What are you currently working on??

Was mowing with the CC1512 the other day. Heard a squeal a couple times then smoke from under the front of the hood. Lifted the hood and the fan wasn't turning. Headed for the shop - found the belt burnt in two. Idler pulley for the fan belt seized. First call was the Kubota dealer since it is a Kubots d600 diesel. No access to any engine parts, only the tractor and implements. ? ? Next call was the Cub Cadet dealer. No access to Kubota engine parts, even though it is in a Cub Cadet Tractor. But I did get a phone number to call for the parts. An industrial engine place that covers all of Iowa and everything West of the Mo. River. They did not have the part in stock and could not access the Kubota web site due to technical issues. Got a call back this morning from them, warehouse has several in stock and will be ordered Friday (tomorrow) and they will have it by the 17th. So the tractor is down for 2 weeks. I didn't think there was that much special about that idler. 3/8" bore, ball bearing, 3" diameter, "A" (3.8") belt type pulley. Can find all kind of flat and V belt pulleys but trying to find an A belt pulley? That one has run since 1986 so can't complain to much.

Been watching methods to clean rusty tanks.
1. Electrolysis
2. Works Tolet boul cleaner (mureic acid).
3. EvapoRust (I have this)
4. Rocks + Vinegar. And a lot of shaking.
The tank is pretty bad inside, outside is great. I plan to stick the pressure washer inside it tomorrow and see which method I want to try.

Been watching methods to clean rusty tanks.
1. Electrolysis
2. Works Tolet boul cleaner (mureic acid).
3. EvapoRust (I have this)
4. Rocks + Vinegar. And a lot of shaking.
The tank is pretty bad inside, outside is great. I plan to stick the pressure washer inside it tomorrow and see which method I want to try.
I saw a video where a guy put rocks in his rusty tank, then strapped it to the back tire of another tractor while jacked up. He started the tractor and just let it run. I forget how long it had to run that way. Looks like a nice Cub, Larry!

DAC

Nothing but found a tractor frame for a friend to make trailer. We went half. I took the front wheels/axle with my $awbuck. image.jpg

Got a customers Sears GT5000 to work on. New spindles and deck belts. Stripped the old spindles this morning, think they were the originals. Replacement spindles will come with grease fittings. Husqvarna quality parts, $200 for the parts.

went thru 2 Ariens 48" decks yesterday, have been having issues with machines at the storage barn owner's place. so for now the snowblower and the tiller are coming off of my 2, GT19s, and mowing decks going on for the 1st time since I have owned these 2 particular machines, to buy myself some time to get various repairs done....
brought them home to grease, sharpen, free up, etc... where I have my tools at including an acetylene torch should it have been needed..... always forget to grab something to take out there with me when I know I'm going out to do something besides mow.... like work on stuff.

I took the blower off of the machine that it has been mounted to since I finished redoing said blower, and went to put the deck that came with that machine "back then", and the slip yoke for the driveshaft wouldn't extend, rust-seized. Got tired of laying in tall grass trying to get it freed after I had mounted deck to tractor, 30 miles from home and tools..... so off it came again and into the bed of the truck. this was the 1st time I have ever tried to run this particular deck, since I brought it home. I did blow out a huge mouse hotel, after I unbolted the covers.....

Blades and belt look new, as PO had told me they were when I'd gotten that machine.... got driveshaft off and freed up in vise.... lots of hammer work.
One of the blade spindles didn't want to take grease.... plunged check ball in zerk, no help. removed zerk and poked around, put back on and got my air greaser out... it still ka-chunked real slow, like it does when it is below zero out while it pumped fast on the other zerk on that deck, and both zerks on the other deck.... but still was surprised by the huge pile of grease under that side of deck with stuck zerk even still... I have no idea how long it has been, since either of these decks has been greased....
I took the other deck off of my S16 that I gotta do some motor work on.... never have had a Kohler K341 before this one that won't shut off.... key off and in my pocket you'd think this thing was a diesel. I've run that one for about 1/2 a season til the dieseling started.... it's claimed its spot in line.
then my New Holland version, IDK what's up with that one, within about 45 min it leaks enough oil out of the engine to go from "FULL" to "ADD" on the stick, cant tell yet where that's coming from. about 100 hours (at most) on a totally rebuilt 12hp Magnum.... still running that one with gritted teeth.... along with my Cub 129. Got 3 Cubs to work on, all belong to barn property owner.... a 1250 that just died, lost spark while out in the yard, and wont crank w/key.... have to jump off another battery, cables right to starter.... before it lost spark.
then a pair of 1200s, have 1 home in the garage waiting on clutch parts to arrive.... the other one mysteriously lost all of its engine mount bolts, engine is just dancing around.....need to run the old gas out of them and get them some excercise anyways.....

I have been watching another Ariens sit and sit and sit with weeds growing almost enough to hide this machine from view.... have no idea what the situation is with it other than it (was) in someone's backyard 2 blocks from my son's house.... watched that thing sit 2+ years, was there a week ago, now it is either gone or moved elsewhere on property (like possibly right along back of house where it cant be seen from road no more..... ) looks like I snoozed and lost on that one. before it got nearly grown-over it looked like it wasnt in too bad of shape.

Not necessarily crazy about that brand of tractor, just what I have happened to be able to find, so have merely "stuck with them" because of interchangeability..... and definitely better, than newer (sorry) box store garbage.

probably will need to mow with the GT19s at least 2-3 times before I can get the rest functional again, with Mother in law going in for operation and the wife and I headed out for a week or so a week after that.....

Friday evening windows 10 gave me a surprise while I was trying to read on this site. It just ignored my command to wait on it's DAILY updates and just booted me off. It came back on in a while but I decided to try to contact microsoft and find out why they are screwing with this machine all the time. A person told me my version of windows10 is way outdated and we could load a new windows10 version. I said fine since it was free. After about 4 hours, it was stuck at 79% loaded. Got mad and cancelled it as I had to do a couple emails. Tried again today. It only took about 3 hours to reach 100% loaded only to have a message come up that said "windows10 download failed" Someone needs to go thump some knots into Bill Gates head!
DSCN3207.JPG

The old version is still working so heck with those spamming idiots. Just going to have to ignore the constant "update" messages. Research on the net sounds like many other folks fight with this too. I long for the days of Windows XP! That program performed great for me for 12 years.

Ok enough of that mess! I thought there was a "tool find" thread but didn't locate it so here's my latest dumpster find, last Friday at work. I seen a co-worker throw a bench grinder into a dumpster. It was his from home and he told me "the shaft is bent". The stones looked darn near new so I took it anyway. 8" Delta. At home I spun it by hand and the wheel on the right just spun slow. Took the cover off hoping the nut was loose but it was gone---LOL! Found another nut and it seems fine now. The light doesn't work, but the bulb does. No big deal. My other 2 bench grinders are 6" so this one might be replacing one of them. I really don't use the grinder much, but I like the wire wheels. Still might be good to have one around with nice sharp wheels again!
DSCN3210.JPG DSCN3212.JPG

Then lastly, the MF12G was needing prepared for summer! Did deck maintenance greasing the zirks in the mower spindles, and deck rollers, sharpened the blades and just looked it over well. Then got out the overhead crane and lifted the tractor to inspect underneath and lube the zirks. Belts all look good and didn't see anything that needed repair.
Ready to mow 5-9-21.JPG

Went ahead and mounted and leveled the deck, and greased the front hubs. Ready to mow! Will change engine oil after a couple of mows.
Ready to mow-5-9-21.JPG

DAC

I got my big air compressor about the same way. Near new but the owner said it would not pump up to full pressure. Had a box full of new replacement parts, pressure switch, lines, etc. He got tired of waiting and need an air compressor so bought antoher new one. Listed this one for $100. He help load it with his loader tractor. Got it home, plugged it it, got up to 60 lbs and no higher. Thought I heard some squealing so pulled the belt cover off. Motor was cocked off to the side and the belt was loose. Lined the motor up and snugged the blet up and it has been running for 5 years now. Big 2 cylinder on about an 80 gallon tank. Stand over 6' off the floor.

It’s not a tractor, but I’ve spent the past two days with a roller and paint brush in my hand. I did the ceiling yesterday and as far as I could get on my walls with a roller and extension. Today is slow going as I cut I , move scaffold and repeat. I get to do it all again tomorrow for the second coat. 60A5E7FF-3885-42EB-8450-A8A0227879EE.jpeg

Got the Briggs L Head in the 782 this afternoon. Had to replace the pilot bearings on the engine and transmission ends of the drive shaft. In the morning will hook up a couple wires and should be ready to go. Then mount the deck and mow for about 2.5 hours. Will have to cut it a bit high and then go over it in a few days.

I got the head put back on the DA 916 and knocked a couple nuts down into the frame so had to scrounge up some more. Still waiting for the mud to dry some more before I try to get it out of the shed.

Back