What are you currently working on??

Haven't reported on this for a whole. I have finished all the components for the hitch. If and when I can make the arms for the three point and get a top link. For now I am using a sleeve hitch. I set the left side up on 6" blocks and hung the plow. Made the adjustments to make the plow square/plum to the world. hopefully it will perform well. I will probably fill the tires and install some kind of wheel weights.
Now all we need is a plow day.

Attachments

• 20210418_170246.jpg
    20210418_170246.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210418_170631.jpg
    20210418_170631.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210418_170638.jpg
    20210418_170638.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210418_170705.jpg
    20210418_170705.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210418_170724.jpg
    20210418_170724.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210418_170735.jpg
    20210418_170735.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 10
Had a friend give me a garden cart. Combined that with two metal lawn chairs I've had forever.
It sits a little high but as long as I don't go sideways across a steep hill it will be okay.
Great granddaughter has already claimed it.

Attachments

• Resized_20210417_170050.jpeg
    Resized_20210417_170050.jpeg
    440.5 KB · Views: 5
today was GT carnage day. I went out to the barn to get everything running that I could (fairly) easily and start mowing for 1st time this year.
I had taken all the batteries out, brought them home and charged/tested them, had 4 good and 3 duds.... during this past week I went to Interstate and swapped the duds for good ones. I put batteries in 4, and all started right up after winter...... 2 of John's (barn/property owner) and 2 of mine....
I did have a bit of an issue w/ my Cub 129.... the fuel filter was clogged solid, someone before it was mine, put one of those marine, see thru, screw apart fuel filters on it and it was plugged solid. So I fired up the (gas) compressor I have out there, wrap around rope start and all, blew out that fuel filter and a couple air filters, and started mowing......
1st up, was my New Holland S14 that has the M12 Kohler on it, took it out and it seemed way down on power, bogged way down like it has never done before... this was the machine my son borrowed the last year and 1/2, this was the 1st time since before then I tried to use it.....
the bog out was easy, the gov link popped out of the carb.... just glad it didn't swing wide open.... popped that back in (needs a new clip which I have plenty of) and ran like it always did after that. BUUUT..... I got into a rough patch where the farmer next door had been with his tractor, "buckboard ride" and the front hanger popped off for the deck, front of deck was riding on the scalp roller.........
OK, pop that back in, swing down the lock tabs (my kid had had the deck off last year and didn't set the lock tabs) Nother easy fix..... BUT then I discovered the big issue with this machine. The frame around the engine was soaked with oil, the scalp roller and front of deck, and it had run forward out the front of frame.... not smoking, out the exhaust or the breather, but went from "full" to "add" in an hour..... I topped it off again and finished that section, then parked it.

Next up was one of John's (he has 2) Cub 1200s..... I mowed with that for a while, that thing always has been a bit rattley ever since I put that engine back in after the rebuild with solid mounts instead of replacing mounts with genuine Cub rubber mounts.... 4-5 years ago.
After mowing with that one a while, it faltered like it was getting low on gas and I was farthest from the Dakota with gas can in back... so I cut the PTO off, made a U turn and put it in 3rd hoping to have to walk as little as possible up the lane to get the gas can....
I made it back to the truck without another cough out of that 1200, and noticed that while it was getting low, it wasn't that close to out of gas.... I set my hand on the air cleaner lid and the whole engine moved.....The cradle is tight, the engine is loose on the cradle.... I dunno if its just loose or if it lost all its bolts.... I'm thinking the 2nd thing. I wasn't wanting to sell that one but no sooner did I get that engine back in and running, John begged and pleaded with me to sell him one of mine so he has a "back up". I didn't want to, but I figure since he has Cubs, I'd let that one go as decks and such would interchange between them..... shortly later he was complaining about an oil leak..... as it turns out, the base plate was cracked, I had to find another about 3 years ago.

I finished what I had wanted to today, on machine #3, John's Cub 1250 hydro.

John is in a "retirement village" for the last couple years, but before then he was "high gear thru shin high grass" type of machine operator. and couldnt understand why he was always burning belts and other issues..... My wife and I did this place all last summer and never burnt out a single belt.... it got mowed more often than in past years too..... My wife and I would re mow when need be, 2nd trip over ground we just mowed, John wouldn't....... since he has been in the "retirement village" there has not had to be near as much re-mowing......
so the engine has to come out of both my New Holland and his "1200 #2".... grrrrr........ I have his "1200 #1" that he has owned I believe since new (in the late 70s) that I have to put a clutch into, here at my house. I knew John from a past job in the 90s and early 2000s and he has let me store some of my "junk" out at his place for years......

Neighbors Cub Cadet RZT50 is on the agenda. Can not get it through to them to check/top-off oil. Drained about 3/4 qt. from 2.2 qt. system. It'll blow one of these days!

Had to move a tank from my new Honda clone to my bike clone. Not sure why but the tank seam split. Now I need another tank for my new clone.

Tanks range from 30 to 50 dollars! It's ridiculous a new motor is 119 bucks base or 199 for a hot clone....about ready to buy a whole clone.

Last edited:
Was thinking about flipping the calico trailer over and dragging over the new drive way to level and spread it more. I left a message with the neighbors sons wife to see if he would bring his skid steer over and help out with the last bit of leveling.... We'll see.

Got the CC RZT50 over. This is all the oil after draining over night.
DSCN5591.JPG

Far cry from the 2+ quarts that's supposed to be in there.

Had to bend the front of the deck back out and weld the wheel bracket back on.
DSCN5592.JPG

This thing is on it's last legs. Put 30W oil in it this time as they just will not check the oil and multi-grade goes away too fast. Some folks need to hire their mowing done!

My youngest son and I planted a row of corn, half runners and October beans along with a few hills of squash and cucumbers. I’ll do my tomatoes, peppers and lettuce tomorrow.

We also semi cleaned out my building. It needs to be completely emptied, cleaned and put back right.

Finished installing the new walk in door to the machine shed this morning. All sealed up and ready for paint. Watched the race this afternoon while the wind blew around 20 mph outside.

I didn’t do much today, visited my son and family, visited my sister in the hospital, visited my daughter and her man, she’s gunna have a baby in December and unloaded wood out of the trailer so I can split it soon, with the trailer empty, I’m going to get two loads of manure to put on the gardens tomorrow. Daughters boyfriend has the manure. He has a New Holland compact tractor with loader, so I’ll get him to make a few piles on the garden and then I’ll level it out with the Ferguson and rear blade. With in the next week or so, I’ll put the tiller on the LGT165 Ford and dig the gardens and go out to daughters place and do theirs. There now. Got all that out.

Noel

My wife and I did some yardwork we haven't been able to do for several years today. Since the weather has been much drier than normal late winter, early spring, the ditches out front of our property don't have water flowing through them. We cleaned the culverts of several years of piled up leaves and areas in the ditch too. Yup, it required a tractor! MF8E got the yard cart pulling duties. We mulched as much of the dry stuff as we could, raked up branches and hauled stuff to a future burn pile. Hopefully I will be able to get a permit to burn when the time comes. There were a few branches down in the front yard that required the Poulan chain saw. The saw fired right up like it had been running yesterday, but it was actually last summer.

The last hour we had to rush a bit as light rain started falling. Got to raining fairly hard so I just pulled the tool loaded yard cart in the shop. We're pretty tired so I'll unload the cart and put it back outside tomorrow after work.

DAC

IMG_0424.JPG IMG_0425.JPG IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG IMG_0428.JPG IMG_0429.JPG

Mowed. Tried out my new 99 dollar china push mower (worked perfect for all I need it for). Cleaned the chicken coop and all the rabbit pens out. Hauled and dumped all the manure and old hay down over the bank at my dad's.

We got a lot accomplished! Felt good! Outside chores are all caught up. Hoping to get the plants in the garden soon. We are still getting freeze warnings..

I planted some green & yellow beans and some okra yesterday. Tilled more area for tomatoes today & set up tomato & bell pepper cages this morning.

Mowed the yard this morning before tonight's rain forecast.

Granddaughters RAM had not been run since summer of 2019. Last year she took over Bolens 775. Pulled the RAM into the shop to get it started, change oil, etc. Right out of the gate, no fire. Coil and magnets were clean so moved to the points. Slide the point file between them a few times and had fire. Dropped the carb bowl just to check - clean so put it back on. It has always flooded real easy and of course I flooded it. Drained the carb bowl, dried the plug good, pulled it over a good spin. Plug back in a opened the gas first pull it fired and took off. Warmed it up good, then changed the oil, drove it back to the machine shed and put the Brinley cultivator on. Plan to use it as the garden tractor this year. Smaller, lighter and lot less compaction. On to the next one.

Back