What are you currently working on??

Yeah Doug those step through frames are nice. I might have missed it but I don’t remember seeing pics of the Bolens. I’m really enjoying these smaller tractors myself. Yesterday I mowed about a half hour to see how Hoopdy did. I mowed right between our three rail wood fence and Carols clotheslines. They are other places too I can mow with this that cuts down on my weed eating time. I wished I knew more about these LT’s like the transaxles and what engines to stay away from. You know they got some really bright led lights that replace the socket type bulbs for these. Hopefully you can get your tire mounted tomorrow at work.

If I ever get rich I'm going to get a 4 post lift with a jack kit and wheel kit. My brother in law has 7 of them---not a misprint. He sold me on them but my budget is nowhere near his. Main reason is I have to damm hard of a time getting off the ground after positioning the pads and have to go through that 4 times, maybe more!

The Murray is ready to try mowing with this weekend and the Bolens/MTD just needs the battery put in it and the seat installed. May do the mowing with LT's this weekend rather than the MF12G.

DAC
I've worked off of both 2 post and 4 post lifts, both have their place. but for most work I do, the runners of a 4 post, do nothing but get in the way.
The only time a 4 post was an advantage, was when I was doing alignments.
short of that I'd rather have a 2 post (and I do!) Right now I have other stuff in the garage, and would take me a bit to "un bury" it....

Rotates the tires on the daughter's Liberty a couple weeks ago, notice back brakes were toast. Got them put on this morning before the inlaws cookout in a bit. Glad my back has let up a little, it went out/locked up on me last Friday, the last week has been torture standing all day at work lifting heavy parts.
Anyway, took about 45 mins to get brakes done, I've been using the power stop brand from Rockauto.

Still a little life in the passenger side
20220702_113413.jpg

Drivers side had one pad rust on the mount so I think they wore a little faster, had to replace the rotor on that side, the pass side rotor got a flap wheel resurfacing :thumbs:
20220702_104644.jpg

All done

20220702_104554.jpg

Tying up a few loose ends on this Dixon I have here, and my cub 129. The Dixon is going away, as soon as I get it back together. The 129 stays.
I was in the local junkyard 2 days ago looking for parts I'm gonna need to retrofit "factory AC" into my 85 D150 that came from the factory as a non AC truck. And I saw a cub HDS "something or other" in the back of an F250 junkyard refugee /and quickly looked at, it as I walked by with an armload of ac compressor brackets, dash vent louvers, etc/and thought that I saw some kind of horizontal v twin in this machine.thinking possibly a vanguard?
I went back to get the engine today, and after I peeled the Coleman stove off of the machine, a couple of rusty decks, a wrought iron base from an ancient sewing machine and a wanna be peloton stationary bike, and finally got down to the LT, I discovered it's a single cylinder onan 14hp?. Seemed to have compression, wasn't blown up or seized, but looked like lots of blow by, with the oil soaked rag wrapped around the dipstick tube and all.... It wasn't what I thought it was, so I didn't get it.

Yeah Doug those step through frames are nice. I might have missed it but I don’t remember seeing pics of the Bolens. I’m really enjoying these smaller tractors myself. Yesterday I mowed about a half hour to see how Hoopdy did. I mowed right between our three rail wood fence and Carols clotheslines. They are other places too I can mow with this that cuts down on my weed eating time. I wished I knew more about these LT’s like the transaxles and what engines to stay away from. You know they got some really bright led lights that replace the socket type bulbs for these. Hopefully you can get your tire mounted tomorrow at work.
Hi, Jim, That Bolens/MTD is one of those cheapie made by the millions from Wal-Mart and those kind of stores. I think there was a thread about it when I brought it back from the dead but can't remember. It had been sitting in a field for several years with a blown head gasket.
DSCN2471.JPG DSCN3161.JPG

If I remember right, Hoopdy is a 48" cut? Quite a bit bigger than anything I have, including the MF12G. Glad it fits into areas that you couldn't get into before! The headlight wiring had been chopped out of this thing before I got it. The Murray and MF8E are my only tractors with working headlights, but I have no desires to be on tractors after dark anyway---LOL! This thing has a sharper turning radius than any of my other tractors too.

The tire machine at work did clamp to that 9" rim just fine. I was able to push the inside bead over the rim but had to spoon the outer bead over. Only one spoon at work had me wishing I had brought mine too! Still helped a lot with the wheel clamped down.
DSCN4431.JPG

I've worked off of both 2 post and 4 post lifts, both have their place. but for most work I do, the runners of a 4 post, do nothing but get in the way.
The only time a 4 post was an advantage, was when I was doing alignments.
short of that I'd rather have a 2 post (and I do!) Right now I have other stuff in the garage, and would take me a bit to "un bury" it....
I have worked with both also, Dodge, and can understand your concerns about the runners being in the way. That's what I will have to put up with though as if a miracle ever happened and I was able to get one. I don't need to be calling "Life Alert" to get me up off the floor after adjusting the arms and pads on a two post. "I've laid down and I can't get up!"---LOL!

We had some stuff to do this morning but this afternoon I had enough of my shop getting darker and darker! Spent a few hours changing out florescent tubes. Ended up with 15 bad ones. The lights are fairly high with the 14' ceiling so it takes ladder work. The highest ones I set the 8' stepladder on a work table, and the others I could reach with that ladder from the floor.
DSCN4430.JPG DSCN4432.JPG DSCN4434.JPG

That's all I got done today worth reporting here.

DAC

Hi, Jim, That Bolens/MTD is one of those cheapie made by the millions from Wal-Mart and those kind of stores. I think there was a thread about it when I brought it back from the dead but can't remember. It had been sitting in a field for several years with a blown head gasket.
View attachment 55289 View attachment 55290

If I remember right, Hoopdy is a 48" cut? Quite a bit bigger than anything I have, including the MF12G. Glad it fits into areas that you couldn't get into before! The headlight wiring had been chopped out of this thing before I got it. The Murray and MF8E are my only tractors with working headlights, but I have no desires to be on tractors after dark anyway---LOL! This thing has a sharper turning radius than any of my other tractors too.

The tire machine at work did clamp to that 9" rim just fine. I was able to push the inside bead over the rim but had to spoon the outer bead over. Only one spoon at work had me wishing I had brought mine too! Still helped a lot with the wheel clamped down.
View attachment 55291

I have worked with both also, Dodge, and can understand your concerns about the runners being in the way. That's what I will have to put up with though as if a miracle ever happened and I was able to get one. I don't need to be calling "Life Alert" to get me up off the floor after adjusting the arms and pads on a two post. "I've laid down and I can't get up!"---LOL!

We had some stuff to do this morning but this afternoon I had enough of my shop getting darker and darker! Spent a few hours changing out florescent tubes. Ended up with 15 bad ones. The lights are fairly high with the 14' ceiling so it takes ladder work. The highest ones I set the 8' stepladder on a work table, and the others I could reach with that ladder from the floor.
View attachment 55292 View attachment 55293 View attachment 55294

That's all I got done today worth reporting here.

DAC
Same here Doug about not having any desire to cut grass at night but for some reason that’s important to me to have working lights. Hoopdy only has rear reflectors but even that I wished was lights. :rolleyes:

Last time I took my JCPenney beast of a tiller out to my sons house it wouldn’t start. The 8hp Briggs has always been dependable. It’s been sitting for two months here in the shop waiting on me. I wanted to pressure wash it but we are in water conserve mode right now. The jet was clogged and the bowl had a white milky texture like stuff coating everything. I cleaned everything up then started to drain the tank but nothing coming out. I took the glass sediment bowl off and the real thin brass screen was so clogged you couldn’t see any daylight through it. I cleaned all of that up but I’m not sure if I want to put that back on. I may eliminate the glass bowl and just come off of the tank with a 90 and add a typical filter. It might be a few days before I get it back together we got some errands to get done today.
ABD74E56-98D7-4589-8E92-8E75F9F1B2DD.jpegB7E59CBD-DF9F-4B5A-8ADE-009904B0B335.jpegDFEFBB3E-3FBE-4772-A7DC-30634A78E237.jpeg35E36939-BC0F-4156-8C37-3838416497EA.jpeg9F50704C-2CE5-4A0E-8810-3EE194970E2C.jpeg7CD8C374-D6F3-4DF1-B966-11E816A19289.jpeg

I just tinkered with piddly stuff today. Wasn't feeling up to par. My wife went to work sick this morning so I hope I'm not catching her cold.

I like that de-thatcher, Lowell! Think I'm going to check into similar ones to hook to the 3 point on the MF1450. More for rake use for now. I get so many twigs and small branches in the yard and this idea would help clean that up!

I wanted to pressure wash today too JIm, but we have plenty of water. Just feeling under the weather today. Was gong to pressure wash years of grime off of those LT's I've been working on but just didn't get to it. Good job cleaning up that carb. I would eliminate the sediment bulb too and go with a simple in line filter, like you are thinking.

DAC

I get so many twigs and small branches in the yard and this idea would help clean that up!
DAC

We have several Hybred willows which drop a bunch of limbs all winter and spring. Best I have found to rake them up is a landscape or rock rake. Have to get it clean in the area I want to use the Estate rake for mulch. Little twigs stop the wheels from turning. I tried the de-thatcher and didn't work very good.

We have several Hybred willows which drop a bunch of limbs all winter and spring. Best I have found to rake them up is a landscape or rock rake. Have to get it clean in the area I want to use the Estate rake for mulch. Little twigs stop the wheels from turning. I tried the de-thatcher and didn't work very good.
Thanks Roger I'll check into those too.

Didn't get a lot done today. house chores this morning, went into town and got dinner for us, then got out to the shop and tested the non working temp gauge in the '55 GMC. Went ahead on ordered a new one. I will have to re-face the new one to look original. I did that with a couple of the gauges in it already.

DAC

I will be working on these soon. Friends we used to go to church with posted free on FB so I ran right over. They moved several years ago and the tractor has been in the back of garage since them. The air compressor was from when the husband did construction 15 yrs or so, she said it has an air leak. Tractor ran when they moved, but it appears to have some axle/steering issues. I'll get it running then work on that.

20220707_185529.jpg
20220707_185455.jpg
20220707_185547.jpg
20220707_185507.jpg
20220707_185608.jpg
20220707_185636.jpg

Nice haul Marty I like that front bumper on the tractor. The crack in the front axle looks an easy fix. Back when I had a trim crew I had a double tank wheel barrel type compressor and loved it. It could keep up with four carpenters all day long.

Back