What are you currently working on??

Loaded the sons old truck and he took a load to the dump of old carpet pad and other debris from tearing out the carpet. A gardener took the carpet we pulled up for a community garden in town. They lay the strips between the rows for water retention. I did cut it into 2' strips for them. My wife hauled that to her yesterday afternoon in the '72. Got as much mowing done as was possible along with the trimming. Hit a lot of standing water I couldn't see! During the mowing today I only got stuck once, with the MF12G as I got a little too far onto the slope for the drainage ditch out front by the road. Got it stopped before it got in the flowing water. I had to leave the tractor running with the vari-drive disengaged get off and push while easing the vari-drive into driving the wheels. Last time several years ago I did that I got the '72 to pull and succeeded in getting the truck stuck too. Then I went to move the '55 which was sitting beside the shop in the grass and all it did was spin and sink in. Used the '72 to pull it forward a ways until it could move under it's own power. I'll put it back in the shop tonight. On top of all that the emergency situation at work still exists and we may have to do 24 hour shifts until the problems get rectified. Find that out in the morning.

DAC

Got the fuel pump for the JD F725 in and installed. New oil in it. Took it over to the neighbors pasture to see how it mowed! That was a let down! Anybody want this thing cheap?
Those decks were not made for much volume. They had way to little capacity. Normal mowing they do a nice job but didn't like the dirt ring they left around the bushes and trees. The front deck & offset concept is nice but wouldn't want another one. Use it for normal lawns and you will be OK.

Going to have to work on the 1512 Cub with the Kubota d600 diesel. Last couple times I mowed it would act like it was loosing power on one cylinder. Changed the fule pump and the old one was real week and it worked good for one mowing. Yesterday it started the same thing but got worse and to the point it would hardly run above 1/4 throttle and then not good. Going to check fuel to the injector pump first. If that is good will move to fuel supply to the injectors. Had the injectors rebuilt about 30 hours ago so that should not be a problem but it could. Only used for mowing and blowing snow so don't get a lot of hours. 135 in the last 3 years.

Didn't check a thing but the oil on the cub yesterday morning. Started it up and finished up the mowing, about 45 min and it never missed a lick. I am thinking the side panels that hide the engine may be holding in to much heat and effecting the fuel some how. Not sure that could happen with it being diesel but who knows. Put it in the shed and will try it again next week.

Finished up working on friend's pressure washer. It ran good, but the trigger would never shut off the water and it would cause pump to pulse. I took handle apart, cleaned it, little ball and spring was rusty. Once I put it back togther, it still wouldn't shut off, it was if the handle was keep valve open. I trimmed the plastic housing back allowing handle to rock forward just a smidge, worked great.

5 hp Briggs ona tiller running real bad. No power, misses, etc. Thought water in a metal tank though it was inside. Drained the tank into a can but that didn't show up any water, dirt or anything. Tried it again, same problem. This morning going after the carb. Got to get the garden tilled to replant some stuff. All that rain had it packed down hard. Really pull to go about 3" deep. Tiller is on a sleeve hitch on a Bolens G16 XT. Got to stay in 1st as 2nd the tiller takes over the ground speed.

I thought I would be working on a Coleman generator. My son asked to borrow it to power tools to build his dock. I brought the old generator up from storage, noticed there was a "shop tag" on it. I got it serviced??? 15 years ago or so?? Added gas and after a few pulls fired right up and purrs. Only 1000 watt so the circular saw will be a bit pokey but it will get the job done.

The carb clean worked for while, long enough to get the job done. Went back over a couple of the tiller center strips that din't get tilled up the first time and it flat dies and won't run without the choke 2/3 out. Parked it in the shed. I hate messing with those darn things that have the carb mounted on the fuel tank. Then add a top pull throttle rod and a front pull choke rod to the mess and have to take all the shrouding off to get the darn carb off. Must have some junk in the tank that keeps messing the carb up. Screen on the pickup was good though, little fuzz on it is all. Save that for a better day. To darn hot to mess with it today.

Started my day by replacing a headlight bulb in my '11 equinox and then I changed out the clockspring on the 95 ram 3500. I hope the cruise control will work again, I will take it out for a test drive tomorrow. Then it was time to look at a guy 8N ford that he dropped off for me to work on. He said it was blowing junk out the breather on the oil fill tube and then it shut down and would not start. I put the battery back in the tractor after an 1hr on the charger and it would turn over but not run. The reason it shut down on him and would not run was due to no gas in the tank. After putting 5 gal of gas it fired up and ran, the junk coming out the breather looks like engine oil. I think this engine has a blown head gasket, when it runs there is a antifreeze smell and it looks like a head bolt is seeping antifreeze. I will do a compression test tomorrow to see if it shows good compression or not. The last thing I did before mowing the yard was strip down the MF12H I bought last week, it is stripped to the frame. I will start working on cleaning sanding and painting in the coming weeks.

In between more important thing been cleaning up a couple old guns that came our way. One was an original Knight D.I.S.C. .50 cal black powder rifle. 6-8 " at the end of the barrel have nice groves & lands. The lower 2/3 are bad, like in real bad. It will make a shooter but nothing for any accuracy. Soaking in PB Blaster now. Breech plug came out OK.

Second one is cleaning up real nice. An old Winchester Model 60 .22 cal. Mfg in 190 - 1934. Pr-serial number but the barrel is date stamped 31 for 1931, when it was made. Rifle was probably completed in the 1933. Nice groves in the barrel. Overall in good condition and will be a nice shooter.

Finished up the Old Winchester Model 60 .22 rifle yesterday. Hammer (enclosed in the bolt) would not stay cocked. Seen where the wear place was. Fixed it with about 4 strokes of a file. All together and in working condition, re-blued and all. Need to put a dot of night sight paint on the front sight yet. Worked more on the .50 cal muzzle loader. Got the barrel as clean as I could get it with stainless steel scrub pad piece warpped around a 20 ga patch holder on a cleaning rod. Rod chucked in a drill and run it many times in and out, let it soak another 48 houres and more scrubbing. Heavily pitted but the muzzle end looks good. Cleaned up the outside, blued it and oiled it down good, put the stock back on, zeroed the scope & mounted it and set it for front to back distance. Now I need to remember where in heck I put the hammer assembly after I cleaned it up. :mad: Once I locate that it will be ready for test firing. First shot will lay it across a tire and weight it down. Pull the tigger with a string. If all is well will run a few more light loads through it and see how things look. Should be a good light load smoke pole target rifle.

The ongoing process of getting my recently acquired 1969 Ford Falcon Futura wagon continues. After replacing the rear air shock's cracked air lines, I replaced the front shocks, which improved the ride tremendously. Sometime in it's past engine swaps, the windshield washer system was removed. So, I went by a local You Pull It and found a combination radiator overflow/washer fluid reservoir from an early 90's Ford pickup for $16 as opposed to $65+ for a new one (plus $15-$20 for a washer fluid pump). After some cleanup, I have a nice tank and the pump is working nicely. Now I just need to purchase a washer hose/nozzle kit and hook it all up. I will mount the new tank where the current overflow tank is. The connector for the washer pump was tied back in the wiring harness and in good shape. The connector was good and the correct one for the washer pump.
Figured out that this car has a TCI Sizzler C4 transmission and torque converter.... also has a Detroit locker in the rear differential. Nice! This thing is getting better by the day and is fun to drive. Sounds awesome! It's a real sleeper..... nice stuff under the hood, but a wagon! This will look really nice with tinted windows. The air conditioning system has bubbles in the sight glass, so I need to get by our favorite local shop to see if the system will hold a vacuum, then go from there.

The ongoing process of getting my recently acquired 1969 Ford Falcon Futura wagon continues. After replacing the rear air shock's cracked air lines, I replaced the front shocks, which improved the ride tremendously. Sometime in it's past engine swaps, the windshield washer system was removed. So, I went by a local You Pull It and found a combination radiator overflow/washer fluid reservoir from an early 90's Ford pickup for $16 as opposed to $65+ for a new one (plus $15-$20 for a washer fluid pump). After some cleanup, I have a nice tank and the pump is working nicely. Now I just need to purchase a washer hose/nozzle kit and hook it all up. I will mount the new tank where the current overflow tank is. The connector for the washer pump was tied back in the wiring harness and in good shape. The connector was good and the correct one for the washer pump.
Figured out that this car has a TCI Sizzler C4 transmission and torque converter.... also has a Detroit locker in the rear differential. Nice! This thing is getting better by the day and is fun to drive. Sounds awesome! It's a real sleeper..... nice stuff under the hood, but a wagon! This will look really nice with tinted windows. The air conditioning system has bubbles in the sight glass, so I need to get by our favorite local shop to see if the system will hold a vacuum, then go from there.
If ac system sight glass shows bubbles, than it has / is holding a charge and compressor is running . bubbles usually just mean it is a bit low on charge. That should be an r12 system unless updated. Dont evacuate unless absolutely necessary.

Got the call from the shop yesterday evening that my 314 is running, but, there is a problem!
gaah.gif
They've had a fire & the seat, tail lights & fender pan paint were damaged. So, off to the next town this morning to see the damage for myself, they promised to "make it right". I'll need to check the tires & sight tube also, we'll see!
unknown.gif

Back