What are you currently working on??

My friend Bill had this in his garage. Said the last time he used it was about the time they started putting ethanol in gas. We dug it out and I brought it home to get running again. Poor thing has mud-dauber nests all over it. Luckily (maybe) it had non-ethanol gas in it last. Got it home, pulled the bowl off and found this:
Resized_20220831_133024.jpeg Resized_20220831_133631.jpeg

Here's the machine:
DSCN0324.JPG DSCN0325.JPG DSCN0326.JPG DSCN0327.JPG

Yeah, it's a Tecumseh HS40 engine. I cleaned the bowl and float, Took some doing to get that tar to loosen up. Put it back together and it runs on carb cleaner right now. I'll try starting again in a bit since it has set overnight. If that carb has the tar up in it, may never get it cleaned out.

My friend Bill had this in his garage. Said the last time he used it was about the time they started putting ethanol in gas. We dug it out and I brought it home to get running again. Poor thing has mud-dauber nests all over it. Luckily (maybe) it had non-ethanol gas in it last. Got it home, pulled the bowl off and found this:
View attachment 58047 View attachment 58048

Here's the machine:
View attachment 58043 View attachment 58044 View attachment 58045 View attachment 58046

Yeah, it's a Tecumseh HS40 engine. I cleaned the bowl and float, Took some doing to get that tar to loosen up. Put it back together and it runs on carb cleaner right now. I'll try starting again in a bit since it has set overnight. If that carb has the tar up in it, may never get it cleaned out.
Usually on those TEC carbs, to get all the passages and orifices clean you have to remove the welch plugs. That one will almost surely require that! Hope not though.

Usually on those TEC carbs, to get all the passages and orifices clean you have to remove the welch plugs. That one will almost surely require that! Hope not though.
That is something I won't even try, Daniel. #1, I did not see a carb kit in the parts listing. #2, these eyes aren't good for those types of operations. Got a new carb on the way.

I have a very similar chipper here with an HS50. came to me without a carb. Several years ago i bought a pressure washer with an overhead valve Briggs. Had a hole in the block. So while I was walking around thinking about the chipper I spotted the blown engine with what looked like an appropriately sized carb. The flange on the carb matched up just fine but there was something in the way of it bolting down tight I don't remember what. I made bought an inch thick aluminum spacer from a Subaru alternator bracket and bolted it up. Did a little creative linkage design and it worked ok. A little more tinkering to fix the linkage so it wouldn't vibrate apart and now it is great.
So now I have an HS50 running on a Briggs EPA automatic choke carb. So far it has started first pull every time.
Don-

I run my 2008 LA 165 year-round blowing snow and cutting grass. I replaced the steering sector once before and it finally gave way again. I re-welded the teeth up on the original one and was going to reuse but I saved Everything off of the GT 235 I took the transaxle out of out of. It was a more expensive machine in its day and the steering was a lot heavier. I cut a section of the steering gear out and notched out the one I took off today and welded them together. Factory one is quarter inch this one is three-quarter inch, so it’s literally three times more contact and fits in really snug. The steering gear has a little wear but it’s only on that quarter inch section so now I can just carry-on with the old one still has lots of wear left.

Attachments

• 6A1EA302-20BE-4205-84B4-EA41652DE37A.jpeg
    6A1EA302-20BE-4205-84B4-EA41652DE37A.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 8
  • A6450C8B-CD1D-453B-AB86-AB35AA491026.jpeg
    A6450C8B-CD1D-453B-AB86-AB35AA491026.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 442C4C11-E5AA-4E11-BEBB-64453586F89F.jpeg
    442C4C11-E5AA-4E11-BEBB-64453586F89F.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 8ADDB6CB-256A-4880-AEE0-2F16E741CD36.jpeg
    8ADDB6CB-256A-4880-AEE0-2F16E741CD36.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 8
I run my 2008 LA 165 year-round blowing snow and cutting grass. I replaced the steering sector once before and it finally gave way again. I re-welded the teeth up on the original one and was going to reuse but I saved Everything off of the GT 235 I took the transaxle out of out of. It was a more expensive machine in its day and the steering was a lot heavier. I cut a section of the steering gear out and notched out the one I took off today and welded them together. Factory one is quarter inch this one is three-quarter inch, so it’s literally three times more contact and fits in really snug. The steering gear has a little wear but it’s only on that quarter inch section so now I can just carry-on with the old one still has lots of wear left.
Nice job Jason

I mowed, ( front yard didn't need it that bad, side yard and backyard did.) But it's supposed to monsoon the next 2 days so I figured I'd better.
I then got the power rake out, I use it infrequently enough that about every other time I gotta dunk the carburetor to get it to run. I pulled it 2 days ago, today I reassembled it and reinstalled it, ran it thru the whole yard and went longways then crossways. It has an HS50 Tecumseh on it that dates back to 1985 but I think is much newer than the machine itself.
It was a curb find at the back of the neighborhood about 6-7 years ago/ so I couldn't say "no" to it. I really don't think that Hs50 has many hours on it at all. Sticker residue says it originally belonged to the local rental yard. I have no idea how many years it sat in that neighbors shed.

There were a few spots I was churning up dirt, but I didn't get nearly as much thatch up as I usually do, this time. I usually get more dirt up than I did this time, not that that's what I try to do. 2x ago, I tried playing with the adjustment for how deep it digs, and it was more like a tiller than the power rake that it is supposed to be. So I restored the settings to how I got it. And haven't touched those settings since.

I then got the Billy goat (lawn vac) out early/ as in before leaf harvest season, to pick up what the power rake drug up. Made no sense to power rake and leave the thatch there to go back into the lawn where it came from.....
I am disappointed as I was just outside a few minutes ago, as I had forgotten my phone in the truck (and it needs charging) and as I went to get it I was noticing how much thatch remains. I do an know I made a He11 of a dent in it though.
On the way to take my wife to work this morning she wanted to check out a garage/moving sale then hit the farmers market on the way to work. This is the first time this year of us hitting the farmers market, I was blown away at prices this year. The vendors selling prepared food, yikes. She wanted some sweet corn but not at $4 for a 1/2 dozen. We left empty handed. The guy selling butterfly pork chop sandwiches, he's dang near double last year/ I wanted one but wasn't paying $10 for one. Vendors selling baked goods, weren't any more reasonable. $8 for a cinnamon roll? Again "no way".
At the sale I got another flymo mower. This makes 2 of them I have now.
Seller had inherited the property, and this was left behind by the PO/, seller knew nothing about it. For $5, that came home. I saw a few other things I wanted, but in giving the wife some "pocket money" for work, I didn't have enough for the vise that I initially wanted. So I figured I'd go back after a stop by an ATM. I did go back, between power raking and getting the Billy goat out, and changed my mind about the vise. I flipped it over and saw it is a pretty cheap vise along the lines of the ones I've busted over the years, so it stayed with the seller. The one I have now is a better built model. I had thoughts of adding a 2nd one to the other end of the workbench. But not that one.
I did get some ATF, some various waxes, etc on tge 2nd trip.
Then the new flymo tried to de finger me.
After I picked up my wife she wanted to stop and eat on the way home. So we did.
Got home and started getting stuff in the garage that we don't want getting wet, closed the pop up camper windows (we have it up and had windows open to let it air out) and I decided to see if the new flymo would start. Has a 2 cycle Tecumseh on it.
I discovered a lack of spark so I pulled the shroud, the blade brake kill switch was rusted and not "un shorting" so I disconnected the kill wire at the coil and with the shroud off and the plug out of the cylinder I spun the flywheel with my fingers in the flywheel fins. (Not the 1st time I've done that over the years but the 1st time I've been hurt in doing so.) My right middle finger ended up getting bit between the flywheel and coil, this one has an external coil, not one beneath the flywheel. Big chunk of meat, it surprisingly didn't bleed as much as I thought it might, ran in and rifled thru the boxes of band aids for the right size ones.... And barely made a mess.... Probably should go get a stitch or 2 but naaahhhh...
Got it sparking, I ended up taking the blade brake completely out as I doubt I could get a replacement now a days for a 2 cycle Tecumseh from the early 80s anyway so I'm gonna copy my older version which came factory equipped with a toggle switch for a kill mechanism. I did get it to "pop" on ether, I didn't want it to run any longer than that anyway til I mix up some 32:1 for it anyway.
Tomorrow I'll mix it up and put the shroud and flywheel back on and see if it'll start the "right way". As caked as the outside of the carb is, I'm guessing it's gonna have to come off for a dunk .. though the last time it was used they were smart enough to shut the petcock and kill the supply of fuel so maybe I'll get lucky and it'll start as is?

Last edited:
I mowed, ( front yard didn't need it that bad, side yard and backyard did.) But it's supposed to monsoon the next 2 days so I figured I'd better.
I then got the power rake out, I use it infrequently enough that about every other time I gotta dunk the carburetor to get it to run. I pulled it 2 days ago, today I reassembled it and reinstalled it, ran it thru the whole yard and went longways then crossways. It has an HS50 Tecumseh on it that dates back to 1985 but I think is much newer than the machine itself.
It was a curb find at the back of the neighborhood about 6-7 years ago/ so I couldn't say "no" to it. I really don't think that Hs50 has many hours on it at all. Sticker residue says it originally belonged to the local rental yard. I have no idea how many years it sat in that neighbors shed.

There were a few spots I was churning up dirt, but I didn't get nearly as much thatch up as I usually do, this time. I usually get more dirt up than I did this time, not that that's what I try to do. 2x ago, I tried playing with the adjustment for how deep it digs, and it was more like a tiller than the power rake that it is supposed to be. So I restored the settings to how I got it. And haven't touched those settings since.

I then got the Billy goat (lawn vac) out early/ as in before leaf harvest season, to pick up what the power rake drug up. Made no sense to power rake and leave the thatch there to go back into the lawn where it came from.....
I am disappointed as I was just outside a few minutes ago, as I had forgotten my phone in the truck (and it needs charging) and as I went to get it I was noticing how much thatch remains. I do an know I made a He11 of a dent in it though.
On the way to take my wife to work this morning she wanted to check out a garage/moving sale then hit the farmers market on the way to work. This is the first time this year of us hitting the farmers market, I was blown away at prices this year. The vendors selling prepared food, yikes. She wanted some sweet corn but not at $4 for a 1/2 dozen. We left empty handed. The guy selling butterfly pork chop sandwiches, he's dang near double last year/ I wanted one but wasn't paying $10 for one. Vendors selling baked goods, weren't any more reasonable. $8 for a cinnamon roll? Again "no way".
At the sale I got another flymo mower. This makes 2 of them I have now.
Seller had inherited the property, and this was left behind by the PO/, seller knew nothing about it. For $5, that came home. I saw a few other things I wanted, but in giving the wife some "pocket money" for work, I didn't have enough for the vise that I initially wanted. So I figured I'd go back after a stop by an ATM. I did go back, between power raking and getting the Billy goat out, and changed my mind about the vise. I flipped it over and saw it is a pretty cheap vise along the lines of the ones I've busted over the years, so it stayed with the seller. The one I have now is a better built model. I had thoughts of adding a 2nd one to the other end of the workbench. But not that one.
I did get some ATF, some various waxes, etc on tge 2nd trip.
Then the new flymo tried to de finger me.
After I picked up my wife she wanted to stop and eat on the way home. So we did.
Got home and started getting stuff in the garage that we don't want getting wet, closed the pop up camper windows (we have it up and had windows open to let it air out) and I decided to see if the new flymo would start. Has a 2 cycle Tecumseh on it.
I discovered a lack of spark so I pulled the shroud, the blade brake kill switch was rusted and not "un shorting" so I disconnected the kill wire at the coil and with the shroud off and the plug out of the cylinder I spun the flywheel with my fingers in the flywheel fins. (Not the 1st time I've done that over the years but the 1st time I've been hurt in doing so.) My right middle finger ended up getting bit between the flywheel and coil, this one has an external coil, not one beneath the flywheel. Big chunk of meat, it surprisingly didn't bleed as much as I thought it might, ran in and rifled thru the boxes of band aids for the right size ones.... And barely made a mess.... Probably should go get a stitch or 2 but naaahhhh...
Got it sparking, I ended up taking the blade brake completely out as I doubt I could get a replacement now a days for a 2 cycle Tecumseh from the early 80s anyway so I'm gonna copy my older version which came factory equipped with a toggle switch for a kill mechanism. I did get it to "pop" on ether, I didn't want it to run any longer than that anyway til I mix up some 32:1 for it anyway.
Tomorrow I'll mix it up and put the shroud and flywheel back on and see if it'll start the "right way". As caked as the outside of the carb is, I'm guessing it's gonna have to come off for a dunk .. though the last time it was used they were smart enough to shut the petcock and kill the supply of fuel so maybe I'll get lucky and it'll start as is?
Busy day DT glad you didn’t loose that finger, I’ve been there and that does hurt. I’ve been searching for a 4” vise for my son and all I have seen is junk. Fresh produce is outrageous here too like everything else is I guess no matter what we buy.

I caught the wife in a good mood, and we finished covering the second bus seat. I installed it on the Elec-Trak E12s.
The pictures make it look huge. It is a little big for the tractor but it is comfortable easy for the two of us to ride on.

Attachments

• 20220907_171932.jpg
    20220907_171932.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220907_171937.jpg
    20220907_171937.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220907_171950.jpg
    20220907_171950.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220907_171955.jpg
    20220907_171955.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220907_172006.jpg
    20220907_172006.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220907_172015.jpg
    20220907_172015.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220907_172026.jpg
    20220907_172026.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 6
took it easy today, rainy, not in mood to do much anyway, watched some football, put that flymo back together and went to see if it would run on its own w/o ether, it would only if I kept poking the primer...... so THAT carb is off in the dunk.
giving my mangled finger a chance to rest a bit before it gets tortured at work tomorrow.... why are they so sensitive to touch no matter how many bandaids they get padded with???? I wanted to fix the spring on the garage door in the attached garage, but didn't. Ive had the parts here now for a bit over 2 months now even "and still haven't done it".

Brought home a J.D. 110 the other day. Got around to messing with it today. It was supposed to be a grandfather/grandson project. The grandson discovered cars and girls and doesn't have time for it anymore. So now I own it.
When I checked for spark I discovered the sparkplug was loose. Someone had Heli coiled the plug hole but the coil was tight to the plug and not the head. You could turn it by hand but it never really got tight.
Luckily I had another 8hp Kohler on the shelf as a parts donor. It donated its head to this motor. With that in place and I was getting spark. I got it to run on carb spray but wouldn't stay running. I pulled the carb and cleaned it. Reinstalled the carb. The engine would run but wasn't getting good fuel delivery. So the donor donated its carb. Set the jets at 1 1/2 turns out and it fired right up. After warm-up and a few adjustments it is running pretty well.
I then turned my attention to the tires. It had four different tread patterns on it. It now has four matching tires. The rims are white instead of yellow but I can live with that. Next up is to address the wiring. It has the wrong ignition switch and has a toggle switch installed as a kill switch, Turning the key to the off position does nothing. The grill is in good shape, the non-headlight bezel is warped and the hood has chunks out of it. It could use a better seat. The mower deck is noisy. It will be the last thing I deal with.

Attachments

• 20220915_210731.jpg
    20220915_210731.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220915_210749.jpg
    20220915_210749.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220915_210800.jpg
    20220915_210800.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 6
Back