What did you do with your tractor today?

I drove the Wheel Horse 1257 outside today and helped load it up.
Finally had a legitimate customer off of marketplace!
He came over last night and test drove it in the dark. He loved the fact you could change the blade angle from the seat and that the headlight was so bright. Said he would probably be doing most of his snow removal in the dark after work.
Came back today with a trailer and cash.
Picture is an older one. I have since replaced the edge and painted the blade.

Attachments

• 20221111_132252.jpg
    20221111_132252.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 4
Don’t be like me Noel I have a K301 torn apart, cleaned, and parts needed ready to re assemble now for over a year. It’s a good thing I put a coat of thin oil on everything.
I too have a k301 out and took apart yesterday, have another just like it to dismantle today after the Bears/Packers game. Both narrow base out of Cub cadets. The one I dismantled yesterday did blow the rod, but appears to be a low hour motor. The one I have to rip apart today is definitely much more tired but didn't blow, it's just a smoker. Trying to get 1 good engine between them. I'm gonna send the best parts between them to the machine shop this week. The blown up one does have a small chunk out of the cylinder but I don't think it would hurt anything, this one is a grenade gear motor.

I need to get the other one apart and measured out.

I do have a wide base k321 sitting here that I rebuilt a couple of years ago, hasn't yet been run. It's the original one out of my new Holland S14 that got bored 20 over and the crank cut 20 under.

I had stuck an M12 magnum I had here onto that machine just to get it going at the time, but it now needs to come out since it blew the oil seal behind the flywheel.
Not sure if I'm gonna fix that one and reinstall, or drop the 14hp magnum I have onto it (I have been wanting to test that one out anyway, I haven't run it since I got it and know nothing about it) or put it's original engine back into it yet.

I have been yarding out next years wood. I bring it out in long lengths, buck it up by tghe wood splitter, my wife splits and piles it while go back in for more, the heavy pieces I split. So far this month we have 6 cord of hardwood ct and 2 cord of softwood.IMG_20221206_103629782_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221206_141528898_HDR (1).jpg
    IMG_20221206_141528898_HDR (1).jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20221206_141419408_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221206_141419408_HDR.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I still use my old home made spliter with a 10 hp cast iron Briggs. Very rarely does it stopped by a block that is put in right. Splitting all trunk blcks up now. don't use the tractor much for this type of work. The Polaris Ranger is just to handy and in the garage ready to go.

I still use my old home made spliter with a 10 hp cast iron Briggs. Very rarely does it stopped by a block that is put in right. Splitting all trunk blcks up now. don't use the tractor much for this type of work. The Polaris Ranger is just to handy and in the garage ready to go.
The electric wood splitter I have is a 9 Ton model, split everything so far. I haven't got a four wheeler or quad, always use my garden tractors, in the mid 80's I used my Olympic 340 snowmobile to haul out the wood. I have a 15 acre woodlot on the back end of the property, 95% hardwood.

The electric wood splitter I have is a 9 Ton model, split everything so far. I haven't got a four wheeler or quad, always use my garden tractors, in the mid 80's I used my Olympic 340 snowmobile to haul out the wood. I have a 15 acre woodlot on the back end of the property, 95% hardwood.
I like your setup Keith. Noel got me interested in these last year. I only burn wood in my shop and think these would work well for me. They look to be compact for storage and setup. I definitely don’t need another rig to maintain and have to hitch up or cover up when not in use. I did some research on them last year and found out several are made by the same company just different colors. I see the brand you have but will have to go back to see the brand Noel has. Another problem too I still enjoy splitting wood with a maul. I travel about 15 minutes by atv or 30 minutes by tractor through a little challenging terrain to get to my wood lot. I enjoyed dragging logs like you do but it took me too long to get them near home. I take a trailer and cut them up in 6’ lengths then haul them home to finish. For me the whole process is relaxing. Is that splitting head on yours factory. It looks heavy duty.

I like your setup Keith. Noel got me interested in these last year. I only burn wood in my shop and think these would work well for me. They look to be compact for storage and setup. I definitely don’t need another rig to maintain and have to hitch up or cover up when not in use. I did some research on them last year and found out several are made by the same company just different colors. I see the brand you have but will have to go back to see the brand Noel has. Another problem too I still enjoy splitting wood with a maul. I travel about 15 minutes by atv or 30 minutes by tractor through a little challenging terrain to get to my wood lot. I enjoyed dragging logs like you do but it took me too long to get them near home. I take a trailer and cut them up in 6’ lengths then haul them home to finish. For me the whole process is relaxing. Is that splitting head on yours factory. It looks heavy duty.

I have the same brand as Keith. But mine are 5 ton. They do all my wood. Split 14” honey locust with it a few weeks ago.

Noel

Nothing wrong with an electric wood spliter. When I got this one set up we would split in the timber and load it on a 2 axle trailer. Left all the juck out in jthe timber that way. Only 1/2 mile from home in the neighbors timber. That is a 16' trailer stacked 4' high. All oak and elm. Hate to guess how much weight is on there. Wood-1-08.JPG

Nothing wrong with an electric wood spliter. When I got this one set up we would split in the timber and load it on a 2 axle trailer. Left all the juck out in jthe timber that way. Only 1/2 mile from home in the neighbors timber. That is a 16' trailer stacked 4' high. All oak and elm. Hate to guess how much weight is on there. View attachment 62794
That is a nice load of wood; a lot of work went ito that.

The splitting head is factory.

I have had it 4 years now and split around 25 cord of wood, no issues with it yet. I used to hand split all my wood but developed rheumatoid arthritis and can't do it that way anymore. The splitter has a couple of built in safety features that are great, but I find annoying. The ram stops about 4 inches from the cutter head, so you cannot accidently cut your hand, but when cutting stringy wood you need a small axe to finish it off. I keep a hatchet handy for this. I also have a small block of hardwood that I insert between the wood I am splitting and the ram; this pushes the wood through the splitter head. The on off switch is push button, and you need to hold it in while splitting, this takes two hands to operate; one to hold the switch in the other to operate the lever. I have a stick wedging the button in the on position.

Tho
I think you did mention that Larry---LOL! I feel your pain. I seem to fight them more and more all the time too. I missed part of your video because I got to watching Bonanza---LOL!

DAC
se short springs like on exhaust flanges are the ones I hate. Longer one I have a piece of garage door cable I use, hook the loop over ans S hook to the spring, the other end around something solid and preferable round, clamp a vice grip on the cable and you double your pulling power. Lot time you can get the spring to where it need to be with both hand, hold it with one while you guide with the other hand. Need that S hook to get the cable off the spring.

The splitting head is factory.

I have had it 4 years now and split around 25 cord of wood, no issues with it yet. I used to hand split all my wood but developed rheumatoid arthritis and can't do it that way anymore. The splitter has a couple of built in safety features that are great, but I find annoying. The ram stops about 4 inches from the cutter head, so you cannot accidently cut your hand, but when cutting stringy wood you need a small axe to finish it off. I keep a hatchet handy for this. I also have a small block of hardwood that I insert between the wood I am splitting and the ram; this pushes the wood through the splitter head. The on off switch is push button, and you need to hold it in while splitting, this takes two hands to operate; one to hold the switch in the other to operate the lever. I have a stick wedging the button in the on position.
I built my spliter with that 3" space between the wedge and the ram. I have a 4X4 about 10" long with a rope handle on it. If apiece isn't split when the ran stop I drop the 4x4 in and push it on through. Every 3-4 years have to replace the 4x4. I have the wrong valve on mine. Have to have the lever held to move the ream, both ways. It don't kick out when the ran hits the end either. Just makes the belt squeal. I have run it enough I know right when to stop it but any one else gets on the lever and they can take the belt out in 5 min.

I think about all of the electric splitter have that hold on safety button. I can see why but a real PITA to have to deal with. Be better to have that switch incorporated with the hydraulic lever so one hand could operate both. Some time you just have to have that other had to hold the wood turned right.

Back