What are you currently working on??

Doug, that’s a cool old truck.
Nice of your daughter to ride with you!
Thanks, Rick, you made Loree's day when I showed her what you wrote! She's been bummed out lately. She turns 65 in about a month. I know how she feels but a person gets over it.

Do you know something the rest of us don't? Don't be holding back please!
What I do know, Chris, is western SD gets big winter storms in March and April! I'm not confident that spring is here to stay at all. I couldn't say for out east!

That’s not his daughter it’s his girlfriend I think he calls her Loreelou :)
Yeah Jim, she has to go by that name on FB since her account was hacked a while back. Everyone on her side of the family does call her Loreelou, first and middle name. She has been my girlfriend since late in 1975---LOL!

DAC

I got a couple of winter time projects done yesterday. I needed to cut some wood but I couldn’t keep my chainsaw running. It starts up fine like always but quit after a few seconds. The air cleaner was totally covered with really fine sawdust. I replaced the filter two years ago but never used it at all last year. I remember getting a felt filter by mistake instead of the type with a washable screen. Once I replaced the filter it starts and runs good.
View attachment 79298

The primer bulb on my leaf blower stopped pumping at the end of the year so I replaced that but still no gas. I checked the diaphragm but it was good. I took the air cleaner off to check the hoses and the pickup hose was cracked so I was just pumping air. I replaced the hose and filter while I was in there and it pumps and runs fine. I was on a job about 15 years ago and the homeowner was cleaning out her garage. She had this leaf blower and a McCullough sitting in the garbage pile. I took them both home, cleaned both, replaced the filters, and added fresh gas and they both started up and with a few adjustments they ran good. I gave my FIL the McCullough and this Homelite has served me well ever since.
View attachment 79299View attachment 79300
Allright! Another dumpster diver---LOL! Those are some great tools that came out of the garbage, Jim! You reminded me I better get the chainsaw out and serviced to do some tree pruning this year. I have a cordless electric pole saw but the gas chain saw is still the only way to go once branches are on the ground.

DAC

Working on getting all the parts for a trans overhaul on the 314k mile Durango. Id bought another one a few months ago same body style and all but a more bare bones model and she doesn't like the seats. If we have to be in it more than about an hour she complains about them hurting to sit in.... She wants "hers"back. . which she has had for over 10 yrs.
I've done a few of them over the years but I've never needed this much to rebuild any one transmission. I am adding some upgrades while I'm inside this one though.... Even with it's age and miles it is my best camper puller ...
Also getting a few random little things to finish an overhaul on a Kohler k301.
Another situation where I've been inside of quite a few of them and somehow putting more into this one than most.... Machine shop bill was definitely the highest I've ever seen on one. And with no more actual machine work than the last 2 or 3 Kohler's I have rebuilt
Once the motor is done I still need a new clutch or to rebuild the original, this is on a cub 129.

My 882 started making a loud squealing noise from the front of the engine the last time it used it. I took the fan belt off and it stopped, so it had to be the fan or idler pulley. I changed the idler pulley first a few days ago, but that wasn’t it. The bearing in that felt rough, so it needed to be changed anyways. Today I changed the fan bearings. It is nice and quiet now.
EFD4D5C1-9E5E-4509-94F1-B6F17631CED1.jpeg57FC3858-DB51-456C-B882-8ABBC8D8412D.jpeg71E16713-AD82-42BD-925B-30121619FCB9.jpeg378C8923-17BE-4FE3-9A25-5C4D3D8C820C.jpeg

Currently working on my jd 210 restoration I'll post it all up tomorrow with pictures an the story
If you have a restore project post it over in the Garden Tractors thread under the title of maybe John Deere 210 Restore or something like that. This will get a lot more attention and also show up in the browser of others searching for info on their JD.

Sitting here at lunchtime trying to get my knee to unlock... Been stiff legging it all morning. Finally got it to bend.... From damage I did to it back in 1990, problems with it are hit and miss, been pretty good for a while now til about a week ago. The last week it's been going stiff about every other day.
I busted my kneecap at 22, they attached all the tendons ligaments whatever else there is in there etc the biggest piece that was left, I have about 1/3 of a kneecap on the right side ever since.
The x ray looked like the old "upside down 'Y' in a circle about like the peace symbol that was popular some years ago. Then there's the rod in that shin bone from that knee to the ankle from the wreck I had with a chain saw kick back in 07, when I was 40. And I'm back turning wrenches again like I was doing when I screwed up the knee. The left one gets sore sometimes, I think I over compensated with that one because of what I did to the right one

Sitting here at lunchtime trying to get my knee to unlock... Been stiff legging it all morning. Finally got it to bend.... From damage I did to it back in 1990, problems with it are hit and miss, been pretty good for a while now til about a week ago. The last week it's been going stiff about every other day.
I busted my kneecap at 22, they attached all the tendons ligaments whatever else there is in there etc the biggest piece that was left, I have about 1/3 of a kneecap on the right side ever since.
The x ray looked like the old "upside down 'Y' in a circle about like the peace symbol that was popular some years ago. Then there's the rod in that shin bone from that knee to the ankle from the wreck I had with a chain saw kick back in 07, when I was 40. And I'm back turning wrenches again like I was doing when I screwed up the knee. The left one gets sore sometimes, I think I over compensated with that one because of what I did to the right one
Feb 4, 1964, I was a 14 y/o wannabe wrench head "helping my dad change the front brake shoes on his '54 Merc.. Supported by nothing but a bottle jack, no wheel chocks, dad wasn't much up on safety details and what did I Know? Anyywho, the car rolled backwards as I was trying to peer over his shoulder and came off the bottle jack. Fortunately my right foot was there to keep the brake backing plate from hitting the concrete. My foot immediately took on the appearance of raw salisbury steak. From then on every step was sheer agony.

Then on Sept 6, 1966 (yes just count the 6's) at age 16 my Harley 883 Sportster T-boned a '65 Impala making a left hand turn. My lucky day as it was directly across from what was then Salinas Memorial Hospital emergency ambulance driveway. Being an avid flat-track amatuer racer (had a KR750 too) I instinctively slid the rear tire to the right and tried to lay it down on the left side. Upon impact my badly mangled right foot was severed 9 inches below my right knee.

The good news is that I never again had pain in my right foot.

Mebe you should take up motorcycle riding; look what it did for me!!

Mebe you should take up motorcycle riding; look what it did for me!!
I do have a sportster, inherited from my brother in law who died of cancer a few years ago.
I'm 5 months older than him
'98 1200. Really came in handy a couple of years ago when bidenomics put gas over $5 a gallon.
Especially since I have a 70 mile round trip commute. I've been wanting to get it out the last few days but it's been too cold on the mornings. (38-42ish)

I do have a sportster, inherited from my brother in law who died of cancer a few years ago.
I'm 5 months older than him
'98 1200. Really came in handy a couple of years ago when bidenomics put gas over $5 a gallon.
Especially since I have a 70 mile round trip commute. I've been wanting to get it out the last few days but it's been too cold on the mornings. (38-42ish)
I remember when you started riding it to work to save gas. Glad it worked out well for you.

Yes I wear a pros.
After 6 months of rehab a buddy drove me to Warrens Harley Davidson in the same town, Salinas, CA and I rode home on a brand new XLCH...right side kick start, magneto and right side shift lever raised about 4 inches so I could sneak the pros foot under and shift by lifting at the knee. Since that day I have never, ever, not for a single day been without at least one bike in the garage. I currently havea 1999 Sportster 1200 R, a 2020 Yam V-Max, a 1974 850 Norton Commando, a 2004 1600 Mean Streak, and a 1983 FXR stuffed with a 2020 131 X-Wedge. None of them are "stock" and unless it is raining or the wind is above 20 mph I ride every day. Total bike miles last year was a tad over 55K and my 2018 F-150 logged 525 miles for the same period. My motto is "One butt, many bikes, and looking for the perfect ride." I don't know the day I will die, but I know how.

There's a guy I work with, has a 3-4 year old Kawasaki 650 single cylinder Enduro and lives 1/2 as far from work as me. I've seen him ride to work when it's been in the high 30s ... Not me.
I've rode to work when it's been in the mid 50s in the morning and froze. And other days it's been 75-80 when I've gotten off and I wished I had ridden the bike to work that day.

Been there and done that. Drove in the morning and wished I was on the bike in the evening. On the other hand I rode in the afternoon and came out after work and there was frost on the seat. That's when you realize you forgot your gloves. :(

Back