What are you currently working on??

Still no real tractor or truck work, the carpet removal in the house is taking priority over anything in the shop. Hauled another load to the dump and pulled staples all afternoon. We did go buy some paint this morning and some drywall mud and tape to do some small repairs before paint.

There were only two experienced parts people left in town, a husband and wife team that had been in the business since the early 1970's. Unfortunately the husband died a couple months ago. His wife is a manager at a large parts house. She works the counter too but the odds of getting her is not good and the rest of the help are like some of you described. That parts house doesn't have a website though so I can't walk in the door with a part number like I can at Auto Zone or O'Rielly's. I just tell them to get me that part number to save myself the frustration of the "make, model, transmission, etc" routine. 99% of what I buy for our vehicles and my tractors is all done on internet now, with much better pricing and so far no problems. Mostly ebay stores but several months ago I needed a Rochester M carb kit and Rock Auto was the only place I found the right one.

@TAHOE, I can tell you that the predator 420 that's now on my MF12G has run great in the 3-1/2 years it's been in service. No engine breakdowns at all. I do have to get off the tractor and brush clippings and leaves off the recoil every hour or so as it will restrict airflow across the engine, but at least it catches it instead of pulling it into the blower housing.

DAC

Nothing lately with the tractors but probably later today. Finished up the old .50 cal Knight smoke pole I was gifted a while back. Barrell is pitted back back by the plug. Need to run a 11/16 -20 bottom tap in to finish cleaning out the threads so the breech plug will go in easier. Won't be a 200yd accurate shooter but will still be fun to shoot just for the fun of it. Will bring the G16xt with tiller up to the shop later and clean the fuel tank, carb, new fuel lines and a filter on the tiller engine. Tired of fighting the junk in the tank coming loose and getting in the carb.

got my newest to me truck tore apart, thanks to hitting a deer with it last Monday. went junking Tuesday, and got the plastic parts needed to put back together/ headlite assemblys, grill, fan shroud etc... got it mostly apart thru the week, radiator out, grill replaced, damage assessed...
yesterday I looped the trans cooler lines with a piece of hose and put the battery back in, put it in the garage on the lift and pulled the bumper. surprisingly the bumper wasn't damaged much, still usable/ only damage will be hidden by lower plastic air dam part. It was bent a bit at the mounts but I straightened it out with my press, a crescent wrench, huge pair of channellocks, and finally a hammer and 1x4 wood block. the mount brackets on the driver side, were what took the brunt of the damage. I straightened out 2 of them the best I could, by "eyeball" the 3rd one I have to take the core support out to be able to get out. bolts that go thru the frame are knurled and pressed into that part of the bumper bracket.

I am still waiting on my new radiator, so as long as I gotta wait for that anyways/ and since I found brand new bumper mount brackets for a more than reasonable price from of all places JCWhitney, I ordered them yesterday. They have been bent twice now. once by the deer and once again by me, in straightening them... so they are probably weakened...
I just got this truck on June 1, hit the deer with it on the 10th on my way home from work. only 3rd time I had driven it to work/ the wife has driven it more than me since I bought it....
while at the junkyard I really thought about getting a condenser and radiator from a truck there.... as it turns out the existing condenser is bent all to He11, but still holding its charge/ but it got pushed into the radiator, on which the tank got busted out right around the mount, right behind the neck for the upper hose... I think the core is actually good but there aint any swapping side tanks these days, like the old days with copper and brass radiators.

and I see the r12 comments a few posts above... I still have 6-8 cans of it here, gotta throw a can of it into the Fury before it gets too warm around here.

@TAHOE, I can tell you that the predator 420 that's now on my MF12G has run great in the 3-1/2 years it's been in service. No engine breakdowns at all. I do have to get off the tractor and brush clippings and leaves off the recoil every hour or so as it will restrict airflow across the engine, but at least it catches it instead of pulling it into the blower housing.

DAC

Thanks. I hope so, my 16/6 is beginning to become unsure if it wants to start or not. Still runs good when it starts, but hoping for a little dependable.

@Sawdust, the front of my fridge is half covered with Rockauto magnets LOL

Father's Day started out crazy, morning storm took out some trees local, electric went out at 6:30am. Of course I has to move half the barn to get the generator out and I didnt have any connector cord made up, but I did have the plugs. Took about an hour and had some electric in the house, enough to run well pump, my fish tanks and the Kuerig. Power came on after only 4 hrs off.
Then I dug into finishing exhaust on the boy's Cherokee, got the tailpipe on and welded. He was happy. Then we proceeded to strip a lug nut off on his F350 dually. Someone replaced the studs and nuts on that side, they must have torqued them to
5 million pounds. Not sure how we are going to get this one off.
Saturday night I blew the suburban project apart and flipped it upside down to clean underside.

Good project for an all out aftermarket utility tractor. I like the flat black. Do you have the body parts, if so how are they painted. Definitely keep us posted on this.

Yes, I have most body parts. A buddy and me split the pot per say when we bought the package, I took the tractor for the tires and a few other parts, I gave him the nose and hood. I decided a couple weeks after the fact to put it back together so I gotta see if I can get the nose and hood back.
Not staying black, a few parts will be gloss black, but definitely change in body color and wheels. It won't be conventional to say the least and many might not like the color, but oh well Haha

Did some sheetrock repairs then watched beck and forth between Rockies baseball and NASCAR and a bit of NHRA, since my wife asked me to. When she fell asleep, I headed to the shop to dig out some painting supplies. I decided to get the MF12G ready to mow tomorrow so that's done too.

DAC

Picked this Sears off CL for CHEAP! Needs the steering fixed, plastic bushings are worn out. Funny thing though, I put this model # in at Sears Parts and it comes up as a grass catcher. LOL Anyways, I have a Poulan parts machine out back with good steering parts.
DSCN4640.JPG DSCN4641.JPG

Seems the bronze bushing is worn along with the shaft just above the gear. The shaft in front is from the Poulan, seems to be just a bit better quality than the Sears. Both are AYP/Electrolux built and near twins.
DSCN4643.JPG DSCN4644.JPG

Got that back together. and fixed a few other issues. He had robbed a few things from it but I had that from the Poulan. Put some gas in the tank to start it. Grommet in the tank leaks (got a new one). A little carb cleaner in the carb and it fired off, but the fuel pump leaks out the back of it! Engine sounds great, it's a Kohler Command Pro 25HP.

Electric came back on at 12:35 AM on Monday morning, I didn't go into work, I wasn't functioning until about 10 am.

Worked on the new suburban last night, got under frame and under rear fenders all painted....not happy. It is a case of the cap doesn't match the color, shade is not what I want. I am trying to save money, but not sure if I can live with this color. Wanted something bold, but not this.

All the work on the tiller engine fuel system and it still didn't run right. Would fire up, rung good a for a short time, then miss spitter, sputter around and either rev back up and run or just die. Tried adjusting the main jet ( only one) and that didn't help. Has electronic ignition module so no points to worry about. Going to change the plug and see if that helps. Plug was awful black so was running rich for sure. Probably from my adjusting it. I can't believe that it can be junk in the tank after a through cleaning. Would take a lot of junk to plug the strainer on the pick up tube that quick. To wet after the rain to do anything in the garden anyway so guess I will clean gutters today.

Electric came back on at 12:35 AM on Monday morning, I didn't go into work, I wasn't functioning until about 10 am.

Worked on the new suburban last night, got under frame and under rear fenders all painted....not happy. It is a case of the cap doesn't match the color, shade is not what I want. I am trying to save money, but not sure if I can live with this color. Wanted something bold, but not this.
Pictures please:) I'm getting so disgusted with spray cans lately. I got two cans of Rustoleum at wally world last week same color. I used one & nothing coming out on the other. I keep extra nozzles but it was clogged in the can.

Pictures please:) I'm getting so disgusted with spray cans lately. I got two cans of Rustoleum at wally world last week same color. I used one & nothing coming out on the other. I keep extra nozzles but it was clogged in the can.

Not so fast here Jim :D I will post color pics when I am farther along, not reveling color just yet.
I found to heat cans in hot water really helps with preventing clogged nozzles, Rustoleum is bad for that.

I will store them up side down for a few days prior to use, if I know ahead of time. Blow gun over the can tube sometimes will unclog them but have to make sure it is shook enough so it don't clog again. Going to try Tahoe's hot water treatment.

Cleaned and re-gaped the plug in the 5 hp Tiller engine. Checked the fuel pump for foreign stuff and it was clean. Put the plug back in and fired it up. Adjusted the mixture screw and let it run a few min. Ran good so maybe I got it this time. Wanted to put a new plug in but my good ol NAPA store didn't have a plug for a 5hp B&S engine. Could not find a separate listing for the plug, only a tune up kit with points, plug & condenser. Wanted a fuel filter for Kubota d600 diesel in a Cub 1512. Could not come up with the right number. Tried one but was to long. Yep, shop at home all right.

Back