What are you currently working on??

And this is coming from a guy who can sit and listen to auto racing all day.. ;)
Well Bill, working on running race engines and being in the pits for 35 years probably was a big contributor to going deaf. Still music to my ears though, on TV or in person! Nothing annoying about it! Doves on the other hand----!!

That is when you get hearing aides, I am deaf enough I can hardly hear without them.
I've not been wanting to spend the money on expensive hearing aids jut to have them not work, Rad. Can't afford to do it twice or more. I have a couple friends that spent over 5 grand and the hearing aids they bought are useless. All they did was magnify the "noise" not the important stuff.

DAC

The last few days have been mainly cleanup. I loaded almost a yard of mulch on Thurs from my niece who ordered way too much and needed it to be gone. Friday I cleaned up all the twigs/branches etc from her yard so I could mow. Saturday, I had a church men's breakfast, then mowed the niece's yard, came home unloaded my small trailer that my sister loaded with leftover deck materials and some landscape block. Then I had to clean up my yard from tree debris, 3 wheel barrow loaded of just small limbs and twigs, 2 big to just mulch. Mowed the yard, then picked up the front yard from all the cottonwood twigs so I can mow that today. I so want to get back to working on the carport.

These 2 are always a big help :rolleyes:

20241005_162016.jpg

Well Bill, working on running race engines and being in the pits for 35 years probably was a big contributor to going deaf. Still music to my ears though, on TV or in person! Nothing annoying about it! Doves on the other hand----!!

I've not been wanting to spend the money on expensive hearing aids jut to have them not work, Rad. Can't afford to do it twice or more. I have a couple friends that spent over 5 grand and the hearing aids they bought are useless. All they did was magnify the "noise" not the important stuff.

DAC
Hearing aids are big $$ grab from the word go. After the third pair and 6-8 years I finally got a pair that work fairly well. I got mine through the Va and they have a contract with the brand they use for a no cost repair/replace. Been on my backup pair for going on 3 weeks now as the left one on my good pair had no volume. That pair has several levels that can be adjusted from the earpiece. I turn the volume up on high when I am sitting in the deer blind. Would I spend the $3k that Carolyn did for her aids, probably if I got a written guarantee that I was 100% satisfied. The big issue with hearing aids is the technician sets them up inside a small room. That is NOT the environment we live in but try and tell them that.

Got the blind up on the tower platform this morning. 7' round blind, tower is 7' to the flatform. Few more additions and will be ready to hunt if it ever cools down. Deer are not moving when it is 84° F out there.

View attachment 86498
Saw these on FB Roger. Maybe you seen them already. Kind of cool but you need a fat wallet. In the tune of $14k.
Screenshot_20241009-103413.png

Back at clearing out the unused end of the storm damaged wood shop today. Get a bunch of loose stuff cleared out, couple cabinets off the one wall and can cut the tin roof off and get rid of it. I have the steel to cover that end, but it is under a roof laying up side down. Haven't got a guy to get here yet to roll it over. 16 X 32 with steel, 2x6 rafters and all the nailers attached.

Back at clearing out the unused end of the storm damaged wood shop today. Get a bunch of loose stuff cleared out, couple cabinets off the one wall and can cut the tin roof off and get rid of it. I have the steel to cover that end, but it is under a roof laying up side down. Haven't got a guy to get here yet to roll it over. 16 X 32 with steel, 2x6 rafters and all the nailers attached.
A lot of good lumber and steel in that roof, Roger! I bet lumber out this way may be harder to get for awhile when rebuilding in North Carolina and Florida gets rolling. I see them bulldozing up so much salvageable lumber in clean up videos, it hurts my feelings!

DAC

I know what you mean. The labor to clean it up and get it usable again makes it cost prohibitive. Can't make prisoners do anything like that anymore.

I figure there is about $1500 worth of material laying in the roof. Part of it I want to use to close in the end of the wood shop trailer.

Way of the world these days Roger. A lot of good stuff gets scrapped or thrown in the dump because labor to fix costs as much as buying new.

Speaking of the dump and prisoners, one of the work release prisons is on property that joins the dump here. They used to make the prisoners work at the dump until some bleeding heart lawyer deemed it "cruel and unusual punishment". They can sit outside on a picnic table, smoke cigarettes and watch working men do the job they could be doing now.

DAC

Got another Ranger load out of the end of the wood shop trailer yesterday. Will cut up a desk this morning so I can handle it and can get to the last little pile in the closet. Have a big toenail that is trying to get ingrown. Waiting for apt. with the foot Dr. to get that taken care of. Makes for kind of slow going. Only have another week to get this job finished as not sure just how much bending etc. I will be able to do for a while after the back work on the 28th. Get it cleared back to a wall across width with only a couple doors, then put up a tarp for temp enclosure, cut the tin roof back and fold it down. That will keep the weather out for while, at least till I can get some steel off the other roof that is upside down put on there.

Three ranger loads out this morning. First load got the old desk in 4 pieces and a bunch of small stuff. Second load got the top cabinet in 3 pieces and a bunch of small stuff. Last load got the bottom set of drawers and the rest of the small stuff from the closet. Just about to the point of closing off 2 openings in a wall, one on each end and closing off the usable part of the wood shop. If I don't get the rest of the junk tore out and hauled of till later on won't bother much. Time to spend some time in my deer blind with the cross bow and a rifle.

SAM_2195.JPG SAM_2196.JPG

SAM_2197.JPG SAM_2198.JPG

My neighbor gave me this generator. He said it has a good motor but doesn’t make power. It has an 8hp B&S with an interesting exhaust setup lol. It needs the carburetor cleaned, and the gas tank is full of water, but I put a little gas in the spark plug hole and it started. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it. Probably save the motor and scrap the rest. I doubt it would be worth fixing it as a generator unless it’s something simple.
B924B2CE-09CF-4B77-BC87-8465CA118C86.jpeg8A85DB12-A4B2-4D00-A4B1-8DDB45CC338A.jpegFFD68E6F-399A-4E4E-AC61-FC025DB9D71D.jpeg1B73F7A6-835E-4BAD-8064-7A08451303E3.jpeg

My neighbor gave me this generator. He said it has a good motor but doesn’t make power. It has an 8hp B&S with an interesting exhaust setup lol. It needs the carburetor cleaned, and the gas tank is full of water, but I put a little gas in the spark plug hole and it started. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it. Probably save the motor and scrap the rest. I doubt it would be worth fixing it as a generator unless it’s something simple.
View attachment 87018View attachment 87019View attachment 87020View attachment 87021
The previous owner made a big effort to quiet that generator! That plastic tank can be cleaned if it didn't freeze and split. I have an air filter that might fit that engine. Came with a carb I bought for a 1973 Briggs 8 HP. Air filter don't fit my engine. Give me measurements and if it fits I'll send it, Nick.

DAC

The previous owner made a big effort to quiet that generator! That plastic tank can be cleaned if it didn't freeze and split. I have an air filter that might fit that engine. Came with a carb I bought for a 1973 Briggs 8 HP. Air filter don't fit my engine. Give me measurements and if it fits I'll send it, Nick.

DAC
Knowing my neighbor, I’d say it’s more likely he needed a muffler and that’s just what he had laying around. The plastic tank looks like it’s in good shape. I can’t say the same thing about the metal tank that’s laying on top though. C5C6371A-D0B7-4E34-A9EA-92563B70F4DA.jpeg
Could be an easy fix to make the generator generate again. "Loss of Residual Magnetism ". Never tried it myself. Check out the video below. Seems to be common problem that happens with age..
Thanks for the link, I will try that.

Knowing my neighbor, I’d say it’s more likely he needed a muffler and that’s just what he had laying around. The plastic tank looks like it’s in good shape. I can’t say the same thing about the metal tank that’s laying on top though. View attachment 87038

Thanks for the link, I will try that.
I would say the steel tank might be done for---LOL! I've got a steel tank that looks great on the outside but inside is bad. I considered tumbling BB's or small gravel in it until I discovered it has a full size baffle in it. just a couple small holes under it for fuel to get to the fuel line valve. No way to clean that portion of the tank and trust it. Haven't scrapped it yet but not much else can be done with it.

DAC

Back