What did you do with your tractor today?

The MF1450 had to earn it's keep for a while this morning clearing junk from around the trailer so I could haul the Gardenway LT to it's owner.

Looks like it will be a good yard mule.
DSCN4363.JPG DSCN4364.JPG DSCN4365.JPG

It even worked as a wrecker of sorts. Hauled my wifes LT in to replace the variable speed belt.
DSCN4366.JPG

Loaded and delivered the Gardenway.
DSCN4367.JPG DSCN4368.JPG DSCN4369.JPG

DAC

Yesterday I cut the whole yard with my MF7 for the first time. It did good. The PTO to deck belt popped off once. I put it back on then it was fine after that. It could really use new belts since the ones on it now are at least 30 years old. It uses oil bad, I mowed for about 2 hours, and had to top it off 3 times. I stopped every 20 minutes or so to check it. I plan on getting it rebuilt in the near future.

Noel, you were right. I think this is my best cutting tractor.
3E5C459D-5F21-43FD-9F69-FACA15F48EBA.jpegB9CF9CD5-6D2F-4B7E-918A-63DA307192F3.jpeg960B198A-2760-434F-8F7A-429514CE9247.jpegADEA3600-1761-4334-B0F5-713023E6F92E.jpeg823A8FC3-5914-4F30-9D68-6A479A6436BE.jpeg

We had our mowing team out today. 1971 MF 7, and 1975 MF 16. Son drove one I drove the other.
They did a great job cutting.

Noel

Attachments

• B2550418-33C7-48F2-B420-5871E7C98139.jpeg
    B2550418-33C7-48F2-B420-5871E7C98139.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 8
  • 85C7D1CD-D196-4675-8CFA-CE7E6CF90A38.jpeg
    85C7D1CD-D196-4675-8CFA-CE7E6CF90A38.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 8F46287C-9D52-4338-9FEA-479463813C97.jpeg
    8F46287C-9D52-4338-9FEA-479463813C97.jpeg
    355.4 KB · Views: 8
blew up my 1st series 1 KT...... bad day, that wasn't the only thing to go wrong....
started out my wife and I were gonna go mow at John's (the farm where my storage barn is) Its been 2 weeks I knew it was gonna be a tough mow.
It was worse than we expected. (tall, thick)
Started out unloading the trailer from yesterdays tractor show.... Nick (my son) has been asking me to dig out his old minibike from when he was a little kid.... even though his kid is still a bit too small to ride. I discovered that by what I had pulled out to take to unload at the show (I did clear out a few things at the show) the front fork of the minibike were exposed..... so I got it out, put a bit of gas in it and surprisingly it started right up (its been buried in there untouched for 6-7 years at least) so I took it for a few laps around the yard....Donna was there to take pix/ and sent them down to Nick/ who (of course) asked if I could bring it along on the way thru to John's..... and surprisingly asked Donna if she'd mind staying at his house to babysit Gene, our grandson.... and especially surprisingly, offered to go mow with me instead while she stayed at his place.... he's not very fond of John the Farmer.... even though he too, has "junk" in John's barn.
so I took my trailer/ and asked, while he was offering to come mow with me, if we could bring his 2 year old diesel Kubota too... bigger deck than anything out at the farm, etc....
His 60" deck wouldn't squeeze between my trailer's wheel wells so we were barely able to get the back wheels off my dovetail and on the flat floor.... so we tied it down there, with most of the Kubota's weight behind the axle. We had to go slow but it is only about 6-8miles or so from my son Nick's place to John's, all country road. so I didn't care about that. The Dakota had no problem pulling the weight.
The 1st problem we had, was that the trailer came uncoupled from the ball and smashed into my tailgate. We were able to both stand on the tongue and recouple it. This happened 3 TIMES!!!!!!! The last time I was going 15mph, on some fresh laid gravel. I don't understand why. I pull that trailer all over, last time (with same ball and mount) yesterday, behind my newer truck that I have only had since last New Years Eve.
I don't get it. Coupler was latched, had a locked padlock thru the eye, had a correct sized for the coupler, 2" ball,

So I head down to the front of the property with one of my GT19's. I've mowed the ditches 3-4 times previously with this mower, but usually I don't. (it usually ain't this bad to mow thru, either)
I had those done, and was back on flat ground, had to crawl to keep from plugging up and bogging down/ but it was doing the job just fine. About a dozen laps into perfectly flat ground. no "BANG" or anything, just all of a sudden, alot of oil smoke.... popped the hood and saw the window in the block.... So back to the barn, "next one up".... a Cub 1200 w/a 50" deck, that usually gets right thru..... but I was having to take 1/2-swipes with it and play the clutch in 1st to slow me down even more..... while Nick ran circles around me on his diesel mower, set the same cut height, and no problem taking full 60" swipes....
I was real close to being done, and John's 1200 started cutting out/ pulled the choke and barely made it to the barn..... outta gas.
so I watched Nick the last 20 minutes, finish up. (I was gonna say screw it, and come back Tuesday and finish that last section)
we purposely avoided any "main" roads on the way there because we knew the tow would be awkward.... on good pavement, I touched 40 a couple times and stared fishtailing slightly, slowed to ~35, and was fine. and I had no issue with towing at that speed.... I wasn't really in a hurry. I decided to stay off the main roads/ and that was before it uncoupled the 1st time. .... I'd slowed, made a left, went about 1-1/2 miles (still on pavement) when it happened the 1st time.
we crossed a main paved road another mile and 1/2 after that, and it happened a 2nd time, about a mile after that crossing. We got it back on, I turned at the last crossroad north of John's place not knowing they'd recently gravelled this road. About halfway thru the gravel section (again only going around 15 thru the gravel) I had disconnect #3. We mowed, reloaded and headed home, stayed on the main roads and didn't have an issue coming undone.
Dropped Nick off, unloaded the Kubota, loaded my cherry picker which he has had on indefinite loan, (which was OK because between uses, it is in HIS way, instead of mine) and went back to John's. I decided to bring home my 129 for its engine transplant, I have the replacement here. a junkyard refugee from a 127 that is a newer, factory Kohler replacement..... Kohler gray and all. I have a Magnum 18 in the shed but not sure I want to use it on this tractor..... I got it as a spare for the other GT19, the one with power steering that I run the snow blower on. That one still has its KT/ but that one's a Series 2 version. Decisions......

Moved part of yard yesterday with the 16/6 before I was rained out. Finished it this afternoon along with around the garden and goat pen.
Then got the purple Sears out and dropped on the plow since it was still set up from plow day. Plowed garden and the grabbed rotospader and tilled her level.
I enjoyed Daniel's, but love my Hamiltucky dirt. :thumbs:

20220515_180045.jpg
20220515_180030.jpg
20220515_182452.jpg
20220515_190129.jpg
20220515_190310.jpg

Mowing Monday was a success, Noel---LOL! The MF12G ran perfect and cut great. Even mowed the ditch out front since it's not muddy. Cut way better than the LT I used for the first two mows. Had to be sure it would work though.

Took a nature break, fuel stop and drink after the front yard was done.
DSCN4375.JPG DSCN4376.JPG

It didn't really need fuel but it's my habit.

Done here, getting ready to blow the clippings and dust off.
DSCN4379.JPG DSCN4377.JPG DSCN4378.JPG

Still had a bit of energy so did some trimming too. I had forgotten to charge the batteries but got most of it done.

DAC

I know this isn't a GT but it just worked out this way. I was going to use the Craftsman with the pull behind tiller but decided to work up some some ground near the garden to replant with new grass. So every thing got worked with the Fordson Dexta and the disc. Did a nice job and it didn't take long. Now it will need to be gone over with the drag.
1652926626324.png

Used the Sotah with loader to haul the GT lift up to the shop. Went back to the pallet building and hung a 16' ladder on the loader and carried it up to where my tower folded on me a few months ago. Either been to wind or to wet to work on it. Moved the hydraulic lines to the control valve so I can get at the brake lock. Now to make an extended finger to reach the lock to set it. Control valve in the way to reach down for it. These tractors are nice but make for little people and small feet.

Back