What are you currently working on??

Cars and trucks existed for years without abs, and got the job done just fine. Just like this silly azzed TPMS crap. I

I agree Tpms is a joke. I've put tape over more than one tpms light.

Abs I'm fine with. I like being able to slam my brakes on and stop quickly and perfectly straight.

I watched a YouTube video where they put a professional driver in the same car. Went to 70mph to 0 with abs and 70 to 0mph with the abs disabled. They did this 3 times. The abs enabled car stopped 10 feet sooner. 10 feet could be the difference between life and death.

Who makes a practice of "slamming on the brakes"? Everything in the braking system has to be in perfect condition for abs to work as intended. I won't go into all the variables in that 10' stopping difference. As aformer technical accident investigator there are a bunch.

The right front made no noise. I thought sure there was something else wrong since I had the ABS code but found the wheel bearing had wobbled so far it broke the abs sensor. The new hubs come with the sensors so I would probably change the whole damm thing anyway. Yeah a lot of the older stuff was much more durable than these newer ones, mainly because components were serviceable. "They" have a lot of government requirements and I wouldn't doubt ABS is one of them.

I don't know what TPMS is so I can't judge! Most of my work is from pre-computer vehicles, until getting this 2006 truck.

DAC

Last edited:
Forgot to post the tractor stuff! Got the hand sanding and cleaning done on the MF610 mower deck after work this afternoon. Sprayed a couple coats of duplicolor etch primer on it.. Hopefully will turn it MF red tomorrow.

Also a pic of the junk hubs off my wife's truck. Will be going to scrap soon!

DAC

etch primer on.JPG junk hubs (2).JPG

I had abs on a Jeep that was complete garbage. 1993 If i remember right. But the abs and traction control on my 2011 subaru is great. The only time I had that fail me was on a sheet of ice on a hill where I stopped to play and with all four wheels locked up was sliding down the hill backwards. Even though it didn't have the traction to hold it's self on the hill when i gave it some gas it found traction and pulled the hill. I don't understand at all but I like it.
Don

I watched a YouTube video where they put a professional driver in the same car. Went to 70mph to 0 with abs and 70 to 0mph with the abs disabled. They did this 3 times. The abs enabled car stopped 10 feet sooner. 10 feet could be the difference between life and death.

I can't remember the last time I drove on a Test Track.
Put a little gravel on the road ... in a turn ... & let your Professional Driver have a shot at the ABS Crap.

There's times when I want my wheels locked ... & there's times I DON'T.
I WANT TO DECIDE !

TPMS ... If they would make tires that actually had any sidewall these days ... you could looky-see if your tire was low.
IMO .... they can stick most of this tech up their .................

Last edited:
I had abs on a Jeep that was complete garbage. 1993 If i remember right. But the abs and traction control on my 2011 subaru is great. The only time I had that fail me was on a sheet of ice on a hill where I stopped to play and with all four wheels locked up was sliding down the hill backwards. Even though it didn't have the traction to hold it's self on the hill when i gave it some gas it found traction and pulled the hill. I don't understand at all but I like it.
Don
That was traction control, NOT ABS.

TPMS....Tire Pressure Monitoring System
All of these things exist for two reasons. First: (and most pertinent) is that to the majority of auto buyers, more fancy gadgets means more better...meaning more sales for the dealer. Always has.
Second: many of these gadgets are there because of government safety mandates.

Wether or not we like them matters not.

Got the MF610 deck turned MF red along with the brackets and pulleys.
DSCN2063.JPGDSCN2064.JPGDSCN2066.JPGDSCN2067.JPGDSCN2070.JPGDSCN2071.JPG

Every bug in western South Dakota managed to find it before I got it pulled into the shop!
bugs1.JPGbugs2.JPG

The $10 HF HVLP spray gun seemed to work well. First time with paint through it.
DSCN2068.JPG

I know most of you haven't had good luck with the Majic brand paint, but it fit my budget. Only took about 10 mixed ounces to do the job.
DSCN2072.JPG

DAC

I have had anew on in the box on the shelf for about 5 years now. bought a bunch of tools a guy was selling. Needed another $100 for gas to get some place he had to be.

Today I just organized bolts for assembly, replacing ones in bad condition and test fitted some parts. The longest chore of the day was making new bushings for the rear deck links.

I don't have a lathe or brass stock so improvising was the only solution. Used the drill press as a "vertical lathe" and files for bits---LOL! The brass is a 1" plumbing plug. It already had a 3/8 hole drilled partway through it so I didn't have to fuss with trying to get the hole perfectly centered.
DSCN2073.JPG

Used the coarse rasp until it was close to the size I wanted then finished it up with a finer one.
DSCN2074.JPG

It needed to be cut in half so using a sharpie I put black around the middle. Scribed the sharpie area where the cut was needed then used an Xacto saw with the press running just until it felt like it was about to cut through.
DSCN2076.JPG

Then I took it off the jig it was bolted on and finished the cut in the Xacto miter box.
DSCN2077.JPG

Set up a little press to push the bushings into the link.
DSCN2079.JPG

Finished. The old bushings were steel and completely worn out. Visible above the new bushings.
DSCN2080.JPG

DAC

Friday I removed tire chains and snowblower unit from my SS16, the mower deck is still under a tarp and about a foot of snow. It can wait.

As far as TPMS, I told my wife the idiot light would be on during the winter cuz i'm not springing for those sensors on her winter rims. The first year i put tape over the idiot light :thumbs: Some shops won't mount tires if TPMS sensor faulty, auto won't pass a safety inspection if sensor faulty. Its such BS. A walk around the vehicle will tell you if theres a low tire.

Nice job on the MF deck Doug. Your a better machinist than I.

Noel
Thanks, Noel but that cobble job I did, anyone with a drill press and files could do. Just took a bit more time than having the right equipment.

I didn't get pics today, but the deck is partially assembled and some of the smaller parts painted. Hopefully tomorrow it will be nearly done!

DAC

Back