What are you currently working on??

I did upgrade the wire to "Hobart 0.030 Gasless flux core wire" when I got the welder. It came with a no-name brand wire. I also bought an auto darkening helmet as the welder came with something that you just held in front of your face.

I had a real similar welder to that one to start off with, it came out branded "Astro" and were one of the 1st marketed to hobbyist and homeowners, I remember them being advertised in magazines like popular mechanics for $129.95. mine was branded "MAC" and cost me a whole lot more. I welded what I could with it for a while, wound up burning out the transformer.
I then moved onto a Century brand machine, just as the 110v lincoln's and millers were coming out. I burnt that one out faster than I did the old Astro.
I decided that I was done with 110v MIG welders and bought my Millermatic 185 back around '97-98.
I have never had a minute's issue with it, I only wish that I would have bought this one 1st. I paid less for it brand new, than I paid for the 1st 2, used
The MAC came off the tool truck as a "repo" supposedly I paid what the original guy still owes at the time. Didn't realize then that it was the machine it was or I'd have passed.
The century was a garage sale find, a Grandpa bought it for his 2 grandkids that took a little welding in high school. Supposedly the kids used it once or twice and then it sat. It looked like the description, at the time.
Both of these burnt up either building, or rebuilding, (1 of each) trailers
Now a days I'd consider a lincoln or hobart or a miller 110v for smaller jobs.

I just bought the Hobart 210mvp. 110 and 220. It welds up to 3/8" and is handy as all get out with the dual voltage. It can weld better than I can.

Paid 900 for it and my hope is to have it for many many years. I needed a few things welded up for a bike project and the local shop quoted me 350 Slug and patch the frame rail, and another 50 to weld up a couple brackets. A couple jobs like that and I've paid for the welder.

I actually had another version of this same welder and I sold it in 2016 to pay off down my debt.

All of the 110 volt innershield welders have a very limited duty cycle. Some have overheat protection My experience most don,t The machine you have is output AC. All of the innershield wire I have seen was rated for DCEN or Direct Current Electrode Negative I have a Harbor freight 90amp I bought in a discount store for 17$ about 6 years ago. I also have a Campbell Hausfeld that is about the same quality except it is DC. That one was given to me as junk 3 years ago. I have successfully used both for many small projects. They have worked for me plugged into 20 amp household breakers on the end of 50' extension cords. When ever I have any real work to do I bring out a real welder. My Onan 200amp DC motor generator is the easiest The Lincoln 300 amp motor generator is the one I posted on this site the carburetor questions. It is a very thirsty machine. My Lincoln inverter welder is fantastic but that requires 220volts and so is not as convenient. Every thing except the first two is a stick welder.
Don

First mower on the work table this spring. PTO clutch will not stay engaged and motor won't stay running without the choke 1/2 way out. Bad PTO switch, power goes in but not back out. Toggle switch will take care of that. Fuel pump kit will be here tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully that will take care of the running issue. Will give the carb a quick cleaning just in case. Sure easier to work on them when they are up waist high and no obstructions around it.

20210415_174632.jpg 20210415_174611.jpg 20210415_174704.jpg

Your weld job held up Larry! Hope that gives you enough confidence to keep doing little repairs like that!

I can't believe how cheap those two loads were! Up here just one would be way over what you paid for two! I should have moved south a million years ago and get away from this tourist based economy!

DAC

Your weld job held up Larry! Hope that gives you enough confidence to keep doing little repairs like that!

I can't believe how cheap those two loads were! Up here just one would be way over what you paid for two! I should have moved south a million years ago and get away from this tourist based economy!

DAC
Haven't checked the weld job yet. Previous video was when it broke. Crushed rock plant is 1/2 mile away. 3rd load is comming from Mexia and will be $550 for one load of fine gravel.

Got a reply from a friend.

Gene
He has volunteered to come with a couple of his welders (just in case) and help with your set up. He's a retired welder. Can you afford a tank of gas or case of beer? Price includes welding blade.

The ecm for that "Heep" came in today, and the seal for the MF1450 hydro came in also. Looks like I have plenty do do this weekend. I took 8 hours overtime on Sunday so I may not get both done. Too dang tired to do anything substantial tonight.

DAC

20210417_143651.jpg

Been putting the finishing touches on this.

Real tires on it now instead of those 2 ply balloons.

Still a couple loose ends to tie up. The cover needs modified for the belt drive and I need to weld a 3/4" couple to the end the header to mount a muffler. It's way too loud to ride around the yard.

Final results with the new tires is 61 mph at 7500 rpm. It was too wobbly with the factory junk..

It'll wheelie on demand down low and pulls hard the whole way through. I took it down to the old refuse pile left over from a coal mine a 100 years ago and it climbed the sides with no issue. If you ride normal it cruises like easy but open it up and you know you've done something.

I wish I had access to a dyno. Similar builds I've seen charts on where 18hp without any head work. Not bad for a 99 dollar 6.5hp honda clone.

It's certainly a machine now and a lot of fun!

Last edited:
Welded up a chain box to clamp to the I-Match on my JD 2025R this morning, 3" square tubing I had on hand: HPIM3202.JPG

It is now painted green & ready to install when I get a couple "U" bolts.

Built and hung a new set of shed doors for a neighbor. The frame wasn’t square so that created a couple of challenges.

Attachments

• C189FBA5-22BE-43B7-AEDB-2C7C07E4F8EA.jpeg
    C189FBA5-22BE-43B7-AEDB-2C7C07E4F8EA.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 4
  • FA379633-8DF6-4A04-AFD8-12BAC499A3A8.jpeg
    FA379633-8DF6-4A04-AFD8-12BAC499A3A8.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 4
My portable garage is now a seasonal greenhouse. Started Friday,,covered it this afternoon. Still requires some windows in the doors but the brunt of the work is doneD46992D8-55FA-475A-AA78-8475B38ED4A7.jpeg

Tried using the blade on the drive today. It is too packed in now after the rain, weld seams to hold for now. Still had walnut to fist size rocks that made driving bumpy. I got BOH and the trailer out and raked and loaded the walnut to fist size rocks. Had an observer, and SpaceX decided to rumble. Drive is much smoother now. Tomorrow I'll dump the calico trailer and do the same to the parking area. Should I dump the trailer in a keep pile, or take it out to the regular rock pile?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 7
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 6
I'd make that a separate pile in case soft spots show up. You'll have some areas where you turn into the parking that may need that.

Removed the rear out of my uncles WH GT14. He had one axle seal leaking and the outer axle bearing was shot. Split the rear and found two more bearings on their way to destruction. So hopefully if everything arrives in time, next weekend it will have new bearings and seals.

Tried using the blade on the drive today. It is too packed in now after the rain, weld seams to hold for now. Still had walnut to fist size rocks that made driving bumpy. I got BOH and the trailer out and raked and loaded the walnut to fist size rocks. Had an observer, and SpaceX decided to rumble. Drive is much smoother now. Tomorrow I'll dump the calico trailer and do the same to the parking area. Should I dump the trailer in a keep pile, or take it out to the regular rock pile?
Definitely in a keep pile. You already have it segregated by size.

Back