What are you currently working on??

Today I went to a garage sale, the guy has been having one this weekend every year for as long as I can remember, kind of a wasted trip this year. Then came home and started cleaning up the garage attic, so that I could rearrange things, get rid of some stuff, especially my son's stuff that lingers in my attic even though he now has 2 houses of his own, and the clincher, to finally finish putting OSB down on the top of the ceiling joists as a floor for the attic so I can hold heat in for the winter and to prevent something rolling around up there from hitting me in the head.... I put the Dakota up on the lift so I could pile stuff on the bed while I work up there, gonna eventually Wall off the hole in ceiling around the lift. I had to take some joists out and header them off, a couple of years ago, so I could raise the lift all the way up and not have to crouch when working under a car
my son and I did the first half of the attic floor about 3 years ago, I've had the materials to finish since then.

Well too that depends on what they are using as hydraulic oil. Many call for motor oil anyway. Either way the filter is usually on the low pressure side of the hydraulic system, last stop before going back to whatever serves as the reservoir
In the case of the cub cadet and the ariens both of which use the sunstrand hydro, a frame ph8a, Ford fl1a, wix 51085 are direct, exact cross reference to the oem filters and they are most commonly used as motor oil filters. To buy one in this case that said "hydraulic" on the label would only be so they could get you to pay more. Do we really know what the internal difference is between one filter and another? As long as an "oil" filter shows as an acceptable interchange for the stocker there is no harm in using it as a hydraulic filter. Do you really think that your gt knows the difference?

Yes, some hydro's use straight motor oil and an oil filter would work just fine. Not the case with Bolens. Run Hy Tran or quality Hydraulic Oil and they work a lot better. Maybe the Gt don't know the difference but I do that is what counts.

Nice day here, so I did some pressure washing on the tractors, the new to me snow blower I've been working on, and the engine of the '06 Denali. First chance I've had since the hydraulic leak when the hydro boost gave out. Also washed the concrete where the truck was leaking. It's still visible but much better.

I'll throw in the last three pictures for laughs. My wife didn't get time to plant flowers this year due to the flooring and painting project in the house, but a few decided to come up anyway, but not where we would have preferred! I didn't have the heart to spray them as the weeds get so they will just be there until the snow flies!

DAC

washing1.JPGwashing2.JPGaccidental1.JPGaccidental2.JPGaccidental3.JPG

Yes, some hydro's use straight motor oil and an oil filter would work just fine. Not the case with Bolens. Run Hy Tran or quality Hydraulic Oil and they work a lot better. Maybe the Gt don't know the difference but I do that is what counts.
hy tran is pretty thin, what is the micron level of a "oil filter" vs a "hydraulic filter"? I think youre worried over nothing.

physical size of the outer filter body has nothing to do with whether a given filter will "work" in a given application, by itself. It's what is inside that counts. Material, density, micron rating, check valve (or not) and whether the application needs one (or not) thread diameter and coarseness, and location/diameter of sealing gasket are what counts.

Lets talk oil filters for a minute. just for arguments sake. All of my vehicles call for a Fram PH16/Wix-Napa 51085. but that doesn't mean those are the "only" ones that will work and not cause damage. I could use a PH 2835 (many of our Briggs and Kohlers with remote filters can use these) but it is physically about 1/2 the size. which only means that it has less capacity and will potentially plug sooner. but before it gets to that point it will work just as good as what is "called for".... Nest up in size from the "called for" filter is a PH43/51068. same as called for but slightly longer can. so slightly less likely to plug. then we have the FL1A, PH8A,PF2,etc.... (all different brands but same filter as each other-- I think WIX is 51115) again same diameter as stock, same filter media, thread size, gasket dimensions, etc, This is the one I like to use when space permits. Larger yet, more capacity to trap dirt, less yet likely to clog due to size and area within, etc.... but they will ALL work as will a PH 400, again skinny can but longer than PH 2835.

Often the only difference/determining factor is room available for the filter. truth is there is ALOT of consolidation that could be done, lots of filters that could be discontinued and guaranteed, there WILL be alternatives that will fit and filter just the same as what may have been "called for" many years ago. There are some "hydraulic" filters that are identical in every way to an "oil filter" except for the markings because people have the idea that it is the "only thing that 'can' work for this application. why would a filter that works on a Sundstrand 15 in a Deere NOT work on a Cub with a Sundstrand 15? Same hydro. Ariens, wheel Horse, and so many more use the same hydro as one another, and yeah they may call for different fluids but at the end of the day, if we are talking the same unit, no matter what brand the tractor may be, then the same fluid and filter that will work in ne will work in the other. The biggest issue here is not to mix them, if you want to use something different, don't just "top off", change it out completely to your preferred fluid.

So who makes this filter. Going on my 05 ford ranger.
Always put the same one on. Never seem to have any trouble.

Noel

Attachments

• 39A22FE1-D88A-434E-BC19-AC89B31D2582.jpeg
    39A22FE1-D88A-434E-BC19-AC89B31D2582.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 3
  • D68D6879-B198-4E83-8868-72481710777D.jpeg
    D68D6879-B198-4E83-8868-72481710777D.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 095E53B3-018E-451A-8F7E-8B09A0557871.jpeg
    095E53B3-018E-451A-8F7E-8B09A0557871.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 3
Polaris Ranger had LH tail & brake light not working. Found a dirty ground connection in a plug under the box.Cleaned the three terminals, coated with silicone grease - problem solved. Moved to the IH Cub 1650 and hooked up the amp gauge after a re-motor. Put a Vanguard 16 hp in it . Got it as a rolling frame with a snow thrower. Back to snow duty this winter.

Have a famiy get together this Saturday so been getting ready for that. Run a bunch of apples through the pealer, corer, slicer for a couple pies. Run some wood through the spliter, which started on the first pull on ethanol, thank you. Had not been run since Nov. of last year. Finished getting the basement ready in case it rains.

Got the engine pulled out of the 3410 and a new coil installed and now trying to get the broken screws out of fan so I reinstall the screen. Oh and the mouse nest got cleaned out.

Got a push mower and a JD LA145 to work on. Also a pressure washer to put a new pump on. After these, it'll be time to start getting things ready for the show in about a month in Catoosa. Alice will be sporting her 2-bottom plow. I'll take two JD's, my 112 (to sell maybe) and the 316 with the fork lift. Need to pull the 316 fender pan and finish sanding and getting the Rust Reformer on it. Not sure if I can get any finish paint on it.

Did a bunch of things in the house, paint touch up, cleaned the dryer vent duct, hang the pool cue rack and pictures, mount curtain tie backs and other piddly stuff. Got out to the shop and put new o rings on the pressure washer hose and stored a bunch of stuff upstairs. It's getting kind of chilly in the shop already since it's been cool outside!

DAC

Had a little family get together Saturday. One son , wife and 2 great grand kids along with 2 grandsons & family's. Several other couldn't make it due to work, etc. Nice cool day, had some light mist off and on, overcast all day. Had one shower that run us in the garage to bag apples. Tied into one of the Georgia Rattlesnake Watermelon that had a bad spot on the bottom at one end. Real good melon, sweet and bright red, not a lot of seeds either. Gathered 14 of them big bad boys Friday morning to get them off the wet ground. Have several photos but don't have the camera set up on this new computer yet. This dinky keyboard has to go - made for tiny hands and fingers.

Got the camera working: Sidewalk is 32" wide to give an idea the size.

Garden Melons 001.JPGGarden Melons 008.JPG Garden Melons 006.JPG

Garden Melons 007.JPG

Last edited:
Potato digging today. 3 fifty foot rows. Rain for the rest of the week, so be nice to have done. Never know when it would be dry enough again to dig. Don’t want to be digging in the mud Have a helper so couple of hours will do it.

Noel

Attachments

• AD0AD56E-10AC-4622-9671-B4D5923F2635.jpeg
    AD0AD56E-10AC-4622-9671-B4D5923F2635.jpeg
    361.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 6156DEA7-293C-439B-A221-65C684C081F3.jpeg
    6156DEA7-293C-439B-A221-65C684C081F3.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 4828DF23-7859-431A-8C53-BAC4167F8783.jpeg
    4828DF23-7859-431A-8C53-BAC4167F8783.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 11
Back