What did you do with your tractor today?

I just love the way that blade works for you. I’m envious to say the least.
Now what you need is a good roller. Made mine out of an Anhydrous Ammonia tank. It gets borrowed a lot but I don’t mind because it’s about indestructible.
It pushes the rocks down into the ground so they don’t get kicked off to the side of the driveway and the compaction helps eliminate erosion.
I was actually thinking about a roller while I was out there. The yard could use to be rolled too. I need to start looking for one, or something to build one from.

My neighbor used to have a roller something like this. It worked great when we would work on the road. Too bad he sold it.
1710761897177.jpeg

Yesterday, I got my MF7 out and took it for a ride. While I had it out I cut the one patch of grass that was starting to grow. Another week or two and the whole yard will probably need to be cut.
View attachment 79800View attachment 79801View attachment 79802View attachment 79803View attachment 79804View attachment 79805View attachment 79806View attachment 79807View attachment 79808

Nice looking tractor. Looks to be in great shape. Tractor must be a 1970 or older. ?
I have a deck that has the side chute protector. It’s off a 1969 tractor. I may see if I can get it to work. My worn out deck does not have that chute protector. Or my other parts deck. Now that I’m saying all this, maybe the older units had the protector and the newer ones didn’t. ???

Noel

Nice looking tractor. Looks to be in great shape. Tractor must be a 1970 or older. ?
I have a deck that has the side chute protector. It’s off a 1969 tractor. I may see if I can get it to work. My worn out deck does not have that chute protector. Or my other parts deck. Now that I’m saying all this, maybe the older units had the protector and the newer ones didn’t. ???

Noel
Those chute protectors your talking about usually (imo) are always in the way and are the first things taken off and misplaced for the rest of the life of the tractor..
Weren't they called deflectors.?

Those chute protectors your talking about usually (imo) are always in the way and are the first things taken off and misplaced for the rest of the life of the tractor..
Weren't they called deflectors.?

Well that could be Bill. Those deflectors direct stuff to the ground to protect people and things. All so, they protect your foot from going into the blade.

Give me a break Bill. Did you see what time I was doing that post. !!!!!! To early in the morning. Only a little coffee in by then. Hehe.

Noel

Noel
Thanks. It is a 1970, my grandfather bought it new. The deck that is on it now is not the original one, he got it from a friend that also had one of these. I assumed it was newer, but I don’t really know. This is the original deck. The splines from the driveshaft to gearbox are stripped on one side.
FE0A553B-A3D0-47BB-80BA-E78CD5C771C8.jpeg

Thanks. It is a 1970, my grandfather bought it new. The deck that is on it now is not the original one, he got it from a friend that also had one of these. I assumed it was newer, but I don’t really know. This is the original deck. The splines from the driveshaft to gearbox are stripped on one side.
View attachment 79836

Deck on my tractor looks like yours in that picture.
And that’s what is wrong with mine. All splines on shafts and couplings in bad shape. Not sure yet how to fix that. But my used parts deck parts might get put on and used till they are no good.

Noel

It looks like my grandfather tried to weld the coupler to the shaft, but it didn’t hold.
Think the coupling is suppose to slip over the spline and held in place by a C clip. So they do need a bit of movement. Would drilling the shafts and using a roll pin work.? Sears uses the same set up and maybe even the shafts. So would give you another place to look for parts...

Well that could be Bill. Those deflectors direct stuff to the ground to protect people and things. All so, they protect your foot from going into the blade.

Give me a break Bill. Did you see what time I was doing that post. !!!!!! To early in the morning. Only a little coffee in by then. Hehe.

Noel
And Noel you're up earlier than me most times...
Still no excuse...!

Welding may or may not hold. And if all of them are welded. Then you can not change the belt, easily.

Noel
The gearbox has to be removed on one side with the similar deck on a MTD 800 I have in a shed. I mowed with it for over 25 years and sometime during that time I had hit a rock and it stripped the splines on one end. Also broke a blade. Had a friend weld it up, long before I had a welder. I mowed with it for a long time after the welding and it had a bit of vibration but was still cutting when it got shoved in the shed. Had to pull the blade on the welded end, unbolt the gearbox and wiggle the assembly out to change a belt.

That steel discharge deflector that was on the MF610 deck on the MF12G had to go after the first time I mowed with it back in 2011. That dam thing caught everything and would nearly jerk me right off the tractor. Without it the clippings would blow right up in my face and eys when I had to discharge into the wind. Finally made a vinyl flap deflector that hangs in front of the deck discharge. That fixed the issue of wearing the clippings in my face.

DAC

Didn't actually do anything with a tractor yet, but got the s-word crew ready this afternoon just in case. it will have to get worse out than the 2-3" so far to go out with them tomorrow afternoon. Have a couple doc appointments tomorrow, so it will be late afternoon before plowing and blowing can be done.

IMG_1318.jpg

D03F27A5D75C_1711320415.JPG

IMG_1324.jpg

DAC

Is that a cub cadet plow on your massey?
Yes, Rick. Was on it when I got the tractor a few decades ago, along with that power steering pump hydro setup. I had to do a major remount of the blade a few years ago so rotating the plow wouldn't gouge on one side or the other. It was rigid up and down too. Made it so the plow would float when lowered. Usually plow with the blade straight anyway. Didn't know what it came off of until someone (maybe you?) told me on GTT years ago. It did have an IH sticker on it at one time.

DAC

With all that snow Doug I hate to post my grass cutting. I used the Cub Cadet LT1050 today with its new high dollar starter. It performed flawlessly. I cut almost two acres with it some yesterday and finished up today. It’s the first grass cutting of the year. I didn’t want to work the LT too hard but seems like the 23 HP Kohler courage handles the 50” deck well. I definitely have to dis connect the switch that kills the PTO going into reverse. I thought I done that but guess not.

Attachments

• IMG_1557.jpeg
    IMG_1557.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0060.jpeg
    IMG_0060.jpeg
    462.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0063.jpeg
    IMG_0063.jpeg
    431.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0067.jpeg
    IMG_0067.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0068.jpeg
    IMG_0068.jpeg
    454.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0064.jpeg
    IMG_0064.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 3
I'll be sitting in the tractor seat tonight watching the FULL BLOOD MOON EVENT !

I'm staying up tonight to see the Blood Moon eclipse. It will begin in the last hour of my time zone on Palm Sunday and into the next hour on the Jewish feast day of Purim.

This is a real treat before the next American eclipse in under 2 weeks.

Go here and see how well you could see it in the next 1-1/2hrs !

Solar Eclipse...

Bret

Back