What are you currently working on??

Are you sure you want fiberglass blowing around in the cab?
Paper side first should not be a problem but if it is it can come back out again. Openings are way to big for foam. Might put the insulation in plastic trash bags w/o the paper. Small hole here and there won't bother any. Good reminder there Chris.

The deck looks a lot like the one on my flat fender, Rick, but from there I can't tell if the deck drive belt would be the same one. The engine pto on yours looks different. Think there may be some numbers on the belt on mine.

DAC
Thanks, but the belt routing is different on a round fender.
J.D. Parts Will get me all the way to my round fender tractor and #39 mower deck. But all the belt numbers are for an 83” and longer belt. I believe those are for a flat fender tractor, 1968 & up.
I have a 5/8x60” belt that goes on but gets thrown off the pulleys as soon as the tractor starts. It is too loose and the tensioning is at full adjustment. I am going to try a 5/8x58” tomorrow. I am betting that by loosening the tension a 58” will work.

Last edited:
A few months back I brought home 1965 J.D.110 round fender. Just the basic tractor. Yesterday when visiting a friend I mentioned needing a mower deck. He walked me out back of the shop and said …take this one. A brass tag 39“ mower deck.
He had acquired a 110 round fender this summer and removed the deck from it. He wouldn’t take any money and I wasted no time in loading it. Somewhere down the road I will make it up to him
I got it installed today. Just need the belt from the mule drive to the deck. After I run it and decide it will work for me I will take it back off. It will be winter project to refurbish it this winter.
Anyone know the drive belt size for a 1965 J.D. 110. Serial number A 19146?
According to JDParts, the belt should be M47043.

Did very little yesterday and about the same today. Mostly stayed out of the way of the tree removal guys. When they took down our big Walnut they gave use a good deal on taking down 5 more of the willows. They showed up yesterday morning to start in. He looked over three that was left. Oen was 90% down but had a limb hanging over the garage that was still green and another one that had 2 large limbs over hanging secondary power lines. Gave use a price on them as he was already here and right next to the three he was working on. Will be taking 8 down this time around and will not have any near power lines, buildings or have all the small limbs to pick up next spring. Got several photos but haven't downloaded them to the computer yet. My job for today is stay out of their way again.

Got the correct belt today for the JD 110 round fender. Thanks to JDJake.
Installed it and mulched leaves and mowed part of the neighbors yard.
The deck is a little noisy, I will address that this winter.
Jake is the man with the JD info! Helped me a lot on my square fender! Deck is loud on mine too. Suppose that means rebuilding the deck spindles even though they are tight.

DAC

Some of those older JD decks don't have grease fittings on the spindles, they used sealed bearings. Others have fittings, but they are on the underside of the deck. If you have a decent press its cheaper to rebuild them, but, you need to realize how they are assembled. Also, check your idler pulleys, about 60% of the noisy decks I deal with at work are idler pulleys.

Finished up this project this afternoon. Took about 4 hours total with the very poor instructions that were about useless. Got it about an 1.5' off center. Went by the bottom back piece and where it had to fit. All in all, it came out good. Zippers are real heavy-duty nylon and work smooth with no binding. Probably won't be driven much in rain or falling snow so not worried about leaks. Will get some fiberglass insulation to lay in front of the dash under the hood to stop the cold wind from blowing straight in. Opening big enough for a dog to chase a cat through. Nice big back window. Will make a couple wood stakes to fit the pockets in the box and a piece of expended metal to protect the back window from firewood when I haul it. Hardest part was to find the old screw hole for the aluminum top that was on it. I put it back on again. Material is heavy canvas with a vinyl type material imbedded into it. Lot heavier than what was on it.

View attachment 75542 View attachment 75543 View attachment 75544
Looks good Roger fits like a glove. It might be a little aggravating to make but I seen a guy lay a plastic bag in an opening and sprayed some expansion foam inside the bag. It immediately conformed to the shape he needed to fill. Once it set up it was removable. You would have to make sure it doesn’t wrap itself around something preventing removal.

Looks good Roger fits like a glove. It might be a little aggravating to make but I seen a guy lay a plastic bag in an opening and sprayed some expansion foam inside the bag. It immediately conformed to the shape he needed to fill. Once it set up it was removable. You would have to make sure it doesn’t wrap itself around something preventing removal.
Great idea, Jim. When I ordered new windows for the '55 GMC, it looked like they packed them that way. Bags filled with expanding foam after already in the box.

DAC

Been thinking about the expanding foam in some of the smaller openings. After looking the front end over better I think the air gets into the cab from the air through the top of the radiator and over the plastic front end cover and fender wells. Storage box up there with about a 2" space under it that allows the air to get into the cab. Most of the radiator is below the fender and frontend cover so don't think it would hurt to block it off. Piece of cardboard and some duct tape would do it.

That's how we ship our smaller units at work, we have 2- 30 gal containers of 2 part foam and a special gun that mixes them as you spray. We have 6' wide plastic sheets we lay over and them spray foam on top and then seal. Doesn't take much, too much and you can't close lids and have to cut some off. Nice in the winter as it's an exothermic reaction keeps your hands warm, but, it will almost burn you it gets so hot.

Back