What did you do with your tractor today?

Yup, you were just playin' Noel! It's got to be 6" before I will plow! That's mainly because the melting isn't as hard on the gravel, not that it's hard to move the vehicles.

DAC

Last edited:
Pulled the last log home from the neighboring farm today. The fence row where I have been cutting firewood the last several years is gone. Torn out and burned. I had already gotten the best wood out. To know that there will be no more easy cut n JR hauling home gave a sad thought.

Finally finished the actuator.

We got a few inches of snow yesterday.
It was 17* out when I headed out this morning. All went well, the actuator never froze up or got stuck.
I did have one instance where I went into a previously un-blown area. The high volume going thru the chute opened the actuator back up without hitting the switch.

I finally made it out to the barn today to get my snow blower tractor. My son had my New Holland at his house, to mow his acre and 1/4, (but no more use for it, since he got the Kubota with the bigger deck and the bucket. The NH, and an old Dynamark 8/36 that has no deck (good "butt buggy"/sprayer tow machine) have been sitting on my trailer behind his house, since about Oct. he needed them outta the garage. I grabbed the trailer, and we went out and played "musical tractors" Started a couple, pushed a couple by hand, played "musical battery" between the ones that started, and ones that were missing batteries.
1) the New Holland on the trailer, and 2) the Ariens GT19 with the mounted blower. The GT19 fired right up, has not been touched since about last March. I put the battery from the barn owner's Cub 1200 in, that had fired right up, into the GT19 after letting the 1200 run and warm up, shut the gas off ,and let it run dry again. The GT19 had no battery in, I probably robbed that one for one of the barn owner's Cubs last spring, for mowing duty.
The NH was last run in Oct., Nick had its battery out on his bench, had it on trickle charge a couple weeks ago, it didn't take the charge. Junk. good for core. Took the battery out of barn owner's Cub 1250, it cranked but slow in the Cub.... something in that Cub started setting its smoke leak out. Wound up being the ground cable, where it bolts to the frame. disconnected the Dakota from the trailer, turned around so my jumper cables would reach the NH, (while NH was still on the trailer) and let the truck run and charge the battery, while I moved other things around. We got the NH to run, and left it behind, in the barn. if worst comes to worst, I can go grab the NH and put the snow blade on the front of it, and the weighted tires I have here in the garage....

I need the GT19 here, because of the "Armageddon" they are calling for here starting tomorrow. 6 to 10". hopefully now that its here, the storm will miss us. It would not bother me. I used that tractor alot 2 and 3 years ago, I didn't need it even once here, last winter. But it was here. and ready.

Nick has had my Deere walk behind in his garage since last winter (he wound up never needed it) my daughter in law has been complaining about it "being in the way", we put it out when they had their garage sale, and no interest then. Nick asked me a couple weeks ago on a 40* day with bare ground, if I wanted to sell it. I told him to hold off. nobody would buy with no snow around.

there has been an identical Deere walk behind on CL for 2+ years solid, in town within 5 miles of me/ they are wanting $600 for theirs, even in July....they have not budged in all that time. mine is nicer, cleaner, and has a brand new genuine Tecumseh carb, spec'd for an older HM80 that is adjustable-- I got tired of the Snow King Surge, so I put that new carb on 2 winters ago, and it worked. No more surge, and more power.
I told him not to let it go for less than $400.

Today, I told him to get pix of it and get it listed somewhere (I only have access to CL since I don't do Fakebook) He does better than I do with that sort of thing, at best I get complaints about being too far away.... at worst get offers for 30% of what I am asking, sight unseen. and they want it delivered for that cutthroat price. that gets old. Well, he now lives 20 miles further out in the middle of nowhere/ but doesn't seem to get that "too far to go" complaint from potential buyers. and somehow gets better money for stuff too. I don't get it.
We talked about price to start with on it, and then by the time we got back from the barn that I store my junk in, (26 miles from here, about 8 from his place) he was saying now that he thought it might work better for him than the Kubota and its bucket. so I told him if he wants to use it, then go ahead and use it, and not worry about putting it for sale. If I wasn't "stuck" being the neighborhood snow guy, I would use that, instead of my 48" on the tractor. I wind up doing about 6 other people's driveways around me, every time I do my own.

when I was on my way to Nick's I wasn't sure if I wanted to bring the JD home, or whether I wanted to go get the tractor. If we get Armageddon, I won't have much time for clearing my own driveway (let alone anyone else's) as I will most likely be called into work to keep the state snowplows thawed and out on the roads, so I want "overkill" here for my own drive, at least. Just in case.

I have an old Binks gas powered compressor out there in the barn, just in case I need it while mowing out there..... starts easy in warm weather, I could barely pull it over today at 35*. '72 vintage 8hp Briggs 200000 series cast iron, with manual wrap around pulley on flywheel, for starter. I needed to air up the tires on snowblower tractor, both left sides were low (back was completely flat) so blower wouldn't come off the ground on left corner....makes it a PITA to load onto trailer/ easier when all aired up. I need to find a bigger diameter wrap around starter pulley, maybe like the ones that have the belt driven starter generator size.
Wow, was that old cast iron Briggs stiff and hard to pull the rope over.... took some doing, to coax it to life but I did.... that old boat anchor has been a lifesaver out there in the sticks.... finally got it going, got about 1/2 a tank of air built up, and it ran outta gas..... I put about 1/2 a tank of gas in it and let it run a while. then shut off the valve at the glass bowl, and let it run out in the carb,
Nothing tractor related has happened around here in at least 6 weeks. I made up for that today.

I've had this"group 56" small car battery laying around for a while. It was new when I got it, was in my buddy's truck when he brought it to me for work. Was way too small for the truck, I put a more suitable one in there before he left with it. After playing musical battery last weekend in the process of getting my snow blower tractor home, (and discovering that a couple of them are shot anyways) I got my blower tractor home and kept seeing that battery sitting there along the wall. I had a pack of those repair ends for battery cables that I hated so much (the ones with 1/4" bolts and the little strap across between them) and put those on the battery, then hooked up the tractor cables to those no, I didn't strip the ends and put the bare strands under the strap, my cables have terminals with 1/4" bolt holes in them, just bolted them to the terminal by 1 of the bolts that hold the strap down. And made a new hold down so it don't bounce around.
550 cold crank amps vs 350 with the gt battery and that was one of the most powerful ones I could find in gt batteries at that. I can't believe how much faster it starts now. Id bet it doesn't even have to crank 1 whole revolution on the starter and it's running. This is a kohler KT19 opposed twin.
Might hit the junkyard and see if they have any more small batteries that might fit my gts because I'm not paying over $100 for a battery for each tractor, which is what everyone wants retail for one that size around here, new.

That colour reminded me of a fella here where I live, that repowered a 33 massey harris with a 13 hp Honda engine, and painted the tractor purple. Thing works good. I’ve seen it at a few tractor shows.

Noel

Attachments

• F9131E29-A458-4EE8-B155-4400BB2312EF.png
    F9131E29-A458-4EE8-B155-4400BB2312EF.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 0DAE248A-179C-42F6-AB2E-DDE24FB46EB6.png
    0DAE248A-179C-42F6-AB2E-DDE24FB46EB6.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • ADD209A9-D6D5-4DEB-8ED6-F28C3DBEDD74.png
    ADD209A9-D6D5-4DEB-8ED6-F28C3DBEDD74.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • FE1ECD2C-2125-42F0-AB83-ABF0547E694B.png
    FE1ECD2C-2125-42F0-AB83-ABF0547E694B.png
    894.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 61704519-0F44-4FDB-8C84-EBCD0FCCE900.png
    61704519-0F44-4FDB-8C84-EBCD0FCCE900.png
    790.1 KB · Views: 9
  • E3B3D9EC-DEC2-476E-BC46-ED8307F37734.png
    E3B3D9EC-DEC2-476E-BC46-ED8307F37734.png
    999.6 KB · Views: 10
That colour reminded me of a fella here where I live, that repowered a 33 massey harris with a 13 hp Honda engine, and painted the tractor purple. Thing works good. I’ve seen it at a few tractor shows.

Noel
Yea, I've watched that guy's video, he used a Honda clone, off brand Predator.

I watched another guy on YouTube, he put a 6.5 Predator in a Farmall

JR plowed snow yesterday, I did early this morning before work. And the snowplow left another foot at the end of drive. Add a couple drifts yet and we are out of room to stack it. Got the old TracTeam out to blow it up on top. Snapped a shearpin on the auger, wonder if a 3 foot of plow packed bank of snow in front of the mailbox had anything to do with that.

Decided to give the FF24 a shot at moving some snow with the back blade......major fail. I had good traction with the ags,wheel weights, and chains, but the front tires suck. They are the factory wide ribbed style, no grip what so ever. The tractor was all over the place. I tried about 3 passes down the drive and parked it, went and grabbed the purple Sears and plowed for almost 2 hours

Back