What did you do with your tractor today?

Well your right Roger. Blowing the snow away is much better than plowing it. It’s just as fast, and no banks in the way. As my father used to say, ya gotta have some where to put the next storm. If I only had a Plow to use, couldn’t keep the driveway and yard clean the way I do. Plow is fun to use on a nice day and get seat time, but not my choice of snow removal.

Noel

I have a Bolens H16XL that the plow stays on year around. Use it every once in a while all summer but not much during winter. IH 1650 with B&S 16 hp engine with the thrower on that stays year around. Also a G16XT with self powered rear tiller that is also a dedicated unit. Back problems and switches implements off and on is not something I want to do.

Your driveway looks like there's no where to push snow for sure Noel! I've got plenty on the east side of our driveway. It's been several years since I've had to worry about not enough room. I remember now to shove it a few feet further, even past the property line a bit. Neighbor lady didn't care but that acre is now unoccupied anyway. I've never tried a tractor mounted snow blower but for several years I used a 32" 10 HP walk behind. That thing was brutal to operate, no matter how high I set the skids it managed to auger gravel and finding a day to move the snow when the wind wasn't blowing was impossible. To clean one blizzard requires creating another and that one would have some rocks in it. The engine came off of that thing and went in the MF8E where it belongs----LOL! Scrapped the rest!

I may look at seeing if the blower for the MF12G might be adaptable to that 1450 just for the heck of it some time but the 8E does a good job pushing.

I used that company pickup to plow on Monday and sorry I did. Lots of gravel shoved into the grass. Skid gouges, etc. I tried to raise the blade a bit but didn't find the sweet spot. Now I remember why I don't like pickup plows on our driveway.

DAC

Hard to control blade height with a pickup plow. To much up/down movement between the truck and plow frame. Our drive is rock but is 3/8" shoulder rock that packs down like concrete with all the fines that is in it. Same as the state uses along the highways. Don't have an rock problem with the snow thrower. Anything works better when the ground is froze solid before the first snow.

Did that with both of mine yesterday. Got the Bolens G 12 plow tractor fired up. Sat for year and 1/2 as it rained to much las6t fall and didn't get the garden plowed. Changed oil, greased and put the plow on. Couple little rust spots on the plow I will need to polish off.

Hard to control blade height with a pickup plow. To much up/down movement between the truck and plow frame. Our drive is rock but is 3/8" shoulder rock that packs down like concrete with all the fines that is in it. Same as the state uses along the highways. Don't have an rock problem with the snow thrower. Anything works better when the ground is froze solid before the first snow.
I hear that Roger, unfortunately we get the heaviest amounts of snow in the warmer parts of winter. Seems the gravel is always thawed enough with wet snow to make it soft. Sometimes I do wish it was colder---but not that often---LOL!

DAC

We had soft ground under snow last winter. Not fun at all. This year we did get some real cold before the snow. Blower blade stayed above the ground for the most part.

We had soft ground under snow last winter. Not fun at all. This year we did get some real cold before the snow. Blower blade stayed above the ground for the most part.
I built a full-length skid for the 42" blade on the MF8E and it sure seems to work well. Almost no gravel in the snowpiles when they start melting down. Best compromise that I've found after moving snow on this driveway for 48 years---LOL!

DAC

The MF8E got a little exercise today! I took the ECM out of the "Freep" (I'm now calling it the Heep for obvious reasons) to send it in for reprogramming with the security program deleted. It will probably take a couple weeks so it was time for it to go outside. Bungee corded an old tire to the blade and shoved the Heep out of the way for now.

DAC

DSCN3142.JPG

Granddaughter had a soccer game in town at 9 so we had to go to that. Brought the G12 and plow up to the shop for oil change and greased. DNR showed up on a trespassing issue. After she left I plowed the garden. Turned over nice. Brought the G16XT with rear mounted self powered tiller up for service. Both started right off after being parked since late last spring. Done a few other chores and called it a day. No wind this morning so getting the blower out and blow the roof and gutters clear of walnuts, twigs, etc. Have a gutter guard in so junk stays on top and uaually blows off easy. Some of the old walnut leaves have a tendency to try to block things up though.

First mowing of the year is taken care of. Another 6 months or so it will be time to get the plows and blowers back out. It goes by quick.

jhn9840
John

Glad I wasn't the only one in the valley cutting. I cut mine about 11am. At 2 I hear my neighbors up the road tractor. Then the neighbor beside me. Then the one below me. I started a trend.

I just like cutting grass. I usually start as soon as possible.

If I can awaken the JD 68 mower today, I'll see about topping the dandelions.

Glad I wasn't the only one in the valley cutting. I cut mine about 11am. At 2 I hear my neighbors up the road tractor. Then the neighbor beside me. Then the one below me. I started a trend.

I just like cutting grass. I usually start as soon as possible.

I like cutting the grass too. I love the seat time. It’s relaxing to me.

I had some places where it was probably 2 inches high. Other places where it really didn’t need done. Kind of odd for this time of the year, it usually is all running away.

jhn9840
John

Went out and played in the dirt before it rains tomorrow. Wanted to get this 5 acres plowed so the rain would soak in and not run off as the ground has a pretty good slope. Plowed and pulled the drag over it. Ready for the renter to plant.

IMG_0050.JPG

Back