What are you currently working on??

I decided to take care of some cosmetic issues on the deck tonight in the shop. Dented lip and a gash. Tried heat and vice grips, it moved a little. Hey, I now have a press. Hardest part was getting things to line up. A large impact socket and dent is gone. Grinded the gash and applied JB. I’ll probably us the rest of the JB tomorrow on the welding underneath.
Edit I JB'ed the underside. Hopefully get started with paint tomorrow.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 13
Finished the floors yesterday, one the big room was done, the other room was only 11' wide. Using 48" planks means cuts on both sides with one full in the middle and 2 doorways. Took me about 2 hours longer than expected. Now we gotta buy the toe. strip and get it all put in. Camera really washes out color, planks are actually white washes black not brown

Today's work looks to be figuring out why our toilets and drains are not draining. I'm thinking the septic tank is full, hasn't been pumped in many years.

20200120_185209.jpg
20200120_185217.jpg
20200120_185228.jpg

Looking good. I laid that type of flooring in the kitchen, eating counter, in front of the fireplace and back entrance door. Got some knotty pine at a good price. Brightened up the area well and much easier to clean.

Got my overhead console built, the heater installed, a dome light added and a finish applied. Waiting for rocker stitches to come then will do the wiring and installation and some tidying up. I hope this keeps the windows clear. If not, I'll have to feed the heater from the muffler cover box.20200121_164705.jpg20200121_164719.jpg20200121_164719.jpg

Up here Marty there's a county law that tanks have to be pumped at least every 5 years. I do ours every three years since tree roots found part of the drain field. A co-workers father in law has a ranch out east of here. He used a 1979 Chevy Impala for his septic tank! Some places have no laws at all!

I like that textured finish you put on the heater @_floater_ . What did you use to achieve that? Looks professional. Hope it works as good as it looks!

I have been clearing the office in my shop so there is room for the new vinyl cutter. Sure do run into a lot of stuff that makes you think "why the heck did I keep that?" The upside was that I also found a book of our wedding pictures from 1978 that my wife has been looking for!

DAC

Up here Marty there's a county law that tanks have to be pumped at least every 5 years. I do ours every three years since tree roots found part of the drain field. A co-workers father in law has a ranch out east of here. He used a 1979 Chevy Impala for his septic tank! Some places have no laws at all!

I like that textured finish you put on the heater @_floater_ . What did you use to achieve that? Looks professional. Hope it works as good as it looks!

I have been clearing the office in my shop so there is room for the new vinyl cutter. Sure do run into a lot of stuff that makes you think "why the heck did I keep that?" The upside was that I also found a book of our wedding pictures from 1978 that my wife has been looking for!

DAC
Rubberized rocker guard. I imagined the look I wanted and that's what I came up with.
I smoke a lot of shatter though, so....

DAC

Yea, I usually pump every 5 to 6 years. Mom said this one was pump a year before dad died, that would have been 2011. We moved in Dec 2014 so it's been a while. I was going to do it last summer and just kept slipping my mind.
Pumper open lid and it was full. I have about a 15 feet main from house to tank, it took a 5 gal bucket of water rapidly poured into toilet to open up that line. Tank looks small, maybe 800- 1000 gals, didn't take them long to pump. Thankfully the poop flows free now :D

I have 2 - 750 gal tanks as that is what the sanitarian required. House originally had a dishwasher and 3 bed rooms and that put it over the edge for the second tank. P{ump it about ever 6 or 7 years. Was done 5 years ago when we had everything freeze up. Know of 7 different systems that froze up that winter and countless water lines froze. Log stretcvh of near -20° F temps.

We don't have to worry about freeze here, our freeze line is only 16-18 deep.
I have no idea on this tank, it was here when my parents bought the house in 1971. I do know now it's small, will definitely get pumped more often.

I pump mine every 6 months. 2x250 gallons isnt enough for 5 people in a 4 bedroom house. Darn these old home made septic tanks! But I can pump it every 6 months for 150 dollars for many years before I hit the 25k quoted price to install a new system.

In Iowa the septic system has to be inspected ever time the property changes hands. If the seller does not have the record for what size tanks were installed, they make the buyer pump the tank(s) to determine the size. They do the perc test to the ground for the filter bed if one is installed. Lot of times buyer has to replace everything from the tanks on to be sure it is right. Sure knocks the price of rural houses down. I have all the information on mine with measurements and all so that should help when that time comes.

I have a lamp that's been in my family for over 60 years. By the time I was a teenager I started wondering what was under the paint that was applied to it by hand for as far back as I could remember. I suspected it was bronze or brass because it's quite hefty.
I often thought about stripping it with a chemical stripper or sandblasting it, but was afraid that if it was pretty underneath, I'd damage the finish. A few days ago I saw a DIY soda blaster on YouTube that cost no more than a couple feel of flexible tubing, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I ran out of baking soda pretty quickly because I started with about half a small box, but considering I spent no time making it and haven't tried to fine tune it, I'm really happy with how it worked. Unfortunately, I believe the lamp is cast iron.

In Iowa the septic system has to be inspected ever time the property changes hands. If the seller does not have the record for what size tanks were installed, they make the buyer pump the tank(s) to determine the size. They do the perc test to the ground for the filter bed if one is installed. Lot of times buyer has to replace everything from the tanks on to be sure it is right. Sure knocks the price of rural houses down. I have all the information on mine with measurements and all so that should help when that time comes.

I would of been fine with all that if they knocked 25k off the house when I was buying it! That would of been a sweet deal.

Back