What are you currently working on??

Quickly became a trash pit. I made our fire pit out of an old large truck rim. On sloping ground, have landscape block around the outside with about a 6" air gap between. Never have to clean it and every time it rains the ashes get washed out and away.

Debating if I want to line the bottom with the large pavers.

I wouldn't, the heat from the fire will just crumble anything made from a concrete base. We have blocks around ours, we've had to replace some of them cause fire got so hot and they fell apart.

I finished getting the cub running on Friday evening. I got off work very early so I mowed at church for over 2 hours, got a nice sunburn.
Worked at the rental house pulling weeds and mulching Saturday. Monday, went with a buddy to another guy we know, he was cleaning out his garage. We split it up, but got a Sears Suburban 18/6 rolling frame with brand nw ATV mud tire all around, 2 hoods/grills, 2 -18 Hp Onans, a vertical shaft 20 HP Briggs opposed twin, Kohler 14 HP vertical, several other small motors, tons of suburban parts, Sears 3 pt hitch , etc all for $300. I have to go back this week and pick up all his scrap metal and fab parts he doesn't want.

Many years ago when I worked in the State Park system we made fire rings out of reinforced concrete poured in a split truck tire. In the camp ground they would last about 2 years and be noting but the reinforcing rod left. Finally went to heavy truck rims mounted on a 4" steel tube and set in concrete about 4" above the ground. Worked great for many years as the concrete was below the main heat of the fire. We did end up putting some gravel around the ring to get away from the mud.

Got a new grass deflector made for the MF12G. The old one was several years old and beat up pretty bad. Hopefully will get 'er warmed up tomorrow after work and change oil.

DAC

Doing some little things around the shop this morning. Waiting for the grass to dry to finish mowing. Repaired some bullet holes in a large mail box I salvaged from the old home place a few years ago. Was there and in sue in 45 when we moved there. Cleaned up and oiled a Dirt Devil Vacuum. Still trying to get the after market carb adjusted on the Polaris Ranger. Real PITA as it works good a few days then get real hard to start, cold or warm. About to have the original carb rebuilt. I put a kit in it but could not get it to start after that, just like it was before. Got a plugged hole or port some place I haven't got cleaned out yet.

I was going to change the oil in the MF12G tonight, but we have thunderstorms and hail. I brought my wife's truck in the shop in case of hail. No room to work on it now.I also need to have the shop door open for a while to warm up the engine first since I use an electric pump to remove the oil. Raining too hard for that even.

DAC

wishfully thinking, took the day off work truck shopping, no way no how Im gonna be able to afford. looked at 2, 2018s, 1) Ram 1500 2wd, 1) RAM 2500 4wd.... looking at basic work trucks with V8, conventional cab, 8' bed (worse than needle in haystack to find)
found a couple more up my alley on CL, but when I was 45 min away from here, to look at another truck closest to that one, stopped at a Mickey D's to steal some WIFI for like an hour, could not find this one listing to save my life, called on another one just like the one with the lost listing, same price, close mileage same year, only green instead of maroon.... can't understand Mexican language so I have no idea what that guy was trying to tell me....
got home from stealerships and found the ad I could not find earlier, pretty readily...
why not, when I was up in that area via looking up on my phone?

I have Email and call into owner of truck whose ad I mysteriously lost.... hopefully they call early tomorrow so I can see it and beat rain.
also went by Mom's and got my 78 Sport Fury out of her garage, brought it here to mine. 1st time in 2 summers it has moved past her garage and out of her driveway due to being busy.... gonna need to use it while I shop..... my 92 with its 226K, may have its days with me, numbered....
my wife was fighting me yesterday about the idea but she was with me all day and seeing some of what she seen, as I did, was actually the one pushing me to look at the '18s.... but was more shell shocked than I was when pricing and terms were presented. I'll stay with older trucks and private party deals, thanks very much.

Had to do some rewiring on the Cu 1512 mowing unit. Wires inside one of those mesh typ portecting sleeves rubed through and through 2 wires, shorting everything out. PTO clutch quit and no power to the glow plugs. Had to splice in about 6" of wire on two and tape up one that was just insulation rub. Back up and running, made 2 round and clutch quit again. Back to the shop. Found one of the plastic retainer inside a plug broke and the male spade barely went into the female and thus broke contact. Got that pushed back together right and finished up mowing. First problem with it this year after getting the deck leveled after new blades and deck wheels.

Well, it looks like I'll be working on my Cub Cadet model 123's front steering knuckles..... the front left one has been boogered up since I bought it. Someone apparently hit something hard, messed up the left steering knuckle (axle) and the drag link that is on top of that side, as well as the bracket on the right side where the tie rod connects. While I was tilling with it this morning, the left front axle snapped off. I figure I will replace both axles and the drag link........ nothing that $300 won't fix!

Luckily, I could use another GT to tow it back to the shed, used a come-along to winch it up the ramp and got it parked in it's spot.

Didn't change oil yet in the MF12G! More stuff to get sidetracked. My wife decided that today was the day that we start tearing out carpet to prepare for that hardwood look composite flooring. Got the carpet and pad out of the rooms she wanted to start with so far but now pulling staples and the carpet strips around the edges has to happen. Then my bosshole called. Seems like an emergency at work has arisen. We had been warning him ALL WEEK of this but he just thinks we are trying to get overtime. They've got coverage tonight, but I may have to work tomorrow or even tomorrow night. Whatever happens, I have to mow Monday or the grass that I can get at will be getting out of control!

DAC

I wouldn't, the heat from the fire will just crumble anything made from a concrete base. We have blocks around ours, we've had to replace some of them cause fire got so hot and they fell apart.

I finished getting the cub running on Friday evening. I got off work very early so I mowed at church for over 2 hours, got a nice sunburn.
Worked at the rental house pulling weeds and mulching Saturday. Monday, went with a buddy to another guy we know, he was cleaning out his garage. We split it up, but got a Sears Suburban 18/6 rolling frame with brand nw ATV mud tire all around, 2 hoods/grills, 2 -18 Hp Onans, a vertical shaft 20 HP Briggs opposed twin, Kohler 14 HP vertical, several other small motors, tons of suburban parts, Sears 3 pt hitch , etc all for $300. I have to go back this week and pick up all his scrap metal and fab parts he doesn't want.
; worth every penny , parts will eventually come harder and harder to find

My wife told me to take a break from the carpet removal job and go mow if I wanted. I thought it was a good idea BUT the skies opened up right after I got the oil change done. Way too wet for mowing now and probably a lot less area tomorrow when I attempt it, due to standing water. After the oil change I got soaked making a break for the house and spent the rest of the day pulling staples and carpet strips. Gonna be sore with all the crouching and crawling.

So far I haven't gotten called in to work, crossing my fingers!

I'm on a "Hall of Fame" voting panel for our local speedway and it's that time of year to nominate. I better work on my list of nominees for awhile tonight. Deadline is the 5th.

DAC

A guy brought over a Ford YT18H for me to get going. May have a bearing in the PTO going bad or spindle bearings for the deck. It's rough! One rear tire won't hold air overnight. Gonna be an experience!

Mowed this weekend between the rain, had to make 2 trips Friday and Saturday to get church done. Didn't work on any tractors, but did help son get a O2 sensor out of his Jeep. I spent a few hours trying to get a handle on the garden, consistent rain allowed the weeds to almost take over and I had to re-plant the beans since many of the seeds rotted in the ground.

Back