What are you currently working on??

Started the Bolens 1256 with the garden disk yesterday morning. Fired up OK but the leaking front seal at the hydro leaked to much fluid out and it won't move or lift. Filled the little tank in front of the seat and after a bunch of working the driver pedal back and for it tried but no go. Would not lift anything either. Shut it off and made it a next rainy day project.

Working on my sons Grasshopper engine that pushed the main seal out and was leaking oil. My question is what would cause enough internal presser to push it out? I checked the seal and there is nothing wrong with it. Could the crankcase breather be plugged up causing this. The engine is a Kohler CH 25. Where is the breather located on this engine?

Working on my sons Grasshopper engine that pushed the main seal out and was leaking oil. My question is what would cause enough internal presser to push it out? I checked the seal and there is nothing wrong with it. Could the crankcase breather be plugged up causing this. The engine is a Kohler CH 25. Where is the breather located on this engine?
Here's a service manual for that:

Attachments

• CH740 SM.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
Bent a mower blade on the JD 265. Hit the top of a water main valve cover.
DSCN5112.JPG

Looked at the deck for the 316 and they were nearly new, so swapped the blades out for now.

Finally done with on call at work so I had a couple beers looking at the net and then the internet went out! Decided to clean-up a 7-1/4" Skil Saw that was in that junk I hauled home the other day. Seems to work great and I always was comfortable using them. Trashed the old Black and Decker that was on it's last legs. Back on the net now!

DAC

Doug, I thought you put a battery in the 55 last year. Or was it something else you put in. Is she 12 volt or 6 volt. ?

Noel

We noticed hot water running out quicker than normal. Daughter said her shower got cold pretty quick last night. Son barely got in and out without it getting cold. So this was my project today, scraped 2 gals of sediment out of tank and lower element was corroded and split open.....and basement floor was a mess. Tank was installed August 2018 just over 1 1/2 yrs. Guess I need to flush more often with this hard well water.

20200422_123507.jpg

Doug, I thought you put a battery in the 55 last year. Or was it something else you put in. Is she 12 volt or 6 volt. ?

Noel
You aren't far off Noel, last October I bought a new battery for my wife's Denali. The old one was still working then so I put it in the '55. We had no clue how old the battery was in her truck so just to be safe with winter hitting we put the new one in her ride. Last weekend I tried starting the '55 and just clicks. Boost started it when I got home from work, and trickle charged several hours. Next morning tried to start it to go to work, clicks again. Enough of that then, time for a new one for that truck too! Starting good again in the morning! The last time I bought a truck battery before these two was 2015 for the 72 GMC so I guess They are lasting fairly well.

We had to call the cable company to figure out what the heck is going on with the internet as it was out again today. A guy actually showed up about 7pm! He said everything was good in the house. Found a problem in the box out by the road. He did a temporary fix until one of the day guys can get here tomorrow. I took the next two days off work anyway to put bearings in our washing machine.

Last night I had dumped some badly rusted screwdriver bits into a bowl of vinegar to see if they were useable. They were in the junk I recently brought home also. Just wadded them up in a rag to dry them tonight. They look pretty good! Then since I need some room in a shed to put the snowblowers in, I got my wife's old chairs that we turned into plant stands out of the shed and brought into the shop to glue and clamp. They are getting pretty wobbly being out in the weather. Shot some brads into them in places also. Used almost all my clamps! She should get a couple more years out of them hopefully.

DAC

Attachments

• DSCN2117.JPG
    DSCN2117.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN2118.JPG
    DSCN2118.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN2119.JPG
    DSCN2119.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 9
Still trying to get the air all worked out of the hydro in the Bolens 1256. Bringing the cub 1016 in for some steering work later today.

Last edited:
Got my carb kit in from Brian, rebuild the carb on my Briggs 18twin I/C. It fired up pretty quick, but has an unusual hunting. It's not constant, runs decent for 10-15 secs, then starts missing. Then back to running decent then missing/dying again. I also have to run at about 1/4 choke. Pulled carb again and cleaned late last night. Hope I found something in there. If not I have no idea.

I have a couple of the L head Briggs that like to hunt when not under a load. Put a load on them and they run fine.

Back