What are you currently working on??

Don't look like the weld had any penetration! Weld it back up and get back to work! Run a bead up the inside too.

DAC
My thoughts exactly! I'd weld it for him but it's not a short drive down there.

Gonna add a hole to the 2" receiver and use it to get me back up. have one more load of fine graver coming today.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 7
Getting mowers ready to go, or trying. Bought a JD JA65 at the auction Sunday. Changed oil, filled with gas it it was ready for grass. Got my 1512 CC in, hanged the oil & filter, greased and checked over good. Mowed with it for about 20 min. Fighting with Carolyn's CC1018. Couple years ago the fuel pump on the motor quit. Weekend fix was to put an external vacuum fuel pump on. Worked good till this spring when it started leaking. Made a new solid cover gasket and stopped that leak but the back gasket next to the motor was leaking also. Found a good used one, cut the one valve tab off and put it together. Now it won't run without the choke partially one. Replacement gasket was exactly like the one that failed so have no idea what is going on. Tried to mow with it with the choke part way on and the deck clutch will not stay on. Starts out OK but go about 6' and it kicks out. Back in the shop and quit for the day. Will look at it tomorrow and see what is going on.

Heavy Hitch modification didn't work, 1/2" too wide. Trying my hand at welding. If this dosn't work it will be grinded and cleaned up to be sent off to a more competent welder.

Attachments

• 3 gig.jpg
    3 gig.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 4 weld.jpg
    4 weld.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 5 weld.jpg
    5 weld.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 13
I have more blade work to do. If this doesn't hold up, I'll grind it back down and try again. It is easier for me to remove welds than apply them. I also think I need to add a 25A circuit with a plug on the Shop Outer wall for the welder.

I run a 30A breaker on my old Lincoln stick welder. If that don't hold, I would turn the heat up to penetrate the metal more. Just my observation but I am not a pro welder.

Can someone explain what (Min - Max) and (1 - 2) do. It seems to work better on Min, and trips breakers on Max.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 11
After watching my video I think I figured the switches out. (Min - Max) sets the Amps to either 90A or 160A, this explains the tripped breakers. I think (1 - 2) sets the voltage to 22V or 18.3, may need the meter to find out which is which.

Great job. That’s a great way to learn it. I found the wire speed is the one to get right. Then it works good. My welder much smaller in amps than yours. Clean clean metal is number one, to make a good weld. So I found out. I was better with the stick welder than a mig for years. But now I’m about even. But not great at either. Torch welding is what I can do best. Acetylene and oxygen. Bronze and steel rod.

Noel

After watching my video I think I figured the switches out. (Min - Max) sets the Amps to either 90A or 160A, this explains the tripped breakers. I think (1 - 2) sets the voltage to 22V or 18.3, may need the meter to find out which is which.

For a home welder like you and me, Larry cosmetics isn't the most important part of home repairs. We just want a weld that will hold stuff together! I'm a better grinder than a welder too but it seems stuff I weld does stick together.

I think you probably got it pretty well! Your arc and sound was steady. You got me really jealous of being able to get a belly dump in there to rebuild your driveway! Ours desperately needs a full rebuild too, like you are doing. Instead I've been bringing in a couple tons now and then and that covers maybe a 10'x10' area---LOL!

Thanks for the video!

DAC

This is the manual. Son got it off of Ebay a couple years ago. Switches change the Current - Voltage and wire feed, but the manual dosn't say which is which.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 7
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 6
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 5
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 5
Don't let your results with that welder sour you on welding. If at some time you get the opportunity to use a real welder you will find a totally different animal. The only good small relatively cheep 110 wire welders I have seen were a Lincoln and a Century which I believe was made by Lincoln. Not knowing exactly what wire type and size you are running it is hard to help. For strength to make a huge difference carry your weld all the way around the end of the plate/seam. Working in ship yards I was very often welding things on like what we called dogs and padeyes. Mostly temporary and would be broken off when no longer needed. Doing this you learn to make a weld to fulfill a specific function then be easily broken off when done. Just wrapping the ends on a piece would hold much more than a weld all the way down one side.
Don

Last edited:
Back