What are you currently working on??

I have been chasing Gremlins in the Elec-Trak E12s. It will work just perfect and then I've got nothing. I couldn't trace down any problems, but I would lose power to the motor intermittently. The safety switches for the seat and brake would check out OK. But when I got on and tried to take off.... nothing!!
Once in frustration I bounced up and down on the seat and it started working. So I'm thinking the seat switch is a sometimey thing. Also once when stepping on and off the brake pedal I got the same results!! So now both the seat and brake switches will be replaced.
When its running it runs good.
Stepping on the brake pedal gave you no results. So I took the brake caliper apart. The pucks that do the braking were worn down to the surface of the cup that they sit in. Don't know for now if I can get replacements. So for the mean time I glued a washer onto the back side of them and reinstalled them. That shimmed them out far enough to grab the disc and still be contained in their cups. I now have brakes.
Sorry I didn't get any pictures.

Attachments

• 20220617_165031.jpg
    20220617_165031.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 8
I have been chasing Gremlins in the Elec-Trak E12s. It will work just perfect and then I've got nothing. I couldn't trace down any problems, but I would lose power to the motor intermittently. The safety switches for the seat and brake would check out OK. But when I got on and tried to take off.... nothing!!
Once in frustration I bounced up and down on the seat and it started working. So I'm thinking the seat switch is a sometimey thing. Also once when stepping on and off the brake pedal I got the same results!! So now both the seat and brake switches will be replaced.
When its running it runs good.
Stepping on the brake pedal gave you no results. So I took the brake caliper apart. The pucks that do the braking were worn down to the surface of the cup that they sit in. Don't know for now if I can get replacements. So for the mean time I glued a washer onto the back side of them and reinstalled them. That shimmed them out far enough to grab the disc and still be contained in their cups. I now have brakes.
Sorry I didn't get any pictures.
Hope you get it figured out Rick! I bet those things turn on a dime with that short wheelbase!

DAC

After work, I took the shop vac out to the house A/C condenser and cleaned cottonwood out of it, then fired up the MF1450 and ran it out of the shop, then fired up that Murray LT and brought it in. Sure would think the deck belt should have been 5/8" looking at the pulleys but it is a half inch. Seems too long. Going to have to do some investigating on belts again. Might buy a carb too.

DAC

Had no luck finding a model number on that Murray. Did some searches but I still have no definite info on the belts for that LT, but did find a couple of possibilities at least. No info for that tractor on Tractor Data either.

The PTO belt for the MF12G came in today and put it on. Too dang tired from work to go mow though.

DAC

Got home late today, actually got some overtime for once.
About 15 minutes before quitting time, we got a call about a DNR "game warden" cop, stuck on the side of the road with a flat on a trailer and (of course) no spare. On a busy state highway. We have about every size trailer tire in stock, except that one. But I found a couple in that size "that would get him off the road" in the scrap tire pile. So I wound up going 25 miles away, I swapped the blown out back tire (tandem axle) with the front that didn't blow, and ratchet strapped the front axle to get it up a little bit so it wouldn't drag the U bolts into the pavement. There was a flat level parking lot about 3/8 mile from where he blew out.
I couldn't get a jack stand to sit level where he was at. I tried/ and when I went to set the jack down, the stand wanted to roll. So I got him limped into the parking lot, took the flat back to the shop, changed the tire, went back again, put that tire on the trailer, and followed the DNR cop back to my shop, so he could drop the trailer and I could order a new set.
100 miles of windshield time to put on a used tire to get that guy off the road. Good thing it wasn't my truck or gas.

Haven't accomplished much since I got back home Monday afternoon. Feeling lousy this morning early and BP was high again. Having trouble keeping it down to near normal. Popped an extra pill and will see what that does. Still have the tower in the dogs pen, weeds that should be sprayed, garden should be watered, etc. Carolyn is waiting for a date for knee replacement so she can't take up the slack. Time to get serious about cutting the work down around here. Cut an hour off the mowing already.

Yamaha G2 golf cart engine rebuild.. Head / valves done.. Both valves were out of round.. Must be why the compression was so low? Block torn apart and honing out the cylinder to get rid of all the little grooves and scores. Got rebuild kit and gotta wait til momma's out of the house so I can take it into the kitchen sink and wash all the grit out before reassembling.. I'll snap a few pix for show and tell.. It oughtta run like a champ when I'm done..

Got a JD X304 in to fix. JD wanted big bucks to get it going (been sitting for some time). Within 45 minutes had it running. They said the mower spindles were bad. Turns out the belt was rusted to the pulleys. May have this back to the owner for less than $150. In JD's quote was a new carb, new spindles and not sure what else. Carb issue was a solenoid not working right, And JD wants $170 for that solenoid that I found on Ebay for $40. Think they need mechanics that are payed by the hour and not by % of the bill.

Got a JD X304 in to fix. JD wanted big bucks to get it going (been sitting for some time). Within 45 minutes had it running. They said the mower spindles were bad. Turns out the belt was rusted to the pulleys. May have this back to the owner for less than $150. In JD's quote was a new carb, new spindles and not sure what else. Carb issue was a solenoid not working right, And JD wants $170 for that solenoid that I found on Ebay for $40. Think they need mechanics that are payed by the hour and not by % of the bill.
The two dealerships I work(ed) at pay the tech's by the hour, not by the % of the bill, not sure about your area. When I make out a estimate, I start with what I think the machine needs to run and perform it's job. That is the base estimate, I then figure in any cosmetic and or additional minor repairs. Some places want the tech's to get the assemblies instead of the individual replacement parts.

We are under severe weather watches with potential large hail. I got home from work and went to put a 1/2" bolt in that cutting deck mount on the 12hp Murray lawn tractor. Lifted it with the chain hoist and I must not have had the hook in place well enough and the tractor fell on my left wrist. It bled for awhile, but got it stopped and bandaged. I was trying to run it outside to bring my wife's car in because of a possibility of hail. I got the dang bolt in. The cutting deck was rubbing the LR tire without it. Fired the tractor up, and drove it up and down the driveway trying the gears. Shifting is pretty stiff trying to go to 4th and 5th but it worked. Engine runs fine. I went ahead and went in the grass. With the deck in the proper position, it mows! Parked it outside and brought in the Equinox. Wife took the '06 Denali to a 9-ball pool tournament her team is shooting in.

DAC

Heard from the owner of the X304 (friend brought it over for her). JD said it needed a new carb, deck spindles, filters, and lube the brake pivot. Wasn't the carb, solenoid was stuck. Can see where they would go for the assy. there. Spindles were rusted to the drive belt, broke loose when I turned the PTO on. Got oil & filters (& solenoid) on the way. I'll check out the brake pivot today, didn't seem to bad to me but I don't know the machine.
Just looked up a new carb. Amazon wants $305 for one. Kawasaki engines are expensive to fix.

I cut up 3 55 gallon drums today to make burn barrels. 1 for me. 1 for my parents and 1 for someone else that wants it.

we had 24 drums of hyvolt 2 oil into work so I grabbed 6 drums. 3 of them are going to be used for a dry well to drain some water into it. Now I just need to score several tons of gravel and dig a hole.

Back