What are you currently working on??

The butter guy hasn't showed up yet to put the new gutters on the house. I need to get up on the deck roof and put some flashing under the drip cap and out to the deck roof to keep a water out of the deck. Normally the deck steel roof fits up under the gutter nad the foam sealing fromed strip keep and water from blowing rain from getting in. With no guttering on all the water off the house roof can run ring tdoe into the crack between the deck roof and the facis on the house. Removed the old gutter, partially tore up by the storm a couple weeks ago so I could paint the facia before the guttering went on. Couple areas were replaced but nothing painted for about 24 years since the originaol guttering was put on.

Yesterday I sold the old Snapper I had listed on Marketplace and C/L. Craigslist was a bust. Marketplace gave me about 30 hits of which 3 seemed to be legitimate. A very young couple were the first to actually show up. They were city kids who had recently moved to a small place in the country. Neither one had ever used a rider. I explained how everything worked and they each mowed part of the alley. Both were happy with it and the price. I explained everything I knew about it and had done to it.
I stressed to them the importance of shutting off the fuel line and why. Also the gas tank has a manual valve on it to vent the tank and needed to be open before using the mower. They didn’t understand why until I gave them an example of a drinking straw and putting your finger on the end, and how you could lift it and would hold the liquid in the straw until you moved your finger. She grasped the concept fight away. He was realistic about its age and prior use and no gaurantee and paid out the cash. After he loaded the mower she went over to hlm and made sure he shut off the fuel line and the vent on the tank. I get the feeling she won’t let him forget.

It was a little amusing, but I also remember how dumb I was when I first got into gas engines and things mechanical. So I wish them well and good luck!
I guess they never watched Forrest Gump? Or they decided that was "go get more munchies" time maybe

Got the flashing on the house this morning but not without some setbacks. I knew I had a box of self-tapping screws but when I grabbed them I found they were fillips head, not the 1/4 in drive I wanted. I had some hex head self-tapping screws so grabbed them and back up on the roof again. First screw I tried to put in the driver would not go. Checked the driver and it was 1/4". Back down and to the shop again. Those screws were metric head. Had a bunch of screws with a driver that came with the gutter guard. Down to the machine shed to get them. Found oput they were metrioc also but at least I had a driver for them. Back up on the roof again. My knees are hurting by this time and no flashing in place. First 10' wetn good, got it up under the drip cap and a few screws to hodl it in place. Second piece of flashing would not go under the drip cap. Run a pocket knife up under the cap and slide it along. Nothing bvloacking if I dould find. Ended up putting the flashing up under the edge of the of the roof and screwed down in a few places to hold it. Hour later it cut loose and poured for about 10 min. Got .27" in a short time but only one leak where the steel roofing was steped on in the wrong place and cracked it. Got that sealed up now. Going to get a box of 1/4" head screws with a couple extra bits to put the gutter guard on with. Will have a good supply, around 450 metric head 3/4" self=tapping screws to use some place.

Trying to get answers out of an insurance company is next to impossible. At least any answer that makes sense. Had insurance with the local county Mutual for over 30 years. You knew when you walked in the door you were going to deal with the company, period. Couple years ago three county mutuals decided it would be beneficial for the three to merge into one company. I have never seen anything beneficial for the customer that came out of a merger. This one was no exception. Now, they are up to a $45 writing fee. For what? The privilege to pay them more money? Use to have a $500 deductible. Now they have a mandatory $2500 wind and hail deductible. Wind and hail amounts to 95% of their claims. Every 6-month renewal comes with a price increase. Use inflation, cost of material and labor (Isn't that part of inflation), the increase in number of storms and large claims in recent years. OK, will give them that one but what about all the years when they had no large claims? What did they do with those premiums? Within a year of the prementioned merger, they raised my premium about 56%, increased my MANDATORY wind & hail deductible to $2500, and built a new office building! Talk about a bunch of crooks but what can you do. They are all the same. I checked out a few other companies. Several were not licensed to do business in Iowa. Others had ridiculous restrictions on manufactured homes. Others had a higher premium for some reason or other. Rant over for the day.

I guess I need to apologize to the insurance company - but I won't. I have a 8' steel tower with a plastic box blind on it I picked up at auction a few years ago. Wasn't anchored good enough and wind took it down. Repaired it and was fully functional but a bottom entrance. Had it stacked down at all 4 legs plus a anchor wire from each top corner to the steel post. Tornadic winds go ti, blew it over into the trees. Took a pic and brought in to my agent. That was over 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I got a envelope from the insurance company. Opened it up and was an adjusted claim detail and a check for A shade of $1800. I was shocked - had to look at the check 3 or 4 times. Even had Carolyn read it. They used a top of the line tower stand and box blind combo as their base price. Guess I will have a new blind to hunt out of this fall.

I guess I need to apologize to the insurance company - but I won't. I have a 8' steel tower with a plastic box blind on it I picked up at auction a few years ago. Wasn't anchored good enough and wind took it down. Repaired it and was fully functional but a bottom entrance. Had it stacked down at all 4 legs plus a anchor wire from each top corner to the steel post. Tornadic winds go ti, blew it over into the trees. Took a pic and brought in to my agent. That was over 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I got a envelope from the insurance company. Opened it up and was an adjusted claim detail and a check for A shade of $1800. I was shocked - had to look at the check 3 or 4 times. Even had Carolyn read it. They used a top of the line tower stand and box blind combo as their base price. Guess I will have a new blind to hunt out of this fall.
Still a little amazed a insurance companies would even cover a hunting blind.

Working on today? Hurting. Elbow tendonitis has decided to come back.
Having to heat and beat a couple of rotors off that didn't want to cooperate yesterday then having to toss a few semi tires today brought it back hard core. I've only used 6 "Aleve" pills so far today (not all at once) and 2 usually does the trick, the 6 so far today has barely taken the edge off.

Thursday evening- installed a new starter on yellow Sears, man they put them in the hardest place to access.
Tonight- installed new map sensor in the wife's Liberty. When shop installed new AC compressor last week, they cracked the sensor. Didn't know it until I trailered it home and it would barely run. Took a week for a new sensor from Rockauto, all local parts stores wanted $50 more for exact same sensor.
Also installed new belt on purple Sears. I have to remove axle belt guard as it's rubbing belt bad for some reason. Also need to swap carbs, have a brand new one for the predator. Sitting for 14 months, it is hunting bad so probably varnished up.

I finally picked up some hydro oil at TSC. I had drained my Simplicity 7117H last year while servicing it. I got the tranny and the bevel gear box filled back up. I took it out ran real well, the lift was strong, but once I approached a hill it would bog down. It had a new filter, I checked the fuel flow, checked the firing of both cylinders, checked the plugs, adjusted the governor, still bogged down. I looked in the fuel tank and seen some debris gathered around the outlet nipple. Today I’m going to remove the tank, clean it and replace the fuel hoses.

Attachments

• IMG_1129.jpeg
    IMG_1129.jpeg
    430.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1098.jpeg
    IMG_1098.jpeg
    551.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4163.jpeg
    IMG_4163.jpeg
    547 KB · Views: 5
I tilled up about 1/2 of my front yard a few weeks ago and raked it out/ reseeded it, and have been watering it. I didn't have to bring in any fresh dirt from elsewhere / once I raked out the high spots I had plenty.
I had raked the seed in and after the first couple of times I had the sprinkler on it I had a few puddles, and some of the seed came back to the surface in clumps/clusters. I re raked the clusters of seed into the dirt.
A few days later I put some "starter fertilizer" out, and continued to water it. A couple of hours at a time about every other day. At the beginning, I didn't water it as much as maybe I should have/ because the weather guessers were calling for rain. And it didn't. So I started watering it regardless of what the weather guessers were saying.
Here we are now about 3 weeks in, and where I re raked the clumps of seed in it looks like I never seeded it. I used the expensive Scott's "coated" seed too. I dumped nearly a whole 40 lb bag in an area about 30-35' x 30-35'.
Where I re raked it, nothing has come up. The rest of the area (About 3/4 of it) looks like I planted soybeans and crabgrass. With a little bit of fine grass mixed in here and there.
I'm disgusted, am ready to burn it down with roundup re till it and re seed it. I have another bag of Scott's seed (think it's a different variety) in the garage. What do you guys think?

A few years ago I redid part of the backyard, and had trouble getting new grass to come in there. The only thing I could get to grow was "pasture mix"
And that was a helluva lot less weedy than this expensive Scott's crap is coming in

I would never plant grass this time of year. My dad was stickler when it came to seeding grass. He always done it real late winter into early spring or late fall before the first frost. He always claimed a light snow or a lot of rain is needed to sink the seeds to sprout. Humanly done a lot of seed never get covered enough to germinate. If you’ve read my posts about my frustration shared by many farm neighbors we don’t have the quality of seed anymore. I would shelf the project until early next year. It’s a shame the loss you spent on seed I know it’s not cheap.

My stepdad took the rim off his old original Sears tire recently from his 6 horse Craftsman roughly last week. He sandblasted it a couple days ago, and today he painted it. He said he ordered some new tires too from tractor supply. Here are before and after paint pictures….

FCED5B1A-F695-495F-BF95-05A1843EB432.jpeg

04260D5B-EABE-43AF-BB20-3BD0F0D85C51.jpeg

Here are pictures of the tire, inside the tire, the tube, and the valve stem….

2CB1B6FA-6F5E-4845-9B11-F8380AB84E8E.jpeg

2A481138-F471-459C-976E-B7F3CA1B5655.jpeg

28107DAB-A955-4247-8860-2C3ACCCDD788.jpeg

FE82F442-D41F-403D-A486-BA79B7337DF3.jpeg

No experience with either of them. I usually raked the ground out smooth and fine as possible, seed it thick and scatter grass clippings over the top and water it good. Don't hurt a thing to go over it with a lawn roller too.

Back