What are you currently working on??

Got the Yews trimmed this morning, the sheared some other shrubs back along the east & west property lines. Took the back wheels off the 314 & painted the weights, cleaned the soot off the wheels before noon. Dismounted the scorched tires & set them out by the road, hoping somebody will pick them up. Mounted the new tires & aired them up to 10 psi, I'll check them in the morning before I put them back on the tractor!

Yesterday, I got the power washer out and gave the Huskvarna and deck a bath. Decided the deck needed prettied some so I cup brushed all I could get to. Then some light sanding by hand. Squirted a fresh coat of semi-gloss Black on it.
DSCN4666.JPG

I got the new blades in the mail this morning, but I need that center spindle yet. It had stripped the cogs off where the pulley goes and it's cheaper to just get a new spindle. May see that Friday!

Finished up- on the QT this morning. Took me over 2 hours to get that freaking deck mounted again. Did not want to cooperate and fought every move I made. Finally got the 6' crow bar and 30" wrecking bar and it finally came together. The deck is so darn heavy and hard to get/keep lined up right so the back arms will engage on the lift pins. Took it out and tried in in some 2' tall stuff. Left the deck locked up so it cut about 6"+. Did a good job. Fuel pump is bad and when the tank gets below about 1/2 it stops feeding fuel. Will put an electric one on. Tighten up the choke lever so it stops moving while running. These Bolens QT's are a brute of a tractor. Needs some paint on the hood, side panels and fender pan and will be a good looking machine. Now I need to find the gear case parts for the snow thrower.

SAM_1114.JPGSAM_1115.JPGSAM_1116.JPGSAM_1117.JPG

I got the rest of the deck parts painted, waiting for the new parts. I had the JD 265 out yesterday, but it wasn't charging. When I put the Kohler V-Twin in it, I used the existing JD regulator. Guess it quit. So I wired in a Kohler regulator. All is good again!

Woke up to a hot house last Friday morning with standing water under the furnace cabinet. I took the cabinet apart & found a block of ice covering the A coil. I used a heat lamp to thaw it expecting it to be dirty. Clean as a whistle but sprayed some cleaner & rinsed it out anyway. It ran real good for a day then freezes up again. Did the same thawing routine again. I called a friend & he came out with some gauges & freon. Not sure how much he added but he said it was low. It ran real good for about two days then froze up again. I went outside to the heat pump & sprayed some soapy water on the shrader valves. Sure enough I had a leak. My same friend borrowed a valve core remover from his friend & changed the valve. All is good now & thankful for having friends that care.
20190701_161611.jpg

Continuing to work on our 1981 Ford Bronco. Basically replacing the entire AC system. Got the compressor and drier replaced last week, now waiting for new evaporator, condenser, and compressor clutch pressure switch to arrive Friday afternoon. Found a 1966 quarter in the evaporator housing, along with an ink pen and a lot of leaf/dirt debris. Cleaned all of that, so now just have to wait. Will hopefully have everything ready for the shop on Monday to evacuate and recharge the system.

While I was working on this project, the alternator gave up the ghost. The alternator was the original one, so I guess 38 years is pretty good. Meter was barely reading 12v at the battery posts with the engine running. The “Bat” connector on the alternator was corroded and didn’t want to come off, so I clipped the wire, added a new crimp-on terminal, then proceeded to install the new alternator....... used dielectric grease on all of the connections, then did the same for the other end of each connection. Old alternator tested bad at the parts store..... all good now. ( I think that old alternator has been marginal for quite some time...... I just never checked it.)

Last edited:
Working on a 1 yr old snapper push mower, cleaning carb already...plastic carb :eek: It was full of junk. I decided to test it cutting some of my grass, started missing just a few mins in. Guess i gotta pull carb again, maybe drain tank.
Also, sticker on top of mower says "no change oil, just check and fill"....what the...????

Just like paint or any other finish. You don't use it with high humidity. Couple of bigger dehumidifiers will halp a lot.

Kind of stuck having to get it done. I threw my dehumidifier in there this morning. I hope it helps! I have my second coat done, need to slap on my third and sand, paint and prime before Sunday. Going to be tight with it taking 24 plus hours for the mud to dey

Kind of stuck having to get it done. I threw my dehumidifier in there this morning. I hope it helps! I have my second coat done, need to slap on my third and sand, paint and prime before Sunday. Going to be tight with it taking 24 plus hours for the mud to dey
I hate standing around watching mud dry!

Here some pics of the Huskvarna sans deck. Got it lookin' pretty good I think. Left front wheel is the one I painted, think it matches pretty good. The sun got me on the last pic!
DSCN4667.JPG DSCN4668.JPG DSCN4669.JPG

I know what you mean. I try my best to do paint, stain, varnish, etc. in the winter when the air has a lot less moisture in it. Probably why I have some paint jobs that arn't getting done. High humidity is Miller Time !

I had gotten reaquianted with an old sign painting friend on Facebook, so I get notified if he has something for sale even though he lives about 35 miles north near Sturgis. He posted a non-running 5 HP 24" snowblower for sale, 50 bucks. I was on call at work so couldn't go look at it until my next day off. I had been thinking that a small one would be perfect for doing the concrete patio as the tractors are to big. Today we jumped in the '55, went and had breakfast with a couple of cousins that were in town briefly and headed up there---right when the rain dumped another 3/4" in less than an hour. Got up there, engine turns fine and the augers are free. Offered 40 and he took it. He said it hadn't been run in two years. I was thinking I may have overpaid even at 40. Stopped by Harbor Freight when we got to Rapid and went home.

It's still in the truck but I tinkered with it for awhile, looked in the tank and it was clean and had gas in it that smelled fine. He had put some gas in it a while back but couldn't get it started. Gave starting it a shot. Nothing. Grabbed a can of ether and gave it a squirt and it fired on the second pull. To my surprise it kept running on it's own at idle! I let it run about 5 minutes. The linkage for revving it up is stuck so idle is all I got for now. May be getting it usable for a minimal amount of cash and just a little time tweaking stuck and tight things like shifter linkage and the chute rotating crank. All I can see that's missing is the kill switch. Wire is there and it killed the engine when I grounded it just as it should.

DAC

DSCN1584.JPGDSCN1585.JPGDSCN1586.JPGDSCN1588.JPG

Try Durabond.

Debating if I want to continue fighting that B&S 5hp on the tiller. Cleaned the carb 3 times, cleaned the tank twice, it still wants to run good for about 10 min than flat dies. Starts up, runs crappy, dies a couple more times, back to the shop. Got it started & run carb cleaner through it. run and started good. Shook heck out of the tiller and all to see if it would stop from the movement in use. Kept right on running. Back to the garden & tilling again, ran good for about 10 min and died. Same old story. I never did like any engine that had the carb mounted directly on top of the gas tank. About to put a Predator engine on the tiller and this old Wards branded Briggs will have a new home.

Debating if I want to continue fighting that B&S 5hp on the tiller. Cleaned the carb 3 times, cleaned the tank twice, it still wants to run good for about 10 min than flat dies. Starts up, runs crappy, dies a couple more times, back to the shop. Got it started & run carb cleaner through it. run and started good. Shook heck out of the tiller and all to see if it would stop from the movement in use. Kept right on running. Back to the garden & tilling again, ran good for about 10 min and died. Same old story. I never did like any engine that had the carb mounted directly on top of the gas tank. About to put a Predator engine on the tiller and this old Wards branded Briggs will have a new home.
Gas cap not venting? Don

Back