What are you currently working on??

I find cucumber tastes best when I bust them in half and throw them to the chickens. :D I do love me some pickles though.

Drilled and tapped a broken bolt on the Purple Sears this morning.
The rest of the day was spent replacing all the trim, seals, and brick molding around a garage door for a friend/client. I was in the sun most of the day. Working in an air conditioned lab for the last 24 yrs sure made me soft :rolleyes:

You and me both Marty, don't care for the taste of cucumbers but love about any style of pickle.

Last edited:
Going to Omaha this morning to pick up a 16 hp B&S Vanguard. Want it as a replacement in an IH CC 1650. Will take some modifications but nothing to serious I don't think. It it gets to be a ton of work will save it for another project down the road and part out the 1650.

Not that I wanted to... I could have just did a 45 minuet drive and sit for two hours while they fixed this. Instead I decided to use the full size spare and drop the tire off Monday, and pick it up after work. I found a small pouch that I hadn't seen before and it is full of metric wrenches. How cool is that? A full size spare and tools! I was on un-even ground so I used two jacks. took longer to clean the trunk out to get to the spare than change it. This tire is only 3 months old, hope it is not too close to the side wall for them to repair (Discount Tire) policy.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 9
was mowing the paddock during the week IMG_20190816_093724.jpg IMG_20190816_093737.jpg
and it developed a oil leak from the engine , (1970's Rover Rancher 2 ,$100 special ,11 HP briggs 5 sp manual, brought it when i wasn't well) seat and cutter deck is tatty and needs a seat pad ,i use a cushion for the moment , not the correct paint either looks like $2 spray can job but runs well

1st thought it was the lower crank seal but having a better look turns out it was the filler tube had been loose and wore the plastic a bit which let it come up out the seal recess a tad to leak .

i cut a small piece of plastic hose for the moment and removed the bracket on the engine that holds the filler tube in place then sat the hose in between the filler tube and tube bracket and done the little bolt up to hold the filler tube down nice and firm, no more leaks now

Shane

was mowing the paddock during the week
and it developed a oil leak from the engine , (1970's Rover Rancher 2 ,$100 special ,11 HP briggs 5 sp manual, brought it when i wasn't well) seat and cutter deck is tatty and needs a seat pad ,i use a cushion for the moment , not the correct paint either looks like $2 spray can job but runs well

1st thought it was the lower crank seal but having a better look turns out it was the filler tube had been loose and wore the plastic a bit which let it come up out the seal recess a tad to leak .

i cut a small piece of plastic hose for the moment and removed the bracket on the engine that holds the filler tube in place then sat the hose in between the filler tube and tube bracket and done the little bolt up to hold the filler tube down nice and firm, no more leaks now

Shane

That's a darn good repair on a cheap workhorse, Shane! Wish I could run into cheap and free deals like you do!

I'm hoping that the 4th try on my wife's '06 Yukon hydroboost unit is going to work! It better as this time it cost $270 bucks! I went through 3 "American made" seals where the leak was and all of them leaked worse than the original one. I was out of time to get any more seals from a "Chinese" outfit in time to go to Denver Friday. In this case a China one probably would have been better! I called around again and the local NAPA did find one hydroboost unit in their warehouse so I figured I better grab it. There was more drama as I got the core out of the truck and went to NAPA just before they closed at 5 pm last night. I opened the box and the fitting placement and mounting bracket looked right so home I went. I get home and get things ready to install and there was no master cylinder push rod, spring or retainer that holds them in the new one! Then I find a note in the bottom of the box that says that stuff must be re-used from the old unit. It was too late to go back and get it figured out so right after I got off work this morning it was head for NAPA again to get my needed parts! I took the tools to split the case in the core unit as the retainer is too easy to damage without disassembly. It's no problem installing it in a new unit though that is already assembled. I had to use the tailgate of my '72 GMC for a workbench to split the core to get my parts out in the parking lot, but they were ok with that. Good thing I took a chunk of cardboard with me as they are messy to open. I assembled the core again and gave it back. Had the truck running by noon. Then it was time to clean the shop and maybe get back to a normal life! Lots of power steering fluid spilled on the floor to clean up. Then I loaded 6-55 gallon bags of crushed aluminum cans in the '72 to take to the scrapyard. I hadn't done that for a year and a half! Probably still around 45 cents a pound I suppose, and it should be about 90-100 pounds.

DAC

Last edited:
Busy day! After breakfast, fixed Allis's loose ground cable, clamp on end, so I shortened the wire, soldered it then put the clamp back on good & tight. Reset one of her flag holders that didn't suit me. Put a new ignition switch on PK. And a couple small shop projects after picking up last night's sticks out of the yard, durned Maple & Birch trees!

This afternoon, it was time to wash LA & Cubby!

That's a darn good repair on a cheap workhorse, Shane! Wish I could run into cheap and free deals like you do!

I'm hoping that the 4th try on my wife's '06 Yukon hydroboost unit is going to work! It better as this time it cost $270 bucks! I went through 3 "American made" seals where the leak was and all of them leaked worse than the original one. I was out of time to get any more seals from a "Chinese" outfit in time to go to Denver Friday. In this case a China one probably would have been better! I called around again and the local NAPA did find one hydroboost unit in their warehouse so I figured I better grab it. There was more drama as I got the core out of the truck and went to NAPA just before they closed at 5 pm last night. I opened the box and the fitting placement and mounting bracket looked right so home I went. I get home and get things ready to install and there was no master cylinder push rod, spring or retainer that holds them in the new one! Then I find a note in the bottom of the box that says that stuff must be re-used from the old unit. It was too late to go back and get it figured out so right after I got off work this morning it was head for NAPA again to get my needed parts! I took the tools to split the case in the core unit as the retainer is too easy to damage without disassembly. It's no problem installing it in a new unit though that is already assembled. I had to use the tailgate of my '72 GMC for a workbench to split the core to get my parts out in the parking lot, but they were ok with that. Good thing I took a chunk of cardboard with me as they are messy to open. I assembled the core again and gave it back. Had the truck running by noon. Then it was time to clean the shop and maybe get back to a normal life! Lots of power steering fluid spilled on the floor to clean up. Then I loaded 6-55 gallon bags of crushed aluminum cans in the '72 to take to the scrapyard. I hadn't done that for a year and a half! Probably still around 45 cents a pound I suppose, and it should be about 90-100 pounds.

DAC
Sad i brought 2 seals so now i'll have 1 spare after i do another engine 11HP,I have 8 of those machines in total some paid for some from curbside 2 from rubbish dumps lol its a shame they are so light in weight though , my day was easy compared to yours though , hate it though when buying stuff and it's not right or bits missing So frustrating

Shane

Took the cans to the scrapyard and the price is down quite a bit now. I had 107 lbs of crushed cans and it was 35 cents a pound. $37 bucks and some odd change. Still worth it i guess but no sense waiting 'till the price goes up. Since my wife is unemployed for a while, my off work Mondays are not as efficient getting stuff done. She needed to do a few stops but I told her we are taking the '72 home as I want to put a few miles on her Denali to check for leaks. There was a slight dampness at the weep hole in the hydroboost that spooked me until it dawned on me that I didn't dry out the back of the brake master cylinder that was full of power steering fluid due to that leak. Sure enough, the weep hole was dry as a bone when we got back home, so that bit of fluid must have come out of the master cylinder piston cavity. Everything seems ok with it now. Ready for the 1000 mile round trip to Denver. We always use her truck because my sisters both have puny, uncomfortable little cars that we can't all fit in.

Greased the MF12G and put a new air filter on it for mowing today too.

DAC

The bigger the tractor the heavier the deck. The deck under my Bolens QT16 is heavy enough. Usually pull the decks right in front of the shop, move the tractor and can lift the deck with old overhead wagon hoist with a chain hoist hanging on it.

Still painting for my clients, takes forever when you constantly have to move furniture. Got probably another 2 to 3 weeks of work of painting, lights, now a sink/fixtures, they've added painting finished basement and adding lights.

I cleaned up a bunch of hardware for purple sears, washed in acetone them laid it out to dry so I could paint. Flash storm came in, blew in under carport and soaked my hardware while I was gone. Now I gotta clean it all again since it rusted. :mad:

I'm working on a larger wood burner for the shop. It's homemade, but it does make some heat. Gonna be a nice improvement, just need more wood but can use larger logs in it and not have to feed it so often. I'll get some pics.

One of the sheaves on the M&W zero-turn's deck came off the spindle while mowing. Possibly salvagable, but decided to order a new cast iron replacement anyhow. If I can salvage this one it'll put it with the spare spindles and other parts. There is supposed to be a 5/16-24 bolt and washer on top to keep it from riding up and off the shaft, but either I forgot to put one on when I rebuilt the spindles earlier this year or it came off. Obviously, since I never make mistakes it must have come off somehow. :)

MW_sheave.jpg

Last edited:
I finally pulled out the engine from my 01 Durango after sitting nearly 3 years collecting dust, over this past weekend. Lots of miles, put the engine that I just pulled, into it 3 years ago and the replacement went all of 6 miles, long story but when I recently dug into it I found out that the problems are from the brand new (NOT Reman) heads that we're supposed to be bolt on ready, were assembled with too tight of guide clearance and the valves were all sticking, #4 exhaust was still wide open 2-3/4 years later, and it's pushrod was bent.

Last night I dropped the 2nd replacement engine in all by myself, what a pain it is to do alone. Jump in engine compartment, play with cherry picker,. climb out and adjust Jack under the trans, climb back in, adjust cherry picker, pry this way and that way, untangle wiring and fuel line, shake engine and dislodge trans dipstick tube, listen to 2-3 quarts of ATF make a lake underneath, climb back out and adjust trans jack, climb back in, repeat. It's in and all bolted in, mounts and bell housing all in and tight,
Now to put manifolds on (intake and exhaust) and put the front of the engine back together (alternator, ac compressor, ps pump fuel rail, and wire it all up)---- then put radiator and condenser back in along with core support, then drag it out of garage and push it in other stall on to the lift and bolt up everything underneath.

I wanted to dump this thing at the time but it's from the south with no rust and the wife loves it for some reason I don't know. So it stays til the wheels fall off

Back