What are you currently working on??

Work on the boy's Jeep last night, he was getting tired of running a straight pipe and we think no muffler is effecting the rear O2 sensor, some days it runs horrible. He bought a small chamber muffler, still loud, but may give a little back pressure. Gotta finish the tail pipe when I get get Jeep up by garage and welder.

I took my 1980 314, which failed to start recently to an Amish small engine shop for repairs. Shop owner called yesterday evening to say it was running, but, there was a problem, they'd had a shop fire & my tractor was damaged, paint, seat & taillights. He promised to "make things right"! I went over this morning to pick it up, stopping by Orscheln's on the way to check seat & taillight prices, I'd checked the tire prices online also. The damage wasn't too bad: Tractors 2019 027.JPG

Tractors 2019 028.JPG

The shop owner paid me for the new seat, paint, tail lights & new rear tires, I'll take care of the painting & repairs. I stopped back by Orscheln's on the way home & picked up the seat & lights, ordered the new tires this evening. I have the fender pan off, seat off & seat springs painted so far, will have to sand down the fender pan & repaint it. I'll need to replace the sight tube, probably have the right size tubing on hand & the seat wiring grommet, I'll check the local auto parts store for that.

Apparently, an employee was cutting something with a torch & set a bucket of parts cleaner on fire. Instinctively, he threw it out the door, where my tractor was setting!
banghead.gif

Looks like he just missed getting the most on the tractor. Got lucky on that one. Lot of times insurance won't cover the unit if it is outside the shop. Only the ones inside.

If ac system sight glass shows bubbles, than it has / is holding a charge and compressor is running . bubbles usually just mean it is a bit low on charge. That should be an r12 system unless updated. Dont evacuate unless absolutely necessary.

Thank you for that.... encouraging! I guess we’ll figure out if it’s been converted.... kinda hope so..... R-12 is expensive!

Production evening, got a new wire floor put in one of my rabbit hutches.
Then I installed a SSI module I knew worked on the Sears and got it running. Sucks the module I bought would not give spark.
Still had some evening left, drilled and tapped the block on the Kohler Command to install a barb fitting to adapt a pulse pump on the engine. Now to get other motor pulled from mower and get it installed.

Thank you for that.... encouraging! I guess we’ll figure out if it’s been converted.... kinda hope so..... R-12 is expensive!
If you think r12 is expensive, try finding any shop that can work on an r12 system!. Besides, r12 just works.

Had an old Subaru I picked up cheep at an impound auction. The air didn't work and I found a hole inn one of the coolant lines. It wasn't air conditioner season so no rush. Went to a garage sale and bought two R134 refill kits for 6 bucks each. Found a replacement line in a junk yard. My daughter was working in a large chain parts house at the time and was on a first name basis with near every mechanic in town so I called her and ask if she could find out about changing over. About an hour later she called back. Said she had talked to the best AC guy in town and his recommendation was Just fill it up. The incompatibility issue was with the oil. As old as my car was the rest of it would fall apart before the the 134 could cause a problem. The system worked fine until I scrapped the car many years later. Don Should have said that since the system had a huge leak and had been apart it was empty except for the oil. Don

Last edited:
My son broke down the other night with a busted upper radiator hose. He's about 45 minutes from home pouring down rain so I called our "your in good hands" insurance company for a tow. After answering all their questions, some stupid, then being on hold for 22 minutes I hung up. I picked him up brought him home so he could sleep some before going to work the next evening. After going to three three shops I finally got the hose I needed. One was too short, the other place never had it but could order it , finally got it at oreilys. My wife & I went back put the hose on added some water & antifreeze & back home we went. I've had so much trouble getting parts for his truck. It's a 2002 Dodge 1500 Quad with a 5.9 & some 2003 parts. We have a local shop with a young lady in her mid twenties that knows everything. I have had old parts in my hand before while she's looking at her screen then telling me that's not what I need. I quit going there because of her. The other place never has anything, so much for trying to patronize the local town folks.

Funny story I went to get a front wheel bearing for one of my GT. I had the cross reference number from Timken. I showed the guy at the counter & he said he still had to have the vehicle info. I told him you don't want to know that. He insisted so I told him it's a 1976 Mtd 990 with a 16 hp Briggs & no air. I let it sink in awhile then I explained.

I'm fortunate enough to have access to several vehicles and tractors. So unless something is broken down on the roadside, I search the internet for the best price on whatever I need. A couple of days wait for a part delivered to my door isn't a big deal. It's been awhile since I've been in a parts store. Can't say I miss it.

jhn9840
John

Sorry to hear Jim, we used to have a lady at Autozone, I could lay a part on the counter, she wouldn't even have to look at computer to pull part odd shelf. Then we have the other side of the coin like you.

Not sure if this is what are you working on or what did you do with your tractor. Finally got Sears running so I snatched the new to me SS16 and drug it to the barn. The PO, buddy of mine, had some life changes and was done with tractors. So myself and another friend split his sellout, I took the tractor ans a bunch of parts, buddy took the 2 Onans, a twin Briggs, and some other parts. I also bought the PO's Predator 420 that he had on this suburban at one time, only an hour run time. I'm getting tired of constantly repairing the older motors, hoping this will be a dependable engine. Most of it has been cleaned and painted flat black, I'm going to blow it apart and repaint it, not traditional colors. I'll start a thread once I get going.
This will be a true "barn build", gravel floor, cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, and no room :thumbs:

20190614_192505.jpg
20190614_193020.jpg
20190614_194052.jpg

I'm fortunate enough to have access to several vehicles and tractors. So unless something is broken down on the roadside, I search the internet for the best price on whatever I need. A couple of days wait for a part delivered to my door isn't a big deal. It's been awhile since I've been in a parts store. Can't say I miss it.

jhn9840
John
Rock Auto is my go to parts supplier

Sorry to hear Jim, we used to have a lady at Autozone, I could lay a part on the counter, she wouldn't even have to look at computer to pull part odd shelf. Then we have the other side of the coin like you.

Not sure if this is what are you working on or what did you do with your tractor. Finally got Sears running so I snatched the new to me SS16 and drug it to the barn. The PO, buddy of mine, had some life changes and was done with tractors. So myself and another friend split his sellout, I took the tractor ans a bunch of parts, buddy took the 2 Onans, a twin Briggs, and some other parts. I also bought the PO's Predator 420 that he had on this suburban at one time, only an hour run time. I'm getting tired of constantly repairing the older motors, hoping this will be a dependable engine. Most of it has been cleaned and painted flat black, I'm going to blow it apart and repaint it, not traditional colors. I'll start a thread once I get going.
This will be a true "barn build", gravel floor, cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, and no room :thumbs:

View attachment 14433
View attachment 14434
View attachment 14435
Good project for an all out aftermarket utility tractor. I like the flat black. Do you have the body parts, if so how are they painted. Definitely keep us posted on this.

Back