What are you currently working on??

Last evening I was starting the woodstove, and my wife asked if it is supposed to be giving a cloud of black smoke.... Uh, no, crap, that is a roar in the chimney. Flames shooting out the top. That was the fastest I ever set up a ladder. So today was cleaning up after that. And the things on the to do list got pushed back.
Dang Shorty, sure hope you didn't get any damage from the fire! That was a close call, could have been a disaster!

DAC

I wouldn't mind finding one of those plain, simple mini bikes like I would see in the 1960's. I've got a NOS 25 year old H40 Tec that needs to go into something! Think Manco made some back in the day. They could be bought at just about any department store, and even a couple of local grocery stores had them when I was a kid.

DAC

No fire damage that I could find. Thankfully it was a well built chimney. It was likely a minute or so away from spreading.
It's a good thing you are spry enough to go into action so fast! Good job saving your house and maybe lives too!

DAC

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind finding one of those plain, simple mini bikes like I would see in the 1960's. I've got a NOS 25 year old H40 Tec that needs to go into something! Think Manco made some back in the day. They could be bought at just about any department store, and even a couple of local grocery stores had them when I was a kid.

DAC

If you were closer i have a couple basic frames I'd just give you one. Bought them for the engines.

I wish I could find a 70s HS50 lighted tecumseh...dad bought one off ebay 5 years ago for 450 dollars....not paying that much

If you were closer i have a couple basic frames I'd just give you one. Bought them for the engines.

I wish I could find a 70s HS50 lighted tecumseh...dad bought one off ebay 5 years ago for 450 dollars....not paying that much
Wow, Aaron I wish you were closer too! HS50, a snowblower engine I think? I put a lighted HS100 in my MF8E. Been a real good engine.

DAC

Working in the garage for once, working on porting a head for a truck engine that I have in the machine shop. At least the block and crank is in the machine shop.
It's an engine that was around forever it seemed and can't believe it has been gone for as long as it has been either. Sounds like alot of the tractor engines I work on huh? An engine that we used to trip over in the junkyard on the way to find a v8 to stick in in its place.... Yeah, I am working on a slant 6.
The cam is in transit via the Post office on the way to Vancouver Washington for a regrind. I'm not going crazy, turning the original cam into what used to be known as an "RV cam". Just barely over stock but everything will have a fresh surface to start with like the rest of the moving parts.
It's like the newer gt engines in that it has solid lifters and the lash needs adjusted.
I used to set a bunch of them back in the day, leave em idle with the valve cover off and try getting a socket on the adjuster and a feeler gauge between the valve and rocker arm while it's all moving around. It wasn't as bad as it sounds after you get the 1st couple of them set.

Did the yearly on the wheeler.
1999 Honda Foreman 400, full time 4x4 with manual shift and reverse. Need to replace a few plastic panel plugs, needs new tires, and (the most dreaded) the front brakes are soft again. The bleeding procedure for these I think was invented during WWII in a prisoner camp.
6659E4CA-F5CA-44E7-9532-F1B01C118808.jpeg
Still trying to figure out why the odometer and hour meter don’t work, also.

Got stuck twice on the lake yesterday. It was cold enough there wasn’t any slush, so I should of been fine. Either new tires or leave the chains on all winter. I remove them because I bop around the hood with it, and don’t want to mark up someone’s driveway.image.jpg

Last edited:
Last night I finished wiring and installing the new fan/light in our new bedroom we are remodeling. It used to be my mom's family room, we no longer need it as such so wifey wanted a large master bedroom. There was only 2 spot lights on the fireplace so I had to run wires in the attic and to ad light switches. Glad that is done.
Tonight I installed a new smaller baseboard heater in mom's old bedroom, I building wall closets in each corner so heater needed to be shortened. This room will be light a giant walk in closet/possibly exercise room.....more likely end up a storage room also.

Working in the garage for once, working on porting a head for a truck engine that I have in the machine shop. At least the block and crank is in the machine shop.
It's an engine that was around forever it seemed and can't believe it has been gone for as long as it has been either. Sounds like alot of the tractor engines I work on huh? An engine that we used to trip over in the junkyard on the way to find a v8 to stick in in its place.... Yeah, I am working on a slant 6.
The cam is in transit via the Post office on the way to Vancouver Washington for a regrind. I'm not going crazy, turning the original cam into what used to be known as an "RV cam". Just barely over stock but everything will have a fresh surface to start with like the rest of the moving parts.
It's like the newer gt engines in that it has solid lifters and the lash needs adjusted.
I used to set a bunch of them back in the day, leave em idle with the valve cover off and try getting a socket on the adjuster and a feeler gauge between the valve and rocker arm while it's all moving around. It wasn't as bad as it sounds after you get the 1st couple of them set.
Dodgetrucker,

You may already know about these, but check out Clifford Performance 6=8, and Hughes Performance in Washington, il.

Yup.been to hughes a couple of times. They're just started getting into the slant 6.
Never bought anything from Clifford but on the slant 6 site been hearing nothing but reports of poor service for a while now. They're saying that if you want anything from them nowadays you're better off finding their stuff on the used market like swap meets and such.

got called into work today. This don't happen very often, I guess I get something called "double time" (trying to be funny there, OT is an extreme rarity for me at my job, and Sundays are double time.... worked a little over 7 hours....) They woke me up at 7 with 3 dead plow trucks (2 of which I could do nothing with, because I can't get fan clutch parts for an International 7400 on a Sunday) the other one was a nasty drippy combo of hydraulic oil and cold melty snow, a hydraulic hose that controls plow swing left to right had blown.... takes longer to fish it out from the bundle, fish the new one back in, and tie it all up out of harm's way, than to make the hose.... and 3 others had come in with various issues, while I was there...... twice, I asked how things were going on their side, and all was good... for about 2 minutes after I asked/ before another one came in with an issue.

I told them I'd be in as soon as I could get 2 vehicles dug out and defrosted here at home, and my driveway clear because (I thought anyway) my wife was supposed to go to work.. she didn't. NO OT any day of any week at her job.
I had more traction trouble than ever with my Ariens GT19 and snow blower, had to get off and push with the wheels going more times than any time since I have had it... I think there was ice under the snow. The snow was definitely heavy "heart attack" variety today. I got my 2 driveways clear and left. but since the plow had been thru, I couldn't quite tell where the edge of the driveway was, and ran the tractor right down in the ditch.... I had to snatch it out with the Durango..... then did the other driveway. While I could keep it moving along it cleared things fine, ate and spit out all I could throw at it. I have 11 discarded brake rotors hanging on the 3 point, plus cast iron weights on the wheels, and V tread tires. always went thru anything it needed to before this storm.

My MTD 2 cycle paddle blower was about worthless today, I did the front porch with it, every time I would stop moving to take the next swipe it was plugged. spent more time unplugging it than blowing snow with it. I have had better luck with wet and heavy, with the paddle style ones that have the vanes that go the whole width of the machine rather than ones with a rotating chute.

Well---I'm officially a quitter! Japan won the war on the old Camry---LOL! When I tried to get the intake manifold off, there were two bolts underneath that I can't see much less reach. Can catch a glimpse of them from under the car but there's a lot of other stuff to remove to get at them. Fortunately I tried to get at them first rather than removing the ones I could see! Got it mostly put back together to sell as a repair or parts car. Still runs well but the bearings ain't gonna like water in the oil very long. It's been in the family since new, a brother-in-law bought it in '95 gave it to my Mom in 2001 and she gave it to our daughter in 2009. Served us pretty well but it's about ready to scrap! Plates are due in February so I won't have to cough up the money for that too.

DAC

Finally got the 12v socket/usb/volt meter mounted. I have a bit of run time on it so far, the box my BIL made on his 3D printer is holding up fine.
C274D708-D73A-48C2-8A0B-168E8556EB8F.jpegDCEEC476-55B0-4C0F-A3FF-035058B22CE2.jpeg6D2C2EE7-C1B1-4070-9E1D-3323D2234F3E.jpeg02875137-D435-4187-A6E6-2DF3618DD6A6.jpeg

Well---I'm officially a quitter! Japan won the war on the old Camry---LOL! When I tried to get the intake manifold off, there were two bolts underneath that I can't see much less reach. Can catch a glimpse of them from under the car but there's a lot of other stuff to remove to get at them. Fortunately I tried to get at them first rather than removing the ones I could see! Got it mostly put back together to sell as a repair or parts car. Still runs well but the bearings ain't gonna like water in the oil very long. It's been in the family since new, a brother-in-law bought it in '95 gave it to my Mom in 2001 and she gave it to our daughter in 2009. Served us pretty well but it's about ready to scrap! Plates are due in February so I won't have to cough up the money for that too.

DAC
Before you give up completely, put a bottle of K-Seal in the and run it good. Got to get it good and reasonably hot for it to work good. May not be permanent fix but will work for a long time.

Spent about 3 hrs. yesterday cutting some logs and splitting some wood. Going to finish splitting/stacking that today to prepare for the cold weather coming in a few days. Some of this wood is about 16 inch diameter, so I'll have some good split white oak to keep me warm!

Back