What are you currently working on??

Trying to put a lower ball joint in my sister's GMC Sonoma last night, fighting my tooth and nail. No air tools and I'm doing it in the grass....that's the only place the wrecker could drop it. Couldn't move it cause lower ball joint was basically MIA, not sure how she drove on it that long before it finally came apart.
I will also be rebuilding the Motorcrap carb on my son's F350 this week, he pulled it off last Friday with out asking when I would have time, now it's sitting in out carport dead and in the way.

have had basically a whole front end in a box for my '92 Dakota for a couple of months now, after 224K miles it's time. I know the upper control arm bushings on the pass side and the inner tie rod end on the driver's side have needed changed for a while, couldn't get to my own 2 post lift because my son had it tied up. I'm replacing everything up there except the shocks as they aren't that old. and the coil springs. Theyre still fine. Everything else though, and all Moog.

Bought everything piece x piece via Ebay, Rock Auto, where ever I could find a deal... it's crazy how Seller A will sell part #1 for whatever amount with free shipping and Seller B wants 2X THE PRICE (OR MORE!) for the exact same part, brand and all.... plus shipping.....
I did the front end on the '96 last summer. Upper control arm bushings on the other side went out on it....

when I was an alignment guy, I did many ball joints out in the parking lot of the shops that I worked at, because the parking lot/ driveway on the side of the shop where my lift and tools were was so narrow the tow trucks couldn't get those cars backed into the shop doors. Met the tow truck in the lot with a pair of jack stands, and had them set the broken car right onto the stands...… but I'm older now, MY truck and MY lift.... so I aint doing a front end overhaul in the driveway any more. Did almost every car my Dad had that way, back when I lived at home.... thanks to my son lately, I've had to do a few "side jobs" outside in the driveway.....

Doug. Ya my son got a cast iron original 390 intake for it. Works much better than the aluminum high rise that he had on it.
He also took the Holley off and put on a carter carburetor. This is what came on those engines when new. The carter works good.

That jimmy would be a rare vehicle in my parts. 350 in it ?

Noel

Glad you got the Rambler running the way you want it, Noel! That's a sweet little car and I would think it's uncommon if not rare too!

I'm not sure about numbers production but the '70 Jimmy is the lowest in production of the first gen Jimmy's and Blazers. GMC's are about 1/3 the numbers of Chevy's across the board. The guy that has the 69-72 Blazer/Jimmy group on Facebook says they are rare pretty much anywhere. Yeah it's a 350. The original engine is in storage, but I had another low mile 350 that I've got ready for it. The correct stickers are on the engine now too since I took this picture.

DAC

9-20-16 003.jpg

Ohhhh, that’s nice. Lots of power there Doug.
Ya the rambler is a fun car. Was at a car show last year with it and a fella I know, who allways had older cars, came up to me and wanted to know what kind of mufflers were on the rambler. He just loved the sound of it and wanted to get the same mufflers. He was building a dodge up. Can’t realy say the mufflers would sound the same on a different make of engine, but it was neat that he asked.

Noel

Put new lifters in the Kohler Command motor I have, a lot of valve noise. Started it up and still noisey. Looks like it will get little heavier oil to see if it quiets it, not sure what PO had put in it.
Oh, just as an FYI, Chevy small block lifters fit in a Kohler command, $3.89 for Sealed Power lifter at Advance Auto versus a min of $10 plus shipping for one "Kohler" lifter

Oil pan arrived. This is NOT how you see if bolt holes line up.... I assumed block would be drilled evenly on each side? I was shocked that only 4 lined up, so a few coffees later I took another peak. You set the pans side by side for comparison:thumbs: Whew!!

Attachments

• IMG_3892.JPG
    IMG_3892.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3895.JPG
    IMG_3895.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 18
Ohhhh, that’s nice. Lots of power there Doug.
Ya the rambler is a fun car. Was at a car show last year with it and a fella I know, who allways had older cars, came up to me and wanted to know what kind of mufflers were on the rambler. He just loved the sound of it and wanted to get the same mufflers. He was building a dodge up. Can’t realy say the mufflers would sound the same on a different make of engine, but it was neat that he asked.

Noel
Yeah that's cool about the gent liking the sound! It seemed like back in those days engines did have different tones so the Mopar may not sound the same with the same mufflers. A lot of folks claimed the Buick nailhead engines had the best sound of all time. I just like the sound of engines and never really could tell one make from another very well. You should give us some pics of the Rambler sometime.

Oh I'm sure most car guys would think it's nowhere near enough power, but plenty good for me!

DAC

Attachments

• DSCN1543.JPG
    DSCN1543.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN1545.JPG
    DSCN1545.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 6
Ya that’s good power Doug and be about 300 Ft lb of torque. And still get reasonable gas mileage.
I’ll get some pictures of the rambler when and if the weather gets better.
Boy it’s been raining and cold here for the last while.
I was planting potatoes this time last year. Won’t be for another week or two yet before I can get in the gardens.

Noel

never heard of a Chevy "Invader" engine. seen "Turbo Jet"/ "turbo fire" logo lots of times.
and never understood why they had to have both Chevy AND GMC, when they are exactly the same product..... why not make them all 1 or the other.... When I see a GM truck I always think "Chevy",
I can tell a Chevy from a Ford from a mile away.... don't really think "GMC" even once I am close enough to see the logos and/or the grill....
this coming from someone that would rather drive a ~40-45 year old car/ truck and listen to 40-45 yo music "any day of the week" vs anything new.
and of course old tractors too....

I can tell a Chevy from a Ford from a mile away.... don't really think "GMC" even once I am close enough to see the logos and/or the grill....
this coming from someone that would rather drive a ~40-45 year old car/ truck and listen to 40-45 yo music "any day of the week" vs anything new.
and of course old tractors too....

At one time from the mid sixties and older the Chevy and GMC trucks were very different, not just in looks but mechanically. 1972 was about the last year GMC at least looked a bit different.

I definitely agree with you on that old truck, music and tractor statement!

DAC

Not doing much of anything this week. Been on call at work since Tuesday. I took the carb back off the '55 again after work last night as the fast idle linkage was sticking and not kicking down. I couldn't see it well enough on the truck. Found a snap-ring that had popped out of it's slot on the choke butterfly shaft. Pushed it back into place and it all works smooth again. It was too late to put it back on the truck. Tonight I'm too dang tired to work on it so when I get done typing here it's shower, eat and hit the sack! Crappy day at work. Hope the work phone doesn't ring.

DAC

Ya. Being on call is not good. Did that for years. Didn’t know when, where, what, why or who.

What type of carb ?

Noel

Phone didn't ring last night thankfully, but today was a different story! Still didn't get the carb put on. Going to go in the house and watch a baseball game with my wife.

Carb is just a puny little Rochester M one barrel. Could darn near use it on a Briggs---LOL! That snap ring is visible in this picture, behind the choke shaft end plate.

DAC

DSCN1546.JPG

Tore apart an old swing set yesterday. Got a used one for the granddaughter several years ago. Big outfit with Couple swings, slide, some kind or 2 seat merry go round, etc. Wasn't being used and started to go to pieces. Several bolts had been replaced with phillip head bolts :mad: and hard to hold even with a vise grip. Got it apart enough to haul home, now to get the slide, etc apart and the metal separated from the plastic.

2 hour job but got it all separated except for on piece. A round plastic disc about 14" diameter and 3" thick. Want to save it but it will only move on the tube about 2". Guess I will have to move it as far as it will go one way and cut the tube off and then drive if off the cut end.

Still on call. Was at work for a while this morning but the phone hasn't been ringing since. Turned the NASCAR race on the shop TVs and got the '55 running well again. Went in the house for lunch and watched the rest of the race with my wife then came back out to the shop. Cleaned up a bit and still have NHRA on TV now.

DAC

DSCN1547.JPG

Back