a car battery to it put a piece of reflective film beind the front clutch and fired it up. Let it warm up some and then used the lazer tach. I had it idling at 1450 by ear and 1200 is the spec. Got that adjusted in ok, reset the idle mixture screw and checked the tach again. lowered the idle back down some more and got it pretty close.
DSCN3221.JPG DSCN3222.JPG

Didn't get a pic of the high speed but spec is 3600 and it is 3750 right now. The screw to reduce that high speed is frozen so I sprayed it with some penetrating oil. Have to take care of that later. Then I mounted the air filter housing I got from Kenny, I thought about painting it first then I looked at the rest of the tractor---LOL!
DSCN3223.JPG DSCN3224.JPG

There is this hole in this K321 blower housing. Anyone know why it is there?
DSCN3225.JPG

We were under severe thunderstorm warnings so the 1450 got turned sideways to have room for my wife to pull her new car into the shop soon as she got home and she got here when I got done sweeping the floor. I noticed this deck idler pulley on the MF610 mower deck was cocked sideways. Wife got here so brought her in just in time before it started storming. Still was able to take a closer look at the pulley. I'm going to have to pull the deck back off to repair it unfortunately but don't have room while her car is in here. This might throw a wrench into mowing Monday.
DSCN3226.JPG DSCN3227.JPG

That pin the pulley arm pivots on broke out of the hole!
DSCN3228.JPG

No room to pull the deck right now though
DSCN3229.JPG

I'll have to drag the deck out from under the tractor, flip it upside down and weld the pin back in. Will try to tack it some on the topside too.

DAC

Never seen a plug in those. But can’t hurt, I suppose. Need a timing light, and find the mark on the flywheel. Mark it with something white. Then the timing light will, when flashing, show the mark. Adjust the points to set timing. Or just set the points with a feeler gauge at 0.020. Spec is 0.018 to 0.022.

Noel

I think points may be next on engine tuning. Still a misfire now and then, so maybe new points will help. Think I'll stick with the feeler gauge. Still seems wierd it even has points. The Tec that I took out of the MF12G had electronic ignition and was 3 years older. I do think this engine is as tired as the rest of the tractor though so rings and a valve job might be needed too at some point. Smokes until it gets warmed up well.

Thanks for those specs, Noel.

DAC

And WHAT, Doug. !!!! No Mowing Monday episode ???? Hehe
Hopefully an easy fix for ya. What about a bolt up thru, then double nut it. Just a thought.

Noel

Just make sure you check the cylinder bore. Had two that were worn oval. I think that's pretty common on these. Had to have them bored out .020 over.

Actually did a 12 and a 14. Both were worn oval.

I think points may be next on engine tuning. Still a misfire now and then, so maybe new points will help. Think I'll stick with the feeler gauge. Still seems wierd it even has points. The Tec that I took out of the MF12G had electronic ignition and was 3 years older. I do think this engine is as tired as the rest of the tractor though so rings and a valve job might be needed too at some point. Smokes until it gets warmed up well.

Thanks for those specs, Noel.

DAC
My uncle and I have a couple that'll smoke on start up, still run strong once they get going. Feeler gauge is good enough for a worker, about the only time I know of people using the timing mark is tractor pullers.

And WHAT, Doug. !!!! No Mowing Monday episode ???? Hehe
Hopefully an easy fix for ya. What about a bolt up thru, then double nut it. Just a thought.

Noel
Still raining HARD, so it's going to be too wet tomorrow anyway. Think I'm gonna take a couple days off from the sh!tplant this week as I'm tired of the place so maybe I can fix it tomorrow and mow on Thursday or Friday. It won't be to bad of a chore to weld it back in I don't think.

DAC

Just make sure you check the cylinder bore. Had two that were worn oval. I think that's pretty common on these. Had to have them bored out .020 over.

Actually did a 12 and a 14. Both were worn oval.
The cylinder in the HH120 I pulled out of the MF12G was so bad oval it was scuffing the top ring land of the piston, riding cocked in the bore. New overbore pistons are made out of unobtainium so Honda clone to the rescue!

This K321, I have no real clue about yet, so it may just get to run as is.

DAC

HH120 piston & valves 019.jpg

My uncle and I have a couple that'll smoke on start up, still run strong once they get going. Feeler gauge is good enough for a worker, about the only time I know of people using the timing mark is tractor pullers.
That will probably be what happens here if it can run well enough to haul some weight and maybe pull my trailer around when I mow. Good to know it may be useable as is!

DAC

Those smokin engines help keep the mosquitos away. Hehe.

I’d run some transmission fluid in the oil and in the gas. That will clean it up and maybe loosen stuck parts.

Noel

The cylinder in the HH120 I pulled out of the MF12G was so bad oval it was scuffing the top ring land of the piston, riding cocked in the bore. New overbore pistons are made out of unobtainium so Honda clone to the rescue!

This K321, I have no real clue about yet, so it may just get to run as is.

DAC

View attachment 37361

Strange how they wear that way. These 2 kohlers were the only tractor engines I ever redid since people want a small fortune for short blocks.

I never experienced this on dirt bikes or atvs.

New chain on the trail minibike. Went out Sunday morning and put about 10 miles on it. Master link on the China chain let go. Took an unwanted 3 mile hike (1.5 each way) to get my bike out of the woods.

Had a high quality 420 chain and links at the house. Changed to it hoping it holds up better! If I could find sprockets to fit that were 520 I'd change it up..

Was going to get the Cub 1512 back going as a part came Saturday. Opened it Sunday and it is the wrong pulley. I ordered the fan belt tensioner pulley, gave then the CC number. Parts man gave me the Kubota number and sent the fan shaft pulley. I have not been able to find a Kubota part diagram for this particular engine application. d600 in 1512 Cub Cadet. They all show the CC part numbers and N/A.

After more research by the parts guy and me we found out that and whole front fan part of this tractor is a Cub Cadet add on except the fan itself. All the brackets, tensioner, etc. is all put on by CC after they get the engine. I finally found a pulley that is 2-5/8" diameter with a 3/8" bore and sealed ball bearing but for a V belt. An A belt will ride deeper and may have to go with a shorter belt but hope I can make this work. Have to remove the torque bracket for the front PTO to get the belt on.

Took a trolley tour of savannah today, in the 90*s range but great/not muggy. Waiting for steak at Perkins right now. Then back to the KOA, light a fire, sit there til it fizzles out. Light the Coleman lantern. Tomorrow more of the same, probably not the Perkins steak part of it.
Will probably use some of the charcoal and the mini Weber grill, and the Coleman stove tomorrow. Like we did yesterday.
Wednesday, we go pick up my trailer from about 16 miles closer to home, (only 984 to go from there, that's no exaggeration) and head back towards the GA/TN line for a couple of days around lookout mountain and ruby falls area. Then possibly a detour home thru Ohio for a celebration of life for a close friend of ours on Saturday that we really should go to, between Sandusky and Cleveland. Not completely sure that part of the trip is gonna happen.
Look at my screen name, I'm down here to "truck" a trailer heaping full of rust free 80s dodge truck sheet metal back to Illinois. I bought bedsides on eBay, cutoffs from an original truck (no Chinese patch panels!) But in the deal once I got there somehow the pile grew to those plus 2 core supports, 2 sets of doors, 2 sets of fenders, 1 set of front wheel wells, a diamond plate cross bed tool box, a pair of bumpers and if we can squeeze it in a hood too. I certainly wasn't expecting the haul to grow like that. And a spare trans for the slant 6 that's in my truck, and a heater box. And more.
I decided to do all that craziness because it's our 30th anniversary, and we needed a break from Illinois anyway. So turned it into a vacation.

Last edited:
And out of all that I need the bedsides, the driver side front wheel well, and maybe a pass door. The original driver side wheel well on my truck is in bad shape right under the battery. Gee, I wonder why.
my original pass side door isn't rotten, it's beat up, the old buzzard of a PO of the truck, could scrape the door jambs of a 12 bay wide garage door. He's the PO because he no longer can drive.
Even of all that, I do have a good straight solid replacement for that door at home already. The guy said "take it back North and sell it if you don't need it, I need it gone".
Problem is? He also has a rust free bed for my Dakota for less than scrap metal prices. That I do need but have no way to haul it right now.
The Durango has seemed to be the oldest thing on the road on the way here, but hasn't missed a beat. The old 360 was loafing on the way down.
It rolled over 280,000 on the way down. Putting those auxiliary water temp, trans temp and oil pressure gauges in has been interesting, but a slight distraction on the way down.
I was expecting to see lots of old cars and trucks on the road down here.but strangely I haven't seen many.

Last edited:
Back