What are you currently working on??

Here's a good reason why shipping costs are so high and slow. I ordered a drivers side wing window lever for the '55 GMC from a place near Salt Lake City, UT. They shipped it 5-29. It's 680 miles to here. Instead of coming here it went 350 miles past, to Sioux Falls, SD. That wasn't far enough out of the way. Then it got shipped to West Fargo, ND, another 250 miles north of Sioux Falls. Now get this-it got shipped from West Fargo back to Sioux Falls now, it's current destination!

So far that part has traveled 1,530 miles and it only had to go 680! IF it comes straight here from Sioux Falls, add another 350 miles, making it just under 1900 miles---LOL! Shipping by USPS.

DAC

Here's a good reason why shipping costs are so high and slow. I ordered a drivers side wing window lever for the '55 GMC from a place near Salt Lake City, UT. They shipped it 5-29. It's 680 miles to here. Instead of coming here it went 350 miles past, to Sioux Falls, SD. That wasn't far enough out of the way. Then it got shipped to West Fargo, ND, another 250 miles north of Sioux Falls. Now get this-it got shipped from West Fargo back to Sioux Falls now, it's current destination!

So far that part has traveled 1,530 miles and it only had to go 680! IF it comes straight here from Sioux Falls, add another 350 miles, making it just under 1900 miles---LOL! Shipping by USPS.

DAC

I recently order pet food from Chewy.com. Shipped the next day from Baltimore MD, 285 miles away. Went 130 miles to a location in Eastern Pa. From there it went to Columbus OH roughly 500 miles right past my house on I-70. Doubled back to me the next day. 120 miles on I-70 from Columbus.
All with free shipping. Not sure how they do it and not lose their shirts.

jhn9840
John

Last edited:
I bought some .22 shells on sale from a company in central Iowa. Ordered Sunday, shipped Monday; went South east to Ottumwa, Ia.Left there and went to Omaha,NE. 1/2 hr later on the truck out for delivers 90 miles back east but I had the shells Tuesday around noon. 4 - 100 round boxes was $9 shipping but they were heavy.

Brought this tiller back up to work on:
DSCN5326.JPG DSCN5327.JPG

It would not roll in neutral. And I have a new HF engine for it. Tore it down and found the chain that drives the wheels broken and binding things. New chain and gasket ordered. Should be a good tiller when I get it all back together. Tines look great on it.

I have the same one branded as a crapsman. Had a 6hp Tec on it and had no filter or housing on it, ran but smoked. And had no power. I found a brand new but 40 year old 8hp Tec and put it on there.

Be never had a restoration job that was "quick".

And no tractor work for at least a couple more days. Out with the camper this weekend, raccoon lake in Indiana. 1st time out with the camper this year. Definitely got the oldest camper here, more tents than I'd have expected though. Lots of expensive new ones out here, almost no pop ups, though the campground is pretty full. (Mine is a pop up)
My son is here with his new unit, with 3 other buddies and their campers in a different loop of the campground. All of them have showers in their units, but I got a spot right next to the shower house. As long as the campground we go to has a shower house, I don't care about having a more "basic" unit since we tend to spend so little time inside of it when we are out, anyway. And I don't care to mess with grey water and black water tanks.

It did rain last night, and I dunno if that's why, but the 2 campsites across from me that had about 6 tents on the 2 sites, are now empty. That's good. They were a group of 24/7 party-ers. Made it hard to fall asleep the last 2 nights. Generator and all, pretty much round the clock, and it was a loud one. I could hear their generator thru the trees and across the ravine, that are between my site and where the kid is, when we have been over there. The party-ers we're on "my side" of the ravine and the trees. They were here and going strong when we tried to go to bed about midnight. So far we have been here 2 nights and haven't cooked or lit a fire yet, as we have been over by the kid's site using their fire and eating there too. And the party-ers we're still making more noise and could be heard over the 10 of us at the kid's site.

Last edited:
Iowa does not allow that nonsense in their state/county camp grounds. If the generators are loud they are shunt down. If they could be heard 4 camp sites away it was to loud. Also 10 pm was quit, or leave. We felt the campers did not come to the campground to hear party-ers or generators all night.

Wind took a dead Poplar down across the road last night. Bottom was entangled with dead wild vines I sprayed a couple months ago. Had to cut it free first. Bolens H16XL with front blade did the job with no issues. Blade never comes off that tractor. Just to handy to be able to jump on fire it up and push what needs pushing.

I didn't get on last night as it was time to trap feral cats. On the 4th I had caught a mother cat but there were still 4 (I thought) kittens to get. They are just old enough to run fast! They all live under the abandon trailer house to the east. Monday we caught one kitten and took those two to the shelter plus one more full grown one I never saw before. The other kittens where no where to be seen until I got home from work yesterday. I saw 3 of them and thought I better make an attempt to get them. Figured they would be really hungry by then and they were. It didn't take too long, went and checked the trap and sure enough 3 of them at once! There was a problem though---there were two dark ones and one orange one. There should have been 2 orange ones! There was an extra dark one that I didn't realize was over there. I didn't want to take them out of the trap so I went back over there with a can of food. That cat food stink carries fast and in a couple minutes he was looking out of a hole in the trailer house siding. When he saw where that can of food was he made a run straight for it. I let him eat a little then grabbed him by the back of the neck like mother cats do.

DSCN3376.JPG DSCN3377.JPG

I was just trying to prevent a cat population explosion. Got those 4 little critters to the shelter when they opened at 11 am. They stunk up the office in my shop, but got it aired out pretty good this afternoon. I like having a few outside mousers around but this could have gotten out of hand.

No tractor work yesterday and today. I had to go in to work for a couple hours this morning, Took the cats to the shelter, went ahead and ran errands and had lunch in town. A co-worker organized a "benefit" garage sale for a woman with 4 kids who recently lost her husband. We went there and bought a couple of things but also just gave a cash donation. Time to go home and clean up the shop, wash that trap and air things out!

DAC

Tiller is ready for it's new engine. That has a 3 hour break-in time. That's about a tank of gas, so I'll be playing with doing that.

Finished putting the tin on the Briggs engine this morning. Ready to set in the tractor in the morning. Had one bolt for the tin left over plus a piece that says H O T on it. Don't think it went to this engine to start with as only one place it will fit and it already has a heat shi9eld in place. Save it for the next one. Probably came off the old KT17 that went to the scrap pile. Be good to get that 782 back running again.

Finished putting the tin on the Briggs engine this morning. Ready to set in the tractor in the morning. Had one bolt for the tin left over plus a piece that says H O T on it. Don't think it went to this engine to start with as only one place it will fit and it already has a heat shi9eld in place. Save it for the next one. Probably came off the old KT17 that went to the scrap pile. Be good to get that 782 back running again.
Good job Roger, sure would like to see what you are working on!

DAC

I'll grab some photos this morning before I get back at it again. After a rebuild It better run good or I did a lot of work and expense for nothing. All the replacement parts were B&S as were the gaskets and seals.
20210718_073301.jpg 20210718_073314.jpg 20210718_074852.jpg 20210718_073323.jpg
20210718_092900_HDR.jpg 20210718_092911.jpg 20210718_092926.jpg
20210718_102122.jpg Engine fully assembled on the work bench, both sides. Used the one 10' ramp to slide it down to the dolly. Moved it out under the hoist, picked it up and rolled the precipitant under the engine. Lowered it in place, hooked everything up and the last photo it is sitting there running. 3 squirts of gas from a small oil can into the carb and it fired first turn. Sounds real good and smooth after a minor carb adjustment. Race is in rain delay so put the nose and hood on. Will get the side panels on and get it washed it up good in the next day to two. Early VA appointment in the morning and Tuesday morning early will be in the garden. Real happy to have this old girl back up and running again. This old L head Briggs will be running when all the KT17 have been buried in the scrap bins.

Last edited:
I'll grab some photos this morning before I get back at it again. After a rebuild It better run good or I did a lot of work and expense for nothing. All the replacement parts were B&S as were the gaskets and seals.
View attachment 39394 View attachment 39395 View attachment 39397 View attachment 39396
View attachment 39398 View attachment 39399 View attachment 39400
View attachment 39401 Engine fully assembled on the work bench, both sides. Used the one 10' ramp to slide it down to the dolly. Moved it out under the hoist, picked it up and rolled the precipitant under the engine. Lowered it in place, hooked everything up and the last photo it is sitting there running. 3 squirts of gas from a small oil can into the carb and it fired first turn. Sounds real good and smooth after a minor carb adjustment. Race is in rain delay so put the nose and hood on. Will get the side panels on and get it washed it up good in the next day to two. Early VA appointment in the morning and Tuesday morning early will be in the garden. Real happy to have this old girl back up and running again. This old L head Briggs will be running when all the KT17 have been buried in the scrap bins.
Looks good from here, Roger! Glad it's running as it should. Thanks for the pictures. I was working on the MF1450 during the race after it went green again, but that last 35-40 laps I just had to stop and watch! Excellent racing, and it's always cool to see an "underdog" win!

DAC

That was a good race. Lot of close hard racing but they kept it clean for the most part. Couple of bumpers swapped paint but don't think it was intentional for the most part. Kid of upset the points chase again with Alminrola pulling out the win. Not sure how much longer he could have held off Bell though. Lap traffic was playing a factor already. Hendrick Chevrolet's have some more work to do as they did not run the best yesterdays and when all 4 are down is not good.

Will get the side panels on later this evening or tomorrow and get the whole thing washed up again. Then might clean the parts deck up and get it painted better and put under it. It is the deck that came with the tractor. It runs and mows OK, just needs cleaned up good.

Back