What are you currently working on??

Went over to the landscapers shop and serviced 4 push mowers, a Gravely ZT, and this Grasshopper... the deck on these rigs have an electric actuator to lift it up for easy access to get the blades off and clean the underside.... thats pretty slick ;)

View attachment 52926

I used to service our 61" on the 721D GH at our church.....no electric lift. I had to manually lift the deck up, and 8' 2x4 was my friend.

:mad::mad::mad: *#@*%$*#

Looks like I will be working on this, just put new taillights on last fall. The honeysuckle had grown quite a bit in the last 2 weeks, my driveway is curved and I couldn't the rock that I know juts out, uugghh!!
You can see how they vines also hide the rock, but it's a blind spot backing in.
Someday I'm going to remove the rocks, move the drive over about a foot and build new retaining wall

. 20220528_144254.jpg
20220528_144605.jpg
20220528_144629.jpg

We discovered that the 5/4 deck boards and 2x6s we put up as a border along the front of the house as a glorified flower box, was rotted out. Even though I built it with treated lumber when I built it.
Only lasted about 8 years or so, I thought treated lumber was supposed to be good for 20 with ground contact, longer for that which isn't in contact with the ground.
The worst is the section of horizontal flat boards like a mini deck of sorts that we had our water hose reel box sitting on about 50" square, right next to the front porch. Rotted out from beneath, my wife stepped on it a couple weeks ago before I brought the hose reel out, and went thru/ and where the deck boards are it was absolutely soaked underneath. And not all that wet around that section. Luckily, it was only a 2x6 stood on edge so not that far to fall.
I decided to go with 2x8s this time instead of 2x6s.
2 trips to Menards so far to do this deal.
I forgot about how I had it framed under that 50"square deck section, and didn't account for that the 1st trip with the number of boards I bought that 1st trip.

I had my treated 2x8s in the cart, and went looking for the deck boards// and discovered they had different color treated boards than typical "green treated" they had these brown treated lumber they called "cedar tone" that we decided we like better so we put the green ones back and got that..... We came home (the 1st time) and tore the old stuff out, and I started cutting new wood using what was left of the old stuff as templates... when I remembered how I originally built it the 1st time and that I didn't have enough wood.
I spent $330 the 1st trip of which all but about $50ish was treated lumber. The 2nd time was another $130. All lumber. 5, 2x8x12', 8, 5/4x6x12', a couple of 2x3x8 and about 4, 2x2x8 to be cut into stakes.... So $280 and $130 means about $410.... Yikes.
The 1st time we never painted, stained, or even Thompson's water sealed anything. Just built it and filled with dirt.
This time I remembered I had a 2 gallon can of polyurethane varnish that's been in the garage for at least 1/2 dozen years that I got in a box lot at some auction. Figured I better use it up on something, didn't know if it was any good anymore or not. So as it was getting dark we put 2 coats on all the boards I had cut, I had to dig a couple of Coleman lanterns out of my stash and put them on shepherds hooks to finish getting 2 coats on one side and all the edges of everything.
Tomorrow morning the plan is to get up early, flip them all, and double coat the side that is now the "down" side, before we go out mowing/ and depending on how well it has dried by the time we get home, assemble it all. So far the dirt is holding firm, as long as we don't get a deluge to make mud of it all.... It won't take long to assemble once I get the air nailer out......

About a week ago I brought my cherry picker home from the kid's house, earlier today he came by and helped me get the hood off of my '85 D150 so I can swap out it's slant 6 for another one that's fresher and (hopefully) has "more power" (think "Tim Taylor"/ the TV series "Home Improvement") along with the torque converter while it's exposed, thanks to the PO not being very nice to the starter ring gear that's a part of the converter.....
I'm hoping to get that swapped out, sometime before I hit the sack Monday/so he can have the cherry picker back, he has a project in his garage too.... And (typically) was "just gonna pull his motor" when I came for "MY" cherry picker haha .... Sure he was...

That's ok because out there, it's in his way between uses, instead of my way.....

Went out to the camper Saturday evening and just got home about an hour ago.

didn’t work on anything other than sweeping the roof of the camper off. Eating too much food and just relaxing. Although there is always a work list that’s generated there. Grass will need cut next week, needs sprayed for ants that randomly showed up and cleaning up some stuff.

this was my view last night.

8E3A3AFF-7ECC-4B5A-9C51-23954245D142.jpeg

Last edited:
Today I did packing, laundry, and built some wind chimes for my sister, in preparation of a trip to the Denver, CO area tomorrow morning.

Then I crammed as much junk into the shop as possible! The MF1450 had been sitting outside. Battery was almost dead so it had to get boosted.

Don't know when I will be on the forum again but I will try to check in.

DAC

DSCN4381.JPG DSCN4382.JPG DSCN4383.JPG

Today I did packing, laundry, and built some wind chimes for my sister, in preparation of a trip to the Denver, CO area tomorrow morning.

Then I crammed as much junk into the shop as possible! The MF1450 had been sitting outside. Battery was almost dead so it had to get boosted.

Don't know when I will be on the forum again but I will try to check in.

DAC

View attachment 53572 View attachment 53573 View attachment 53574
Have a fun and safe trip!

Got nothing done yesterday. Every time I went to do something outside it started to sprinkle heavy. Had bit to do on a steel roof. Not when it is wet. Didn't get to the cemeteries last week as Carolyn was down with a bad cold so going tomorrow. Rain moving in Friday night through the weeks end. Had an outdoor wedding to go to Saturday 140 miles away. I can do enough dumb things right here at home, don't need to drive 2 1/2 hours to do onel.

I got me a 1200 sportster a while back, hopefully gives me some relief at the gas pump.
My son had inherited it from my brother in law when the B I L (whose name happened to have been Bill) died of cancer a few years ago. Bill was only 4 months Younger than me. Bill had the worst 51st birthday present one could have, a celebration of life in his honor.
My son has a 1-1/2 year old and another in his wife's oven, and car seats don't work on motorcycles. So now I have it.
I spent last night 6-10 and today 8-4 in a motorcycle safety class, have tomorrow to go. And then wait a week for the mail and take the letter I get to the DMV and turn it into my motorcycle license.
Don't have to take the DMVs tests for it because of this class.

I used to have a couple of bikes 15-20 years ago, and my license. I got a ticket for I don't remember what and 2 license renewal ago the idiots at DMV made me retake all the tests for my CDL and regular license plus I'd have had to retake the cycle test as well to retain it.
I need the CDL for my job so I was just worried about keeping that.
I didn't have a bike any more, so I let that one go. So now I have to go thru the hoops from scratch.
Taking this class just reminds me all I have forgotten about riding.....

This does leave me in a bind though.

I have a David Bradley Handiman I have had for sale for a bit, and im supposed to have a guy coming for it tomorrow, he's a couple of hours out and is waiting for me to tell him a time I will be home but can't cuz I don't know when that will be. Last time I took this a few years ago (like 3) we were outta there by 3 ish but I know that has no bearing in this go round.

Not working on anything other than relaxing today. I sat up the inflatable water park for the kids. Best 199 dollars (normally 499) I ever spent. Winter clearance at sams club 4 years ago.

takes about 15 minutes to carry it out of the basement. Roll it. And hook up the stuff. But it takes an hour to shop vac and leaf blow it dry and wrestle it into the bag.

kids love it though I usually set it up several times a year.

even the 13 year old is out and not staring at her phone.

771A0820-1E44-4AAC-B4D2-D17E3EF84539.jpeg2A4B548D-A297-4E25-9E6A-361FE39493E0.jpeg

Did some tree trimming yesterday, mostly dead limbs out of the soft Maple trees. Tools of the trade; chainsaw helmet, extension pole (1/2" conduit inside 3/4" conduit with tarp hooks at the top), Oregon 40V pole saw, Fiskars hand pole saw & supervisor "Missy":

1654458563664.png

First load: 1654458640292.png

Next cooler day I'll break out the Power King chipper!

Back